PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what happened..

Fraulein D. Hatter
01-12-2010, 10:19 PM
After checking the Nitrite/Nitrates and the Ammonia levels, Everything had remained stable.

Sadly my Betta passed away and I'm not sure what happened.

The filter used had old media in it. I did water changes just in case. His food was regulated and yet wasn't doing well..

My betta, Chopin; had been lethargic, losing color day by day and stopped eating all together.

Before he passed away, he struggled to swim correctly, and could barely make it to the top for air.

He didn't have any signs of disease. I just want to know what went wrong. In the future if I ever get another Betta..I want to prevent this from happening again...

:scry:

glarior
01-12-2010, 10:38 PM
How big of a tank? Did you have any dramatic temperature changes? If everything was nominal it could be natural causes.

madmike730
01-12-2010, 10:38 PM
sorry for that, it might be old age. :(

Fraulein D. Hatter
01-12-2010, 10:43 PM
It was a five gallon. And it was just him.
The temperature remained the same throughout my having him since september.

geminidragn
01-12-2010, 11:39 PM
When you changed the water did you use de-chlorinator in the water?

I forgot to use it one time and my fish did exactly the same thing yours did before he died.

Sorry for your loss.

smaug
01-12-2010, 11:41 PM
What temp was that,do you remember?

VoidParadigm
01-13-2010, 12:04 AM
I've had the same problem with several labyrinth fish over the past few months.

There was a big outbreak of Iridovirus from a Gourami breeder, and ever since then the numbers of deaths from the fish affected have been soaring. It's not certain whether or not the Gourami iridovirus can be transmitted to other species, but as the Betta is also a labyrinth fish and closely related to the Gourami there is a possibility that the Iridovirus being transmitted between Gouramis lately could be extending to the Bettas commercially available.

Did you notice any discoloration in the body after he had died?

In any case, no matter what caused it, I am sorry to hear of your loss.

smaug
01-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Did ou have a heater in the tank?

Fraulein D. Hatter
01-13-2010, 12:31 AM
The temperature is kept at about 75-80 which was what I was told and have kept him constantly at that temperature.

I used De-chlorinated water, yes.

And Void: Yes, he was losing his color almost rapidly.

smaug
01-13-2010, 12:36 AM
The temp was good then.Sorry to bug ya.

VoidParadigm
01-13-2010, 12:38 AM
If his stomach looked round it might have been an iridovirus infection, if it was sunken in there's likely another cause.

In any case, many bettas are full-grown when you buy them, as they have the most finnage and color then, and thus are attractive enough for stores to want to sell. Unless you raise them yourself, I don't think you can easily tell at all how old a betta is when you buy it. As someone else voiced, there is the possibility that it was just old age.

Fraulein D. Hatter
01-13-2010, 01:10 AM
His stomach wasn't bloated, or sunken in. In fact..He looked mostly fine except for losing his color, and then the weird swimming. He settled down behind a plant and simply passed.

I figured the possibility of being old was there.

bluebluecow
01-13-2010, 06:24 AM
sorry for the loss. I think it was prob old age.

Liz