PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of New Critters

tori.lock
01-14-2010, 08:21 AM
It's been a while since I've updated the site on Moose, and all is well. He's been building some pretty incredible bubble nests, and flaring at just about anything that wanders too close to his tank. While his plants have been flourishing (now that the anubias are gone, there were just too many plants and not enough nutrients for them) but they keep getting diatoms and algae on them. I've been looking into snails and/or shrimp to help with that and was looking for some suggestions.

Currently I'm thinking about getting 1 nerite snail, and a handful of ghost shrimp. While doing some looking around online I discovered freshwater clams, and was wondering if a few of those would have any benefit or harm on water quality.

Northernguy
01-14-2010, 02:58 PM
The snail and shrimp will work but I don't think it will clean the tank of all the algae.The clam won't do much.

octoxpuss
01-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah the clams will not do too much. U know what would be cool to set up a tank just for FW clams. U do not even need a filter for the clams just an powerhead so the food doesnt get filtered away. There are alot more things tho.

tori.lock
01-15-2010, 01:57 AM
I'm not worried about them cleaning /all/ the algae, just enough to help out a bit, especially on the plants. The algae and diatoms on the glass and roots don't bother me and are easy enough to rid of, I'm just worried I'm stressing my plants by constantly uprooting them on accident while I clean their leaves. I was thinking a snail or two might help with the glass and the shrimp would help me take care of the leaves. Good to know the clams wouldn't do anything, I've heard from some brief research online that they drastically helped to clear the water. I'm still contemplating getting a few to possibly help oxygenate the sand and just because they seem like a fun little addition.

HeatherB
01-16-2010, 06:18 PM
I have a golden apple snail in my tanks. They do well with Bettas, even really picky ones, because they just snap up in thier shells. My snail does a great job of cleaning the leaves off of algae and likes to clean up leftover food as well. They don't do as hot on the glass, as say, a pleco, but that's what I got a mag-float for!

I once had a 10 gal. divided tank and it was loaded with algae because I was getting too much natural sunlight. I but four snails in, two in each side, and that tank was SPOTLESS 24 hours later. If you do go for snail though, once the algae is gone, you may have to supplement them with an algae wafer and they also need a source of calcium for their shells to remain in good health.

annageckos
01-16-2010, 06:28 PM
If the tank you have the betta in is only 3 gallons I would only add some ghost shirmp. The betta may eat some of the ghost shrimp if they are smaller. I wouldn't add cherry or amano shrimp, they are smaller and will get eaten. Your tank is too small for a clam and they are not the easiest thing to keep alive. They are filter feeders and need more water volume for feeding. Your tank wouldn't hold enough food. If it dies in the 3 gallon it will likely cause a ammoina spike before you know it is dead. The tank is also too small for mystery/apple snails. I would say maybe a ramshorn or mini nertite snail would work though.

tori.lock
01-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I wasn't going to get a big snail. I hear apples get huge, and mystery snails can get pretty big. A lot of people have suggested nerite snail now, so I think I'll try and find one. It seems like online you can only buy them in bulk, unless you can find an odd one or two on aquabid. I'll start looking once I'm back at school.