PDA

View Full Version : My fish died!

Sarai
04-25-2007, 10:41 PM
My oscar is sick and I have been medicating. I thought it would be dead when I got up today. Instead, my severn was dead ( no signs of illness ) and the oscar is still sick but hanging in there. I have had 5 fish in a 55 gallon aquarium. An irredescent shark that is about 12 inches, a small bala that is 6 inches, a pleco that is 8 inches, and a hugh oscar and I had a hugh severn.

Rue
04-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Sorry about your severum...

...you're quite overstocked...and that might be part of the issues to do with the severum...

...55g is the very min. recommended for one Oscar and NO tankmates...and this is in conjuction with at least double filtration...preferably one large HOB and one canister...and 2 water changes a week...

Coler
04-25-2007, 10:54 PM
that's awful :(

but yeouch thats a lot of fish in that 55. enough to cause stress from the overstocking, enough to cause serious water chemistry issues - what kind of maintenance and water changes are you doing ?

when you say you were medicating what were you treating and what meds were you using ?

do you ever find you have problems with ammonia/nitrite/nitrate ?

Lady Hobbs
04-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Did you cycle the tank before adding those fish?

gm72
04-26-2007, 12:39 AM
Just to second the opinion--you are FAR overstocked to dangerous levels. There is no filtration in the world that would help and there would be no way to keep that many large fish in a 55 happy. I have said this before and I will say it again--would you like to live permanently in a closet? I'm not trying to be cruel, but rather to point your attention to a very bad situation. Please consider trading in your large fish for fish that will be happier in your 55.

Coler
04-26-2007, 10:48 PM
ok so its overstocked with just the oscar and one other of those fish...but, re-reading the OP, I don't know that he/she is saying he/she currently/recently had all those fish in there...sarai, if you want some help post your stock and your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and what test kit you're using.

jeffs99dime
04-27-2007, 12:25 AM
ok so its overstocked with just the oscar and one other of those fish...but, re-reading the OP, I don't know that he/she is saying he/she currently/recently had all those fish in there...sarai, if you want some help post your stock and your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and what test kit you're using.

also your ph and temperature. how often do you conduct water changes. what filtration do you have. how often do you feed? what type(s) of food?

Lady Hobbs
04-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Sorry your fish died but for now, please do not add anymore fish. Watch your water (by testing) and be prepared to do water changes as needed. Ammonia and nitrates are very lethal to fish and only these water changes can keep it liveable for them during a cycle.

TehTANK
04-27-2007, 12:37 PM
I am sorry to hear about your oscar. I too lost 2 of them recently. It sucks. You should post some pictures in the Memories area of our photobucket that Hobbs keeps. My fishies are in there. :0) (Thanks again Hobbs I go there all the time)