PDA

View Full Version : two large oscars breeding, plz help

sebbb123
01-17-2010, 06:04 AM
i currently have two large oscars in a very big pond that are a breeding couple and have already layed one batch of eggs in the shallow part of the pond but the eggs where eatin by smaller guppie fish,the smaller fish are way too hard to catch out, and the oscars only started breeding once i moved them from a large tank and into the pond :s, any suggestions?

Oscar_freak12321
01-17-2010, 06:05 AM
Hmmm...well, if you can't fish out the little guppies then there's not much you CAN do. Just let nature run it's course or attempt to breed them indoors. :22:

Northernguy
01-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
Why don't you put them back in the tank?
They will thin out the guppy population fast enough that it should be good for the next spawn.
You could also net the eggs and move them to a tank.Be careful not to knock them around to much.They are best not disturbed.Place some slate in there so you can just move the slate to another tank.

sebbb123
01-17-2010, 06:16 AM
thankyou for your suggestions :) they dont seem to eat the guppies for some reason, and how would i go about netting the eggs? thinking of lining the shallow part where they lay eggs with mesh or something so i can just pick them up straight out of the pond

William
01-17-2010, 06:17 AM
Just wait. The first few spawnings of oscars are usually unsuccessful. Once they get better at it the guppies will not be a problem as the parents will keep them away.

Northernguy
01-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Having a pond full of oscars will certainly be interesting!lol
It must be nice to be where you can have a pond that doesn't have 3ft of ice on it this time of year!thumbs2:

sebbb123
01-17-2010, 06:27 AM
kool thankyou, il be patient. yeah would be quite interesting lool its raining and humid at this time of the year here