PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to cycle a goldfish aquraium?

james20
01-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Wouldn't they just cycle it themselves? They sometimes are used for that purpose. I have a spare 10 gallon and am thinking about one fancy goldfish. I have had past experience with these fish, just no in a "professional" way(4 gf crammed into 10 gallons, will never make that mistake again) so do they need a cycled tank prior to putting one in. ThaNKS.

Oscar_freak12321
01-16-2010, 02:49 AM
A) Any ONE goldfish should not be put in a 10 gallon. B) Common goldfish ARE known to be used as cycling fish, but if you are actually looking to keeping a goldfish I would not start with a 10 gallon. I would start on a 30 at least for just ONE goldfish. Goldfish are huge waste producers and I wouldn't recommend anything smaller.

james20
01-16-2010, 02:52 AM
A) Any ONE goldfish should not be put in a 10 gallon. B) Common goldfish ARE known to be used as cycling fish, but if you are actually looking to keeping a goldfish I would not start with a 10 gallon. I would start on a 30 at least for just ONE goldfish. Goldfish are huge waste producers and I wouldn't recommend anything smaller.

Even if I upgrade later?

rich311k
01-16-2010, 02:53 AM
Yes a goldfish tank needs cycled. A ten gallon is not going to be large enough. You could keep a fancy in a 29 gallon.

Oscar_freak12321
01-16-2010, 02:54 AM
If you upgrade later, that would be great. However, I would never even put a little goldy as a fry in a 10 gallon. Just too much waste.

EmmanuelJB
01-16-2010, 02:56 AM
Yes you need to cycle a gold fish aquarium!!! A ten gallon is to small for a goldfish. If the gold fish is young and you upgraded to at least a 25 gallon later it would be ok. But why not just get the bigger aquarium right now??

Oscar_freak12321
01-16-2010, 03:01 AM
^^ When he says later, he basically means almost immediately. I would upgrade now and save you a bunch of money if you are really set in the direction of keeping goldfish. :22:

VoidParadigm
01-16-2010, 06:16 AM
Fancy goldfish shouldn't be used to cycle tanks, as their internal organs are disfigured, meaning they can be extremely fragile to ammonia build-up.

Yeah, sure, common goldfish are used to cycle tanks, but that doesn't nessicarily mean it's good practice. How would you feel if someone put you in a room and said "Alright, you're going to feel some burning for about a month, and if you survive that I'll give you a great home." Every fish needs a cycled tank.

The ideal tank for a goldfish is three gallons per inch of fish. Most fancy varieties reach an average of 8'', with that sometimes going much higher due to breeding. That's at least 24 gallons for a fancy to reach it's full potential.

As Oscar said, it's best to just buy that big tank now.

A fully grown fancy in an enviroment it's grown up in most of it's life is both much more beautiful, and friendly. The older a goldfish gets, the more trusting of it's owner it becomes. My biggest male at the moment tries to swim into my hand whenever I put it in the pond, for example.

xximanoobxx
01-16-2010, 07:15 AM
Of course, goldfish are fish as well. 10 gallon is too small

james20
01-17-2010, 04:05 PM
OK, i will. I can't get a bigger tank now, but I will try later.

Rue
01-17-2010, 04:15 PM
OK, i will. I can't get a bigger tank now, but I will try later.

Excellent. Fancy goldfish are my favourites...I've had them for years...they're smart and very personable - like the puppy-dog of fish...they deserve a good start, vs. being treated as 'lesser' fish somehow...

Your 10g would be great with plants and a betta though -also very personable when housed properly...

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Check the red stickie in the goldfish thread (where this is being moved to) and read the sizes goldfish get.

All fish tanks need to be cycled. Fish expel ammonia thru their food, their gills and their waste.