PDA

View Full Version : Betta food

Bellie816
01-15-2010, 04:31 AM
Okay well I just got a new male betta... and he is in with my 3 platies in my 10 gallon. He seems to be doing great so far.... getting much more active and swimming around more. I bought the Wardley betta food for him... the little pellets. Well he seemed to only eat one or two... and then he kind of spit half of one out a few minutes later. It seems like he grabs the pellet in his mouth, spits it out, grabs it again... and so on. Are these pellets too big for him? I put in the regular tropical flakes for my platies and he didn't bother with them...went right for the betta pellets.

Is this normal behavior? I want to make sure he is getting enough food because those platies are little piggies! :) Any suggestions on brands/types of food and if this is normal eating behavior is greatly appreciated.

Do they normally only eat 1 or 2 pellets a day?

Thanks! :ssmile:

Northernguy
01-15-2010, 04:34 AM
They don't have to eat a lot!Mine gets 2 small feedings per day.Enough for him to eat in two minutes.
I feed mine Nutrifin Max tropical fish flakes.
NLS makes a really good flake food.
Try different foods if you know anyone with fish.

Bellie816
01-15-2010, 04:55 AM
So they will eat flake food?

For some reason I was under the impression that they need to eat the pellets to thrive...

Well here's some pics of him! He's beautiful... his name is Rambo! He's kind of like a dark blue that fades into a grayish blue.. and red streamer fins (don't know the technical term, lol) :hmm3grin2orange:

http://i45.tinypic.com/308xp8j.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/51sdgh.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/312hdmw.jpg

xximanoobxx
01-15-2010, 06:18 AM
Feed them live foods. They color up a lot nicer. Had bad experiences with NLS

korith
01-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Bettas and other fish will sometimes spit out pellet food and then take it back in. My cichlids do this too. If you presoak the pellets before adding to the tank they won't do that, but that's more work than most of us care to do.

Oh one thing I remember from when I had my betta, no matter how much food you put in, those things will just eat, eat, and eat. I had a betta in a 20g long with a ton of ghost shrimp. Anytime I put in an algae wafer, the betta would make a run for it and just start chomping on it. Reminded of a kid that would stuff a bunch of crackers in his mouth and then have it go all over the place.

annageckos
01-15-2010, 04:33 PM
My bettas eat a variety of foods. Pellet, flake, wafers, live and frozen. Some bettas are picky, some will eat everything. It is a matter of trial and error with some. All my fish will take in food and spit it back out. I think they are either taking a bite off and/or softening it up.

Northernguy
01-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Thats a great looking fish!
xximanoobxx there is nothing wrong with NLS foods.
What bad experience did you have? I have heard of some fish not liking it but only once.
I have never heard of a bad experience with it though.