PDA

View Full Version : Bettas and aquarium salt

Bellie816
01-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Can they tolerate aquarium salt? I add it for my platies... but wondered when I get a betta will that adversely affect him somehow?

rich311k
01-12-2010, 01:01 PM
There is no real need to add salt at all. I would think the betta could tolerate small bit.

Northernguy
01-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Bettas can handle salt but its best to only use salt for treating illness and wounds.
Your platies will do great in freshwater too.

VoidParadigm
01-12-2010, 02:55 PM
The term freshwater means just that. Unless you have platies from a breeder or you yourself used brackish water to raise them or they're a specific special species that only survives with salt they don't need any salt unless you're treating for sickness. The smaller livebearers (mollies, platies, guppies) in pet stores are almost all bred in freshwater.

Having salt constantly in the aquarium also means that any sickness that gets in will be immune to salt treatments (one of the safer methods of treating, as there's no chemicals.)

So, really, I'd suggest that during your next waterchange you don't bother adding any more salt. :shrug: I personally wouldn't add a betta if you're going to continue using salt.

Bellie816
01-13-2010, 12:55 AM
Bettas can handle salt but its best to only use salt for treating illness and wounds.
Your platies will do great in freshwater too.

Well part of the reason that I am using salt right now is because my nitrite level is higher until my tank adjusts to my newly added platies (I added them 6 days ago and my nitrites jumped up significantly) and I read that the aquarium salt helps decrease the toxicity of nitrites. Not sure if this is true or not.. but I thought I would try it as a precaution. Also my platy has pop eye and did have two small white spots on him (thought it was possibly ich) and has clamped fins (which I assume could be stress from the nitrites, tank move, and/or pop eye). The two white spots have gone away and now he only has clamped fins like half of the time. So I'm assuming that the salt is helping him heal a bit. So I plan on not adding salt with my water changes once my nitrites go to 0 and my platy heals from the pop eye. As of right now I have to do water changes once or twice a day to keep the nitrites in check so I'm adding salt with each 25% change. About a teaspoonful each change. So to make a long story short, lol, I will not add salt once the tank is leveled out and so then I won't have to worry about it when my betta is added. :hmm3grin2orange:

I guess it's not true that platies are brackish water fish then?

VoidParadigm
01-13-2010, 01:30 AM
When those small types of livebearer are in the wild they often get washed around by streams and such. Especially the fry, so you can sometimes find them in brackish water in the wild, where they can tolerate it and will survive, sometimes even breed. At least mollys can be gradually changed to having a rather high salinity level, I do believe. Guppies, platies, and mollies all seem to have high tolerances for salt.

However, even though they can tolerate salt in the aquarium I don't like using any at all with them. I'm a firm believer of "fresh is fresh."

annageckos
01-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Platies(and other livebearers too) like harder water. A lot of people think salt/brackish and hard water are interchangble. They can be found in brackish water at times in the wild, but are not true brackish fish. As for adding salt to your tank be careful. Each time you add salt the level is going to get higher and higher unless you are doing 100% waterchanges or adding less salt each time.

Northernguy
01-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Most fish stores keep their fish in freshwater.Just ask when you are purchasing to make sure.
The fish you see in these stores are not wild caught unless its a great store that specializes in wild caughts.
Salt is great for wounds and illness but is not neccesary.