PDA

View Full Version : I need a predatory fish to eat my fry!!!

antitruster50
01-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi everyone I am looking for a small predatory fish small enough to eat my Swordtail fry but not big enough to eat my Neons. I have been looking online and the closest thing I could find is the Belonesox gar but I think it can grow quite to about 6-8 in and will eat my Neons. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

annageckos
01-13-2010, 03:14 PM
What size tank do you have and what is in it? If your tank is too small or fully stocked you are going to have to cull the unwanted fish yourself, or see if a LFS will take them.

antitruster50
01-13-2010, 03:21 PM
What size tank do you have and what is in it? If your tank is too small or fully stocked you are going to have to cull the unwanted fish yourself, or see if a LFS will take them.
I have a 55 Gallon (20 gallon sump) planted tank. I have a Synodontis, 6 Serpae, 5 Neons, 1 SAE, 1 Angelfish (2") and swordtails.

annageckos
01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
The fish you have now will eat the fry. Between the angle and the serpae tetras not many will get away. But if the tank is heavily planted you will always have some survive. You can also try a gourami too.

rich311k
01-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Angelfish live for livebearer fry. You wont have over population problems.

Rue
01-13-2010, 03:43 PM
A perfect opportunity to get a female betta or two!thumbs2:

I've had them in my community tank...as long as you have plants, they're a great addition - and will keep your fry in check...

Northernguy
01-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:

I'm surprised you are having fry issues with that stocking.How many fry are in there now?
Your angel will definately eat some but if they are hiding good the angel will be useless.When the angel gets bigger most small torpedo shaped fish like the neons and fry will be in danger of being eaten.
Female bettas are wicked hunters and will eat many fry.

bluebluecow
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
LOL, my female must be lazy or too wary of my male, who protects the guppy and platy fry LOL

antitruster50
01-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Not many fry are left really, my tank is heavily planted so that might be the reason but I'm taking into account that if 2 or 3 fry survive from each hatch every month or other then I will have 30 fish at the end of the year. I have seen the Angelfish try and hunt the fry but have not actually seen him get any. The Serpae, on the other hand I have seen take down a few at night when I turn off the light and leave the moonlight on, I have also seen them eating my medium-sized cherry shrimp :(. I think I might get a female betta and try my luck with her, I used to have 1 but she passed away. bluebluecow, I guess a good method is not giving them food for a day or two and they will be so hungry that will start actually hunting. Thank you all for your answers and time.

VoidParadigm
01-13-2010, 05:29 PM
You're fine with the current stocking. And, as a word of warning, once that angel grows, those Neons are going to be looking pretty tasty.