PDA

View Full Version : Better power filter

Incredulous_Ed
04-25-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm going to get a new power filter for my 20 high, heavily stocked withg plants and fish. What do you reccomend? I can't afford a cannister filter though. I was thinking about getting an aqua clear whisper rated for 60 gallons. What do you think? What the best power filter brand out there?

Fishguy2727
04-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Did you mean AquaClear or Whisper? They are two different filters. I would go with the AquaClear, but ditch the carbon and add more Biomax.

Incredulous_Ed
04-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Sorry about that, just a little confused. I was actually thinking about the whisper filters, but it seems the aquaclears are better. What size do you think I should get?

sergo
04-25-2007, 08:26 PM
i had an extra whisper 60 that i put on my 10gal. i keep it on like the second to third notch and man is that water clear. the tank is currently cycling, though.

Fishguy2727
04-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Either the 50 or the 70.

Incredulous_Ed
04-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Is there anything else I should keep in mind while buying it and setting it up?
thanks

Fishguy2727
04-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Not really. Get the media how you want it, add a little water so the pump has something to start on, then let it go. The best thing is that you can keep rinsing and reusing the foam, and the Biomax will never need to be replaced.

Chrona
04-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Too much flow (the 60g AC) imo. I had the mini on my 10g and the current was a little strong. And I just put some filter floss where the carbon went. The plants will more than compensate for that little amount of biomax.

I suppose you could get a large filter and turn the flow way down.....but the 60g model is overkill.

Fishguy2727
04-25-2007, 10:01 PM
They do not have a 60 (20,30,50,70,110). The 50 (or even the 30) would probably be enough, I forgot it was a planted tank.

We have a Whisper 60 on the 20 gallon discus tank at work.

gm72
04-25-2007, 10:20 PM
A 50 on a 20 gallon might very well be too much flow depending on what kind of fish are in there. Dannios would maybe love the flow. I personally would put 2 HOBs on it, either 2 20s or 2 30s. Aquaclears are definitely the best.

Incredulous_Ed
05-01-2007, 02:18 AM
Should I get the 30 or 50? I'm leaning toward the 50, because their is always stuff floating in the water, but what do you think? will the 30 be enough?

Drumachine09
05-01-2007, 02:19 AM
Should I get the 30 or 50? I'm leaning toward the 50, because their is always stuff floating in the water, but what do you think? will the 30 be enough?

Well, ill be getting an aquaclear 50 for my 22, if that gives you any idea.

gm72
05-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Definitely the 50. I am putting a second 70 on my 40 long. LOVE these filters!

Drumachine09
05-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Definitely the 50. I am putting a second 70 on my 40 long. LOVE these filters!

Why we are on the topic of aquaclears, everyone says they are the best on the market. What about penguins and emporers though?

gm72
05-01-2007, 10:39 PM
I hate biowheels. Great concept, but I constantly had them stop spinning, so I'd have to clean off the ends and re-install, adjust flow, repeat, repeat, repeat. Nooooooo thank you.

Fishguy2727
05-02-2007, 01:18 AM
Bio-Wheels are the best form of biological filtration and usually do not cause issues with them spinning. I do not like them because the cartridges are expensive and include the carbon. If they still made the Bio Pro Power 60 systems (or whatever they are called) those would be ideal on a tank with a canister. But at least for now Marineland has discontinued them. And I don't count the Magnums (which come in a Bio Pro version), very bad canister setup in my opinion.

gm72
05-03-2007, 10:57 PM
USUALLY do not cause issues with them spinning. I couldn't keep them going unless they were flying along. I'll pass. However, they are an excellent form of bio-filtration. Not sure about it being the best exactly, but excellent, yes. If you don't want carbon in the filter, just wrap the plastic frame in filter floss. That's what I used to do and had good results there.

Fishguy2727
05-04-2007, 12:27 AM
There are exceptions to every rule. My cousin had problems with his spinning like crazy, I just pointed the spray bar in a different spot and it was fine. Other than that I have not heard of anyone having issues with them. There may have been a manufacturing error in yours, or a missing part. From everything that I have read and seen they are the best form of biological filtration. Is there another form you have in mind that you think may be better?

Chrona
05-04-2007, 12:34 AM
There are exceptions to every rule. My cousin had problems with his spinning like crazy, I just pointed the spray bar in a different spot and it was fine. Other than that I have not heard of anyone having issues with them. There may have been a manufacturing error in yours, or a missing part. From everything that I have read and seen they are the best form of biological filtration. Is there another form you have in mind that you think may be better?

Only the emperor has the spray bar though, right? The penguins are powered by water coming out of the outlet and can get stuck pretty easily from what I've seen in a neighbors tank.

Sintered glass seems to work fine for a biomedia. I'm in love with my new aquaclear. I love the refiltration system and how you can put media in seperately like with my eheim.

Fishguy2727
05-04-2007, 02:07 AM
AquaClear is like a HOB Fluval. Same company, same media, high media capacity. I use Fluval and therefore use Biomax in all of them, so I am a fan of Biomax. But the Biowheels are still a better form of biological filtration for a number of reasons. One is that they do not catch debris. Because of their design, little debris makes it to the wheel, and what does get there is dumped within one rotation. The other has to do with oxygen. With 30,000 times as much oxygen in the air as in the water not only is this media not taking oxygen out of the water that the fish need, but it is getting much more and therefore running more efficiently. As long as the wheels are turning they are running fine. The only times I have seen them get stuck it is either that the holders for the wheels need to be cleaned or that the holders have been lost.

Chrona
05-04-2007, 02:15 AM
AquaClear is like a HOB Fluval. Same company, same media, high media capacity. I use Fluval and therefore use Biomax in all of them, so I am a fan of Biomax. But the Biowheels are still a better form of biological filtration for a number of reasons. One is that they do not catch debris. Because of their design, little debris makes it to the wheel, and what does get there is dumped within one rotation. The other has to do with oxygen. With 30,000 times as much oxygen in the air as in the water not only is this media not taking oxygen out of the water that the fish need, but it is getting much more and therefore running more efficiently. As long as the wheels are turning they are running fine. The only times I have seen them get stuck it is either that the holders for the wheels need to be cleaned or that the holders have been lost.

I wonder if you could get stainless steel bearings for the holders? Hmmmmmm

crackatinny
05-04-2007, 02:24 AM
I have a whisper 60 on a 26G tank, and it does a dreat job.

Incredulous_Ed
05-04-2007, 06:16 PM
I have a whisper 60 on a 26G tank, and it does a dreat job.

I have mixed feelings with the whisper. On my 5 gallon tank, I had a whisper rated for 5-15 gallons and it kept the water sparkely clean when I kept 2 goldfish in it. I never had to vacuum the gravel because there was no debris in it. But on 20 gallon with my whisper, the water is constantly dirty and there is stuff in the gravel all the time. :confused:

gm72
05-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Not as crazy about the whispers as the ACs. I think the BEST form of filtration may very well be a wet/dry. As far as HOBs go, ACs, I think, are the best.

Fishguy2727
05-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Biowheels are the best form of biological filtration, including wet/dry. Whispers are good, but AquaClears are better.