PDA

View Full Version : Plakat

Rue
04-25-2007, 10:42 PM
...I jumped the gun a bit...

My beautiful CT, in the community tank, injured himself somehow early last week...almost looked like he punctured his gut...no one was picking on him...nothing sharp in the tank...no idea what happened...fins are still beautiful...he was hiding on the bottom of the tank under plant leaves and other secure places...

...expecting him to die...I bought an unusual betta on Monday...didn't know what it was...looked it up (harder than one would think) and it turns out it's a plakat...and I'm fairly certain it's a red and white Cambodian...

...my CT however, is still alive...and the injury seems to be healing...

...if it heals..he stays in the tank...he gets first dibs...

Now what I do with Mr. Plakat? Still have the goldies holding in the 10g...55g still cycling...

LOL...I NEVER jump the gun...do it once and look what happens!

Drumachine09
04-26-2007, 12:12 AM
...I jumped the gun a bit...

My beautiful CT, in the community tank, injured himself somehow early last week...almost looked like he punctured his gut...no one was picking on him...nothing sharp in the tank...no idea what happened...fins are still beautiful...he was hiding on the bottom of the tank under plant leaves and other secure places...

...expecting him to die...I bought an unusual betta on Monday...didn't know what it was...looked it up (harder than one would think) and it turns out it's a plakat...and I'm fairly certain it's a red and white Cambodian...

...my CT however, is still alive...and the injury seems to be healing...

...if it heals..he stays in the tank...he gets first dibs...

Now what I do with Mr. Plakat? Still have the goldies holding in the 10g...55g still cycling...

LOL...I NEVER jump the gun...do it once and look what happens!

Ship hime out to me! I need a betta for my 10g. Ive never heard of a plakat before either. Ill google it!

EDIT!: I found this page that talks about FIGHITNG bettas for sport. Its disgusting.

http://www.plakatthai.com/

Rue
04-26-2007, 04:31 AM
...yeah I know :(...the plakats bred for fighting are actually called 'fighters'...

I hope that's NOT what the pet store sold me!

cocoa_pleco
04-26-2007, 04:32 AM
betta fightings a popular sport

I'd take that betta in a minute, ive got about 5 empty tanks and 2 canister filters he could plop in

Rue
04-26-2007, 04:39 AM
...it would be a long drive for you to come and get him! Well...we see how the Crowntail does...I still don't think he's going to make it...but at the same time I hope he proves me wrong...

...the 55g better hurry up and cycle...then I can put Mr. Plakat in the 10g...

Lady Hobbs
04-26-2007, 04:42 AM
Fish also become hunters at night. During the day they may be fine but others can be stinkers at night and stalk and look for prey. Because you don't catch them injuring others does not mean they are not.

Also, one of the many reasons betta's belong in their own tank. Many can not be with others ever.

Remove him and put him in a vase or large bowl until the other tank is finished.

cocoa_pleco
04-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Fish also become hunters at night.

Thats what ive noticed.

My clown knife, about 6 inches, comes out after i shut off the lights, usually 9 pm.

Tonight i FINALLY got to really watch him interact with the severum, and the severum is a little bit of a pushy fella. He goes to the knife and budges him, no violent behavior. Fish at night are a whole different story

Rue
06-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Mr. Plakat II is doing well from what I can tell (*knockonwood*)...not quite as personable as Mr. Plakat I, but he's coming along...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/Rue_album/PlakatIISnail0607.jpg

YaYgoldFish
06-27-2007, 03:00 AM
What's the purple thing on your snail? I've seen mine stretch its out but its black and only about 2 inches long?

cocoa_pleco
06-27-2007, 03:14 AM
i heard that thats its nose. really gross. my giant apple snail had a huge one

Drumachine09
06-27-2007, 03:22 AM
Since we were on the topic of fighting bettas a while ago, i reasearched fighting bettas.

They are actually REALLY beautiful. Its kind of sad that such a beautiful creature is bred to basically die.

http://www.fighterbetta.com/IMAGES/STOCK/kcm-6.jpg

cocoa_pleco
06-27-2007, 03:26 AM
bettas are beautiful. the one in my 3g is crazy. it has the nicest fins in the world. if the fish show was on, i would enter it in a second. it has the longest and spikiest fins in the world with beautiful black tips.

rue, VERY nice betta. beautiful coloring

Rue
06-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks...he's very pretty...I like the short fins on them...

My Crown-tail II has also been doing well...and I finally bought another female to replace the 3rd that had died several times (always only the 3rd!)...and she seems to be doing well too (knock on wood)...she's a white and red like Mr. Plakat I...