PDA

View Full Version : More multi questions... sexing this time

Cascade
01-12-2010, 04:31 AM
...and the questions keep on coming (thanks for your patience everyone!)

I've read the only way to sex multies is based on their size. Are there any behavioral clues too, or not really? I have 4 that are approximately an inch long...right in that in-between size of males and females. I'm anxious to know because I'm afraid that I have 4 males, and I want to hurry up and swap some out while the guy at the LFS remembers that he told me I could :-)

There has been no pairing up that I've observed. There is clearly one dominant fish (I assume male) who keeps everyone else at a distance. The smallest one set up shop in the rocks instead of the shells. That one's stripes recently turned darker (not in a stressed kind of a way, I don't think, more of a contrast change - like it was trying to show off to someone maybe? Or maybe I'm way off base there). The others are fairly nondescript behavior-wise, they are just sorta there and doing their own thing (lotsa digging). At this age/size, should I have already seen some pairing? I've had them in there for only one week now, maybe I'm just anxious...

Thank you everyone for your help!

little hawaii
01-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Pretty young yet but you may only have 1 male. give them a few months.

toddnbecka
01-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Patience grasshopper, give the fish time to settle in. You only need a pair or at most a trio (1m/2f) for breeding. Any more than that is counterproductive unless you have enough space and shells for 2 separate colonies in the tank.

Cascade
01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Patience grasshopper, give the fish time to settle in. You only need a pair or at most a trio (1m/2f) for breeding. Any more than that is counterproductive unless you have enough space and shells for 2 separate colonies in the tank.

Haha, yes, I know...one of those virtues that I don't have. My main concern isn't the breeding, I just don't want to end up with a group of fish that want to claim more territory than they have (i.e. 4 males). I want to make it as peaceful as possible, so I've been keeping a close eye on them to see who's who and hoping for just one male, maybe 2 with the rest females.