PDA

View Full Version : Complications Molting

VoidParadigm
01-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Lost my smallest Wood/Bamboo shrimp while she was molting. I'm leaving her body in a spare tank for a few hours, or until I get back from class later. Y'know, just in case. She twitched four or five times when I thought she was actually dead, so, figure it's better to be on the safe side and leave her there for a while before burial.

octoxpuss
01-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah i had some whisker shrimp and it was getting ready to molt and it started but then it took forever and i saw it still laying on the ground milky white so i knew it had died. Sorry for the loss.

annageckos
01-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Sorry about your shrimp. Sometimes they just can't molt right and die. It could also be a lack of iodine. Inverts need iodine and calcium to molt, without it they will die. I know they do sell test kits to test for it. But I am not sure how much iodine they need or if it is even a common problem in freshwater.

VoidParadigm
01-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Yeah, aware that I need to up the calcium in the tank already. Oh well. I got three because I expected one to die anyways, so, it's not actually a total loss, just the slightest bit of emotional pull that comes with letting anything down you've promised to take care of.

I've gotten sad by plants dying before. =\ lol

annageckos
01-14-2010, 11:30 PM
I know how you feel. I actually didn't have much luck with inverts untill I started adding calcuim to my tank. I know that people will use calcuim pills meant for people for mystery snails.