PDA

View Full Version : O MY GOD!! This is making me soooooooo angry!!

EmmanuelJB
01-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Ok I was looking through the fish questions on yahoo answers and this question came up-
"Betta Fish??? Are they supposed to live in small tanks or big ones?
I'm confused. Some sights I read says that Betta's need big tanks, others say that they live in small tanks better. Which is it?? Either I'm going to get a 1.5 gallon tank or a 3 gallon tank. The 1.5 would be better but whatever is best for the Betta. Also is there anything else I should know about taking care of them or are they just like regular fish?"

The Question isn't the bad part its the answer that someone wrote that makes me mad! This is one of the answers-
"
Well I would personally get the 1.5 gallon tank Betta fish are not that big and they will never grow too big so 1.5 is best.

Other notes
>Don't ever put two Betta fish in one tank
>They don't require any major caring
>Normal fish food is fine don't go for that expensive not needed stuff they try to sell you"

It just makes me sooo mad! "A 1.5 gallon tank would be better than a 3 gallon." What the HECK?

EmmanuelJB
01-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Heres another answer that someone just posted!
"Betas don't need a large aquarium. Just don't put two males together! If all you will have is one Betta fish, a large one gallon fish bowl will do nicely. If you plan on putting some other fish with the Betta, then a 2 1/2 gallon aquarium will suffice. Make sure you treat the water and keep the water temperature about 78 degrees. You don't need to aerate the water unless you have fish besides the Betta in the bowl or aquarium. The 1 1/2 gallon tank you spoke of would work fine. Enjoy your Betta! They're as close to a pet as you can get with a fish!"

If you don't know what your talking about don't answer questions!!

I wish that YAHOO Answers wouldn't reward people with Points for answering questions. Rewarding people just makes people post anything for the points. Now the betta this person is purchasing is going to go in a 1.5 gallon tank when it could of been in a 3 gallon!! It just bugs me!

EmmanuelJB
01-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Heres another stupid answer!
"the 1.5 gallon is perfect i have a one gallon and my fish is just fine .Bettas seem to do better in smaller areas so they wont be so overwhelmed goodluck"

Heres the link to the question:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100118163103AAwhKlF&r=w#Eq1rGkfpBke..vv0g9Mp

AmyLynn
01-19-2010, 12:58 AM
The problem is that many many people believe that because it's what they are taught by the stores. There isn't much you can do to educate those who don't wish to be educated.

EmmanuelJB
01-19-2010, 01:08 AM
I don't know if its just me but i think its kinda common sense. Bigger tank or smaller tank? Box on the Streat or House?

AmyLynn
01-19-2010, 01:12 AM
Common sense to some people is keeping goldfish in a bowl. *shrug* Most people equate small fish to small bowl and few requirements. Look at what most stores keep and sell them in.

EmmanuelJB
01-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Common sense to some people is keeping goldfish in a bowl. *shrug* Most people equate small fish to small bowl and few requirements. Look at what most stores keep and sell them in.
Ya I guess your right.

Oscar_freak12321
01-19-2010, 01:21 AM
EJB...is Emmanuel on the question you?

EmmanuelJB
01-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Ya Emmanuel is me.

Oscar_freak12321
01-19-2010, 01:29 AM
Then bravo! :22:

EmmanuelJB
01-19-2010, 02:03 AM
Then bravo! :22:
Thanks!:thankyouyellow:

Lady Hobbs
01-19-2010, 11:34 AM
I like the question best. Do Betta's live in small tanks or large tanks because she doesn't know whether to get a 1.5 gallon or a 3. Hahahaha Like 3 gal is a whopper of a tank.

Rhaethe
01-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I like the question best. Do Betta's live in small tanks or large tanks because she doesn't know whether to get a 1.5 gallon or a 3. Hahahaha Like 3 gal is a whopper of a tank.

Wow. Even my boyfriend, who has no knowledge or experience whatsoever of fishkeeping, considers 5-10 as "small" with anything less as "damn tiny".

Crispy
01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
put it in a drinking glass and call it a day. :hmm3grin2orange:

annageckos
01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
One of the problems are that people think that bettas live in little mud puddles. In the dry season they can survive in small puddles of mud but it is stressful for them and many die. They can survive in the hoof prints of cattle that fill with water, but only for a time. Outside of the dry season they live in shollow rice paddies and other waterways too. Shallow can be inches or feet deep. Mostly the water would be between 1-3 feet deep, slow moving and choked with vegitation. I personaly don't like to keep bettas in anything less that 5 gallons. And would never keep them in one gallon or less.

geminidragn
01-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Well I would personally get the 1.5 gallon tank Betta fish are not that big and they will never grow too big so 1.5 is best.

That's not true. Betta fish will grow as big as the tank allows. If you keep it in a small tank it will stay small ; if you keep it in a bigger tank then it will get bigger. They are like goldfish; they grow to proportionate size to the tank.

I have all my fish in ten gallon tanks; the males tanks are divided so technically they are in a 5 gallon. My biggest male is also my oldest at 3yrs (for me) and he is 3 inches long not including the tail. When you get them at the store they are usually less than an inch (for the smaller ones). My females (3) share one ten gallon and they are all almost 2 inches and I have only had them for 4-5 months, so they grew pretty fast because of the bigger tank.

xximanoobxx
01-20-2010, 08:21 AM
OMG this will make me angry if it happens to me.

Lady Hobbs
01-20-2010, 09:43 AM
?????????????

If WHAT happens to you? Aren't we talking about tank size for Betta's?

souly
01-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Oh...SO MAD at the other responces! Those people KNOW nothing. That kid's betta's going to die in its first week.

Aeonflame
01-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Yahoo answers pisses me off. A lot. Trust me guys, the more you read there, the more irritating its going to become.

annageckos
01-20-2010, 04:38 PM
That's not true. Betta fish will grow as big as the tank allows. If you keep it in a small tank it will stay small ; if you keep it in a bigger tank then it will get bigger. They are like goldfish; they grow to proportionate size to the tank.

I have all my fish in ten gallon tanks; the males tanks are divided so technically they are in a 5 gallon. My biggest male is also my oldest at 3yrs (for me) and he is 3 inches long not including the tail. When you get them at the store they are usually less than an inch (for the smaller ones). My females (3) share one ten gallon and they are all almost 2 inches and I have only had them for 4-5 months, so they grew pretty fast because of the bigger tank.

I hope you are either quoting the site everyone is talking about or kidding. The only reason fish 'grow to the size of the tank' is because they get thier growth is stunted. It is very damaging to the fish and will kill them, weather it be weeks, months or years. But to put a fish in a tank that you know is too small is animal cruality. This is one of those myths that needs to be disspelled. You wouldn't keep a dog in a crate to stunt its growth, or feed it less to stunt it's growth. Why do it to a fish?

Taurus
01-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Yahoo answers pisses me off. A lot. Trust me guys, the more you read there, the more irritating its going to become.

It's not a reliable source of good answers nor goods questions.

Scrup
01-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Yahoo answers is always good for a laugh, thats about it. Do not every believe anything you read, unless they quote a reputable site, or are stating that they sky is blue. Aside from that, its garbage.

geminidragn-
I hope your not serious...
Fish do not grow in direct proportion to the size of the tank. They can be stunted (at a severe health cost) by being kept in a tank that is too small, but they will very rarely mind having a tank that is too large.

EmmanuelJB
01-21-2010, 12:46 AM
This was the best answer picked for the question: "How many fishes are alot for a 1 gallon tank?
what would u consider a lot of fishes for a 1 gallon tank? no dumb answers plz (:
2 days ago
Additional Details
how many fishes would be too many for a 1.5 gallon tank?... how much space does a fish need? no dumb answers plz(:
2 days ago?

K so this was the best answer picked:
"probably just a few tetras becuz 1 gallon is very small (you know the blue and red little fish)"

O my freakin word! Come On!!

geminidragn
01-21-2010, 05:38 AM
I hope you are either quoting the site everyone is talking about or kidding. The only reason fish 'grow to the size of the tank' is because they get thier growth is stunted. It is very damaging to the fish and will kill them, weather it be weeks, months or years. But to put a fish in a tank that you know is too small is animal cruality. This is one of those myths that needs to be disspelled. You wouldn't keep a dog in a crate to stunt its growth, or feed it less to stunt it's growth. Why do it to a fish?

I was referring to what Emmanuel posted---RE:Well I would personally get the 1.5 gallon tank Betta fish are not that big and they will never grow too big so 1.5 is best.

I was referring to the bold part. Personally, I would think people would use common sense and think about how they would like to live. That is why I have saved so many Betta fish and will not get any other fish; because I can't see how such beautiful fish are the only fish put in small cups and sold. All the other fish are put into nice big tanks because they can "get along" with each other. Every male and female that I have adopted have been put in much bigger tanks and have grown much bigger than what the average person believes or was told. Like the person Emmanuel is talking about; they thing that Betta fish won't grow very big so they should only get a 1.5 gallon tank and think nothing about it. The only time that I use a 1.5 gallon tank is for isolation or quarantine.

geminidragn
01-21-2010, 05:46 AM
This was the best answer picked for the question: "How many fishes are alot for a 1 gallon tank?
what would u consider a lot of fishes for a 1 gallon tank? no dumb answers plz (:
2 days ago
Additional Details
how many fishes would be too many for a 1.5 gallon tank?... how much space does a fish need? no dumb answers plz(:
2 days ago?

K so this was the best answer picked:
"probably just a few tetras becuz 1 gallon is very small (you know the blue and red little fish)"

O my freakin word! Come On!!

From what I know, if you are using neon tetras in a 1.5 gallon tank then I would think that no more 5 or 6. If you are using a Betta fish then get a bigger tank.

Pele
01-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Gemidragon...
You are either an epic troll (and thats my job) or just plain ignorent. Please refere to the ebook on the left, look at the profiles, or stop posting in this thread

EmmanuelJB
01-21-2010, 10:48 PM
From what I know, if you are using neon tetras in a 1.5 gallon tank then I would think that no more 5 or 6. If you are using a Betta fish then get a bigger tank.
Are you serious?!?!? No fish can live in a 1.5 gallon, especially neon tetras!!!

EmmanuelJB
01-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Another Stupid Answer!
Question-
"Cool/cute small fish or something?!?
i have NO fish in a 6 gallon tank what kind of fish/ invertebrate could be put into it?"

Answer-
"A betta would be very happy in a 6gal tank. You could put one or two tetras or a goldfish in their. You could put some shrimp in there or some snails or clams. A crayfish would be neat too!"

This person starts out with a good answer. They should have stopped at the first sentence.

At least some people know what they are talking about:
Other Answers-
"1 betta"

"For fish a betta would be great.
For inverts you could try:
Some Snails (Apple/Mystery)
Shrimp
Clams

EDIT: If you are looking at somthing that isn't a fish, an african dwarf frog or 2 would be an option."

"Betta, shrimp, and snails are really your only commonly available options. Make sure you have a heater and your tank is fully cycled before adding any fish."

EmmanuelJB
01-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Another Awsome Answer, NOT!
Question:
"About how much is a 3-4 gallon tank?
How much would it cost, about? About how heavy is it with water, ect? could I put a betta for decoration on my shelf?"

Answer:
"4 gallon tank will weigh around 32, just for the water. Add in the tank, filter, bottom cover, your looking at 40.

Bettas are good on a shelf in a small bowl.
My daughter received a betta as a gift and it lasted 5 years. Fed it 2-3 food pellets everyday, changed the water every month and kept the roots from the plant suspended above the water trimmed."

(I bolded the parts that were TOTALLY incorrect.) I guess its not their fault for not knowing, although the should have done research before getting their betta and should have definatley double checked their info before posting it.

Another answer to this question:
"
you can buy them at wal mart for like 25-40 dollars this is a complete set ( filter, carbon, light, food,) at that size the light should heat the water. with gravel and plant's if you want decor should run you between 55 and 60 dollars

i have a 2.5 gal with a feeder goldfish on a self if a self is installed right it should hold the weight and then some"

Again I bolded the incorrect info! Feeder goldfish in a 2.5 gallon!!??

By the way these were the only 2 answers for this question....

Scrup
01-22-2010, 12:39 AM
You are either an epic troll (and thats my job) or just plain ignorent. Please refere to the ebook on the left, look at the profiles, or stop posting in this thread

Please learn to spell ignorant before you call names. You could have just as easily corrected Gemeni's mistake, no need to be rude about it.

Back on topic, in concept yahoo answers is a great idea, just too many idiots with free time and uneducated opinions who just want to be heard and feel special.

EmmanuelJB
01-22-2010, 01:27 AM
I know you guys are probably getting sick of seeing the questions I am posting from YA! but heres another one:

Question:
"What is the best fish to put in a 5 gallon fish tank?
i have a full set up but no heater"

One of The Answers:
"Goldfish are cold water fish that means you don't need a heater you can get one of those if you don't want the plain old goldfish then you can get fancy goldfish they are more pretty."

The link to the question:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AgJWTwAzOqSesPmoodkJh8ObDH1G;_ylv=3?qid =20100121170326AAvsVGe
:scry: :scry: I feel bad for the gold fish......

Little Embers
01-22-2010, 05:24 AM
If people want intelligent and knowledgeable answers regarding fish....they should join a proper fish forum and do more of their own research as well.

Tetris
01-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Yahoo answers has maybe 1 in 200 members with actual knowledge. The rest of them think they're smart enough to rationalize a correct answer in a topic they know nothing about. Occasionally you get someone who's been doing it wrong, but thinks it's right just because they're doing it.

I don't care what they say on Yahoo answers... Steak should NOT be left on a counter in the sun to thaw for 6 hours just because you don't want to wait for it to thaw when you get home from work. And meat that's been on the counter for 24 hours is NEVER ok to eat.

Seeing as how so many people on Yahoo Answers lack the life skills necessary to take care of themselves, I assume that they're mostly teenagers who just use Yahoo Answers to prove to themselves that they do in fact know everything about everything.

I think the best thing you can do for the yahoo community warn people that the site is full of ignorant members answering questions they know nothing about, and link them to a few good websites that prove this when compared to the answers people have supplied to their questions.

EmmanuelJB
01-31-2010, 02:28 AM
One of the stupidest answer I have seen yet!
Question:
"What should I do with by Betta ?
I don't want him anymore, How can
I get arid of him, But making sure he
has a safe and good home, Anyone
want a free betta ?"

Answer:
"I doubt anyone is going to buy a betta fish or even want it for free, so just put your fish in a lake or pond and let it free, thats what i did with my turtle."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AuIqU1f83dFUjh9KA_RE.kTsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid =20100130180807AAhdeoF&show=7#profile-info-0he9234aaa

People like that person ore why turtles are now illegal in Maine!!!