PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with my tank?

speakerpedal
01-19-2010, 04:47 AM
I've done tests on my tank and have found no amonia nitrates or nitrites. The ph is around 7.2 and I've made sure everything I put into my tank doesn't have any copper. At the worst I've added flourish but the dosage is extremely small not to mention the percent of copper in the thing (.00001% or something along those lines). the temperature is about 75 degrees f and I've got some java moss, a miramo ball, and a few other small plants in the tank. I've taken each step to make this place shrimp friendly but for some odd reason I'll find dead ones more often than usual, and the live ones I have in there, (particularly the cherries) act sluggish. So what else could it be? I haven't had this problem before with my amanos and if anything they were alive for a while until I added some cherries. I didn't dump the bag water in either. any clues? could it be when I add more water? I make sure to dechlorinate before I pour the water in (which is from the tap). So anyone got any clues on this? I'd really like to find out why my shrimp seem so stressed.

Best,
Matt

sheamurai
01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Are you sure your test kit is good? I think its pretty rare to find a freshwater tank with zero nitrates. Maybe take a sample to the fish store for testing?
Sorry to ask this, but I don't know how long you've been keeping fish - are you sure you are finding dead shrimp and not just the molted skins? I know the first skin I found I first thought was a dead shrimp.
As far as the sluggish behaviour, it could be anything like contaminated decorations (any new ones in there?) or perhaps not enough hiding places for the shrimp to feel comfortable? Bad/not enough food? Heck, maybe they have a disease particular to shrimp? Just throwing some ideas out there...

smaug
01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
The test kits for nitrates can be very picky.If you are using the api liquid test kit,the #2 bottle must be shaken very vigourously to make sure it is properly agitated.If this step is not taken then the readings can vary by alot.I assume you are using a liquid test kit as the dip strips are next to usless.

speakerpedal
01-20-2010, 03:05 AM
The test kits for nitrates can be very picky.If you are using the api liquid test kit,the #2 bottle must be shaken very vigourously to make sure it is properly agitated.If this step is not taken then the readings can vary by alot.I assume you are using a liquid test kit as the dip strips are next to usless.
I sure am. as for the other comment, naw they aren't skins, they have molted a couple times but I don't think I've confused them for dead ones or vice versa. I've got some drift wood as well as a miramo moss ball, not to mention a couple plants. when I add new water is the a certain amount of time I should wait for the dechlor to take affect? I usually wait 10 minutes or so and try to bring it at a similar ph.