PDA

View Full Version : possible predator?

2xtheman
01-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Does anyone know if an upside down catfish would eat pygmy corys?

I'm pretty sure i feed him enough so that he wouldn't be tempted, but just wondering anyways.

Spartanhockey89
01-13-2010, 03:34 PM
how big is the cat?

toddnbecka
01-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Common upside-down catfish (Synodontis nigriventris) and glass cats are schooling fish, and prefer to be kept in groups. For the 21 gallon tank in your signature I'd recommend swapping off the Syno and the glass for the cory cats. Glass cats really should be kept in larger groups than most other social fish, and don't compete well for food with active tankmates.

Northernguy
01-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I haven't heard of an upside down cat attacking other fish or eating fry before.
They are great for community tanks.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/upside-downcatfish.php

2xtheman
01-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Common upside-down catfish (Synodontis nigriventris) and glass cats are schooling fish, and prefer to be kept in groups. For the 21 gallon tank in your signature I'd recommend swapping off the Syno and the glass for the cory cats. Glass cats really should be kept in larger groups than most other social fish, and don't compete well for food with active tankmates.

I have tried keeping a school of glass cats, twice, but they just don't seem to do well here. (maybe bought some weak strain?)
The one glass cat I do have, is actually very tenacious when it comes to feeding time, and rarely hides at all, so I don't think he is terribly unhappy without some bros+sis'.

To Spartanhockey:
The upsidedown cat is probably around 4 inches, maybe 4.5.

I have seen him eat daphnia that have come in plants before, and the pygmys aren't that much bigger. But if they don't even eat fry, I should be okay right?