PDA

View Full Version : The new guy

Bristley
01-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Hello everyone,

My names Jason. I live in Orlando Florida. I had a small aquarium when I was about 12 years old that had some guppies, mollies and tinfoil barbs in it. Being a young kid, inexperienced, and not receiving a lot of help from my parents, the tank didn't last long and I got out of the aquarium hobby. That was many years ago and I used to miss it, but not anymore because I'm finally back into it.

About a month ago, my kids won 2 goldfish at a carnival (yes it is possible to actually win things at carnivals). I went ahead and bought them a Nemo themed 2.5gal tank and set it up for them. I had forgotton how enjoyable it was to watch fish swimming around and interacting with one another. I started to get a little itch from that. Two weeks ago my friend ended up scratching that itch for me.

My friend had an old 37gal Eclipse tank that had been sitting in the back of his closet for a year. Apparently he had tried to use it for a saltwater aquarium at one point, and it turned out to be way to much work for him. Well, he's in the process of moving and he offered me the tank. I gladly accepted. I cleaned it up, started reading a lot about setting up an aquarium, and now I have a bunch of new members to my family.

Like I said, its a 37gal aquarium. Its a freshwater community that consists of 1 dwarf gourami, 3 red minor tetras, 3 gold tetras, 3 neon tetras and 1 red-tail shark. I have a bunch of artificial plants and some artificial rocks, and a couple live plants (cabombas). So far everyone seems extremely happy and is adjusting well to their new home. I eventually want to add a Bristlenosed Pleco. I have been reading about them and they seem like having one might be a good fit for my aquarium. Plus I love the way they look.

Anyway, I hope to learn more about this very enjoyable hobby, and maybe someday I will add more tanks and try my hand at breeding.

Later

LadyHatred
01-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the AC!

rich311k
01-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Welcome to AC!

R2 Ranch
01-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Welcome!!! Glad you joined usthumbs2:

Spartanhockey89
01-13-2010, 03:09 PM
hi there. This is by far, the best place for solid advice and help.

annageckos
01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Welcome to AC. You will learn alot from the great people here. I see some problems with your two tanks. Tetras are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least six. The red tail shark wil need a bigger tank and they can get aggressive. Your goldfish will need a much bigger tank, they get a foot long. A 75 gallon is the smallest I would put them in, a pond would be better. These are all begginer mistakes and easily fixed, we all have make them and some worst. Good luck.

Bristley
01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome that I've received thus far.

'annageckos' thanks for the advice. I'm sure I will have to make some changes. Like you said, beginner mistakes that can be easily fixed, so I'll have to make a few adjustments and hopefully things will work out.

Thanks,

Jason.

Crispy
01-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Welcome to the forum! :22:

gadget228
01-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

funky_fish
01-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Welcome aboard. I just joined a few days ago, and have found the site invaluable.