PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Striped Raphael catfish few?'s

stevezx2002
01-17-2010, 08:33 PM
My LFS has had one raphael cat that is about 4" for about a month and I have thought it was kinda cool since the first time I saw it. I have been doing some research and I think it would be a match for my tank, but I have a few questions.

I have read that they are mostly nocturnal, but some do venture out durring the day. What kind of moon light setup would be best for nite viewing? What color, and type of lighting would let me see it without being so brite that it would hide all the time?

How would I put him into/take him out of the tank without a net? I drip acclimatize my fish in a bucket and would need to transfer him to the tank without adding the water from the bucket. Do I dump out the water and then slid him into the tank or carefully pick him up maby with a glove? I have read that you should use a glass or cup to remove them from the tank.

Would a Raphael be OK with my other fish in my 75 gal? I have 2 blood parrots, a blue acara, and 4 severums (will be 2 after they pair up). If not, is there any bottom dwellers that would be better?

Any other tips and advise about care, feeding, or your personal experiences are greatly appriciated as I would like to know as much as I can before I purchase a fish that can live ~25 years.

rich311k
01-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Good for you for doing your research. Most people I know that have them never see them. They also love them.

If you pour 90% of the water out before sliding him in your tank you should be fine. Especially since after acclimating most of the water will be yours.

smaug
01-17-2010, 08:57 PM
The raph would be a great choice for your tank.They are trick to catch though but I was recommended a rubber type net to catch cats without snagging them.A raph will be fine with your existing fish as they will seldom if ever have to deal with him.Even when they would see him a raph is extremely well armored.They need very good hiding spots and the more he has the more you will see him [believe it or not],bet even then they only are active at night.My light fixture has a built in moonlight [current satellite].Forget about seeing him during the day no matter what type light you have.Mine loves catfish disc's by hikari and is the only thing he will eat.He has never eaten any of the small fish and shows no other living critter in my tank the slightest interest.All in all a raph is one of those fish you will quickly forget you have until you see him dancing through the tank in the middle of the night.Mine seems to do just that,it looks like a dance.

stevezx2002
01-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the fast replys, I am feeling a lot more confident this will work. I have several terra cotta pots in the tank with a few cut in half longways to act as lower caves, would this work as sutible hideouts? Also what type of moonlight do you recomend? I just have the single tube light fixture that came with the tank. I had thought about a small led light setup for night or possibly a cold cathode lite.

stevezx2002
01-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Did I post this in the right section, are raph's considered preditory? When I feed should I just drop in a few disks after I shut the lights out for the night? My other fish are kinda competitive for food and I am afraid they would get to it first and he would starve.

rich311k
01-17-2010, 09:53 PM
They are not really predatory. Feed a few pellets at night fall and he will get enough. They are very good at finding food. I have moonlights built into my fixtures. If you search for DIY moonlights you will find a lot of good ideas on how to do it.

smaug
01-17-2010, 11:13 PM
A raph will know the second suitable food hits the water.

Rue
01-17-2010, 11:35 PM
...they're gorgeous...:1luvu:

I never saw mine though...just the tip of a tail...

Same as my bumblebee catfish...never see him either...

stevezx2002
01-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Right now it is the sole occupant of a 20Long at the LFS and I dont think it had any decorations. He just sits in the corner of the tank so he is easy to see and he is great looking with strong stripes and alot of contrast. I kinda feel bad for him now that I know they like to be hidden durring the day.

HomaridNoob6
01-18-2010, 01:15 AM
I have one in one of my 55's I see it very rarely, but it is very cool when I do see it. As Smaug said it seems to dance around the tank sometimes at night, I don't have moonlights on the tank he is in, but the LED's from another tank and light from my TV and computer monitor are enough to catch periodic glimpses of him. Sounds to me it would go fine in your tank, really the only threat to them is large aggressive fish as not only are they well armored, but I believe they are one of the types of catfish that can produce small electrical charges capable of deterring many predators. I have heard different stories on this, that the clicking noise they can make is and electrical charge and that it is just something they do with their pectoral fins, and a combination of both. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, love to know what the actual truth is, hehe.

Minedweller
01-18-2010, 01:53 AM
I have had one in my tank for 7 years now and have only seen him maybe 3 times but thats what makes it special once you see him you cant believe you caught him out and its a great sight.. I love mine and think you would enjoy him.

And for placing him in a tank without using a net I use a large plastic cup and scoop him in it

stevezx2002
01-18-2010, 10:58 PM
I just got off the phone with the wife since the LFS is about 30 min away and she works just a few blocks from it. She didn't like the looks of the striped raph, but they had a spotted raph that I hadn't seen. She liked the spotted better, it was cheaper and happened to be in a tank with some blood parrots she liked so she ended up getting the spotted and a blood parrot. I had told her about there spines and not to let them use a net, but the guy didn't listen "I know what I am doing" he said. Well he had to cut the net off and he got pinched. Then the raphael poked holes in the bag he was put in, so he got dubble bagged. I will post some pics after he is in the tank.

smaug
01-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Spotteds are really not much different then striped but do tend to get more rotund and a bit bigger overall.I kept one for awhile but he got to big for my tank so I rehomed him.

stevezx2002
01-18-2010, 11:50 PM
They had just got the BP in today and it is the ugliest BP I have ever seen. If I had been with her there is no way it would have came home with us, there are missing scales, only half a tail and black blotches all over it. The Raphael looks ok though.
A shot while they were being climatized:
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/stevezx2002/fish/DSC07491.jpg

smaug
01-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Thats some pretty bad stress being shown in the bp.Keep an eye on him and keep the water clean.Nice raph.

stevezx2002
01-19-2010, 12:22 AM
A few new pics with them in the tank, my oter BP's arnt really liking the new guy. I am going to try to talk the wife into returing it.

Raphael settled in:
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/stevezx2002/fish/DSC07498.jpg

The blood parrot:
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/stevezx2002/fish/DSC07499.jpg
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/stevezx2002/fish/DSC07500.jpg

smaug
01-19-2010, 12:31 AM
The raph will want better hiding spots then that.They dont feel safe at all if they can see you.It seems kind of a waste but they gotta be able to be completly hidden.

stevezx2002
01-19-2010, 12:40 AM
maby if I put 2 of the half pots together front to tront so there is just one small entrance on one end? Maby I can find some hollow drift wood.

Lindsey
01-19-2010, 07:40 AM
I'd pass if I were you, I have 2 rafaels and I never see them except when I disturb them cleaning the tank. They're always crammed as far up inside their sunken ship as they can possibly get.

They're beautiful fish but you're better suited getting something you can watch and enjoy.

edit: Sorry, I see you bought them now.. Good luck, and yeah smaug's right, you'll need something that they can hide themselves entirely. Driftwood may work, but it would need to have a huge hole in the bottom that you can't see them out of. I use a hollow sunken ship for mine to hide in.

Crispy
01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Mine hides in a fake log and I havn't seen him in 6 months. When I used to see him, he would eat the algae wafers I put in for the plecos. I'm pretty sure he is still around, I got him 4 years ago when my fronts were babies and maybe have seen him a dozen times.

smaug
01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
I'd pass if I were you, I have 2 rafaels and I never see them except when I disturb them cleaning the tank. They're always crammed as far up inside their sunken ship as they can possibly get.

They're beautiful fish but you're better suited getting something you can watch and enjoy.

edit: Sorry, I see you bought them now.. Good luck, and yeah smaug's right, you'll need something that they can hide themselves entirely. Driftwood may work, but it would need to have a huge hole in the bottom that you can't see them out of. I use a hollow sunken ship for mine to hide in.
They are worth having simply for the few times you do get to see them.

stevezx2002
01-19-2010, 01:28 PM
The lights have been on for an hour thismorning. I didn't see him when I turned the lights on, but I just walked passed the tank and had to do a dubble take because he was swimming across the front glass. Maby I got one that likes to be out during the day?

smaug
01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
The lights have been on for an hour thismorning. I didn't see him when I turned the lights on, but I just walked passed the tank and had to do a dubble take because he was swimming across the front glass. Maby I got one that likes to be out during the day?
He is likely just a bit befuddled and searching for the spot that he likes best.Could be hungry too.

stevezx2002
01-20-2010, 12:31 AM
He moved around several times today and swam around in the open a few times, but hid most of the day. I threw together a makeshift moon light today using some white LED christmas lights, it is a little too bright but close. It looks awesome, so I will definitly be looking into a permanant setup.

It isnt quite as bright in person as it is in the pictures, I dont think I will leave it on all night, just while I am awake.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/stevezx2002/fish/DSC07524.jpg

stevezx2002
01-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Here is a shot of how I made the lighting setup, it took about 20min using a string of 50 white LED christmas lights. I think it would have looked better with about 25 blue LED's instead. I used a furring strip and drilled holes at different angles in it just large enough for the led to fit into.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/stevezx2002/fish/DSC07530.jpg

stevezx2002
01-21-2010, 09:33 PM
I am noticing alot of teeth marks all over my drift wood, is it comon for Raph's to chew on drift wood or is this a sign it is hungry?
I have been putting in extra of the NLS sinking cichlid pelets I feed the rest of the fish in the tank after I turn out the lights. Is this enough or should I get some sinking catfish wafers instead?

smaug
01-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Ive never seen one chew wood before.What other type fish do you have?To be honest catfish being the slow moving low energy fish they are they dont burn many calories.I feed my raph only every 3rd night.They tend to get fat if fed everynight unless they are only getting something very small.Your raph would be better off with the catfish wafers then the cichlid pellets although there probably isnt a big difference in composition.

stevezx2002
01-21-2010, 11:26 PM
It is in with a couple blood parrots, a blue acara, and severums. I have never seen any of the fish chew on the drift wood, but i never noticed the teeth marks till after the Raph went in the tank.

Which would be better as far as food?
Hikari Sinking Wafers "daily diet for corydoras catfish, loaches and other bottom feeders."
Hikari Sinking Carnivore "a protein-rich diet for large carnivorous fish"
Hikari Massivore Delite "the ideal choice for feeding carnivorous fish"

I am thinking the regular sinking wafers will be better because they are a little cheaper and I can get them localy instead of online although I am placing a order from Dr'sF&S soon.

smaug
01-21-2010, 11:29 PM
The first 2 would be good choices.The massivore stuff isnt really needed for a raph.My raph wont eat the carnivore pellet but yours may,they are actually a better size for a raph then the discs.

stevezx2002
01-30-2010, 01:09 PM
I have been feeding 3 or 4 sinking wafers every other night, and have seen him out several times after the lights are out. I havent seen him eat a wafer but they are always gone in the morning, the severums play with the wafers as they are sinking but I think they are too hard for them to eat.
I got a few pictures of him last night.
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/stevezx2002/fish/DSC07577.jpg

smaug
01-30-2010, 07:16 PM
He looks a bit bedraggled,or is it just a fuzzy pic?

stevezx2002
01-30-2010, 10:31 PM
He looks about the same as when I put him in the tank, i havent really seen any others to judge if he looks ok or not. I havent seen any of the other fish mess with him any.

smaug
01-30-2010, 10:44 PM
He doesnt look as sharp and clean looking as most I have seen.Im sure he will turn around with good care.

stevezx2002
01-30-2010, 11:05 PM
I looked at some shots online and they look a little fatter than mine so I am going to feed a little extra for a while and see if that helps. The picture might not look as good becase it was in the middle of the night with no lights on so the camera might not have focused right, just the flash. I guess the same person who had dropped off the blood parrot at the LFS had also droped off the raph at the same time, so he probibly didn't have very good care before. It also looks like they had some really agressive fish in the tank with these two.
Here are a few pitures of the progress I have made with the BP in the last 11 days.
Day 1 (1-18-10)
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/stevezx2002/fish/DSC07500.jpg
Day 10 (1-28-10)
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/stevezx2002/fish/DSC07572.jpg
Much of the tail has regrown, almost all of the scales have filled in, and the black has really begun to fade, its even better now than in the pics.

stevezx2002
01-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Here is a pic from today

onaemtnest
02-14-2010, 07:23 PM
We have a Rafael catfish that is about 4" long he's lived in this tank for about 1 year. Just wondering if they can become predatory? We added some zebra's and have lost three over three nights, since the Rafael comes out at night was wondering if he is the culprit? We just can't figure any of the other fish in the tank that are big enough to eat the zebras. We see the catfish every morning out and about before lights come on and startles him back into seclusion.