PDA

View Full Version : My Pleco Is Getting Attacked

Devries_Aquarium
01-16-2010, 02:13 AM
I just put a small pleco in my tank and my african cichlids are bitting at its tail WHAT UP WITH THAT.

Thanks Jonathan:scry:

Northernguy
01-16-2010, 02:15 AM
Your gonna need a tough pleco to stay in that tank.
What kind of pleco did you get?
It won't be able to hide in an African tank. Have you another tank?

EmmanuelJB
01-16-2010, 02:32 AM
I would try to move the pleco into a different aquarium if possible. If you don't have another aquarium maybe seperate them some how. I don't recomend putting plecos in african cichlid tanks for a few reasons.
1. African cichlids really should be in a species only tank.
2. Generally plecos prefer a lower PH than African Cichlids. (Although most fish can adapt to different PH.)
If your aquarium is big enough the best type of pleco to get would be a full grown (or almost full grown) common pleco.

Oscar_freak12321
01-16-2010, 02:53 AM
What size tank is this? If you have a big enough tank, you could get a CAE. No extra finnage, way too fast for the cichlids, and, of course, the famed CAE aggression could definitely keep the cichlids from messing with him.

Devries_Aquarium
01-16-2010, 02:57 AM
It is a leopard pleco. I just bought it at my LFS and told them it is going in a african cichlid aquarium, it is what they recommended. They seem to be leaving him alone now. What would you recommend I put in my tank for a bottom feeder? My tank is 80 gallons.

Oscar_freak12321
01-16-2010, 03:00 AM
They probably should've recommended a CAE. They can get pretty big, but they will still keep the aggression focused away from him. He would fit in very well in an African tank. They are very flexible towards water params as well. :22: I would try to return or rehome the pleco.

Devries_Aquarium
01-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Is a CAE a chinese algae eater? I can probably return my pleco tomorrow and replace him with somethng that will be more suitable.

Oscar_freak12321
01-16-2010, 03:21 AM
Yes, a CAE is a Chinese Algae Eater. :22:

Devries_Aquarium
01-16-2010, 03:41 AM
Thank for your help, I will try and return the little guy tomorrow and see if i can get a cae instead. thumbs2: