PDA

View Full Version : Help! Leather and star polyp problem!

kmw0004
01-16-2010, 02:34 AM
I noticed today that my star polyp frag didn't come out all the way today, and my leather coral frag has a slicked over look to it. The leather has a few tiny polyps out, but not as many as usual. I just added a sun coral and a pumping xenia yesterday and I had to rearrange everything. The leather and the star polyps are both at the top of the tank. I have a Bakpak protein skimmer and one power head, 30 gal tank as well. I have a coralife light with one 10k 65 w and a blue actinic 65 w. My nitrate is at 0 and the ph was at about 8.2. I used some buffer and it has picked back up. I also have a skilter on the tank, but it doesn't really do much. perhaps I should take it off. I'm going to go and get water tomorrow for a water change. Shold I pick up a strontium test and check that? I noticed the calcium was a little low, so I have been adding a calcium supplement daily, this also has iodine in it. Is there anything else that I could possibly do? The frags have been in the tank about a month.

UnknownFish
01-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Maybe there in too much flow, try to move them into an area with less flow, or maybe they are too close or to far from the light, move them around a bit and see what happens.

labnjab
01-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Leathers can be funny. They are know to close for a few weeks at a time. It may be shedding too. We bought a very large leather 2 weeks ago and it took all this time before it would fully open. Now its open almost all the time

kmw0004
01-24-2010, 05:22 PM
I moved some powerheads around, and the star polyps are doing better than ever... is it possible that they were just about to spread, and that is why they weren't out for a couple days? Also, the leather was shedding. It seems to have gotten bigger as well since then. Its about twice the size it was when I bought it. I hope it doesn't continue to grow like this, I have only had it for a couple, maybe three, weeks.

Now the xenias are just kinda puny... have been for a couple days. I turned off one powerhead, and now they are starting to pump again. I did see 2 small clove polyps that are doing really well, though. They popped up on the rock of xenias, exciting! I think I will do another water change and see where that gets me. The sun coral I got is doing better... I think it was being starved at the LFS. It is starting to look a bit more plump, but I still haven't seen all the polyps come out completely.

UnknownFish
01-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Sun corals like dark areas in the tank, I hid mine under a ledge and they open up whenever I feed the fish, before I hid them they would only open after the lights went out, they also should be target fed with mysis shrimp or something like that.