PDA

View Full Version : Serrasalmus rhombeus "Black Piranha"

LethalResistanz
01-12-2010, 02:18 AM
One of my LFS shops just got these guys in. They are labeled as "black piranha". From what I here these guys are super slow growers. They are about the size of a dime right now and are only $18 each. Since they are such slow growers from what I've read they can be worth quite a pretty penny if you grow them out.

Anyone every keep one of these guys?

"The most recent example is a 3 inch TL S. rhombeus that was purchased in 1994 and today (August 17, 2000) the fish is only 9 inches"
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/piranha038/rhombeus.html

I'm really considering getting one and putting it in a 55 by itself and let it grow out for a couple years.

My main concern is food. Would one of theseguys be able to be trained onto pellets? You may may think its lame but ethically I really would only do, Earthworms, bloodworms, and pellets. Possibly shrimp but that's a bit of a stretch.

VoidParadigm
01-12-2010, 02:53 AM
If you don't want to go for the more aggressive means of feeding, I imagine the worms would be a big hit. It would be especially good if you could raise at least some of the worms yourself. Then you could feed them exactly what you want the fish to eat - just in case you can't get it to move onto prepared food.

little hawaii
01-12-2010, 03:08 AM
One of my LFS shops just got these guys in. They are labeled as "black piranha". From what I here these guys are super slow growers. They are about the size of a dime right now and are only $18 each. Since they are such slow growers from what I've read they can be worth quite a pretty penny if you grow them out.

Anyone every keep one of these guys?

"The most recent example is a 3 inch TL S. rhombeus that was purchased in 1994 and today (August 17, 2000) the fish is only 9 inches"
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/piranha038/rhombeus.html

I'm really considering getting one and putting it in a 55 by itself and let it grow out for a couple years.

My main concern is food. Would one of theseguys be able to be trained onto pellets? You may may think its lame but ethically I really would only do, Earthworms, bloodworms, and pellets. Possibly shrimp but that's a bit of a stretch.

I used to breed fish and sell them a lot. I had a friend bring me a icecream bucket full of Black pirans. they where fertalized so i stuck them in a 75 gallon grow out tank. they hatched out nice, no fungus. I started with 340 fry. In a week they had eaten eachother down to 110. Buy the time they were 4" I only had 35 left and could not find a buyer localy. I ended uptalking the lps into 5.00 each and they had a big sale promotion put in the paper. I would not keep them myself, they are for a certain breed of aquarist. you may be one of them, but think long and hard. If they are feed well they grow to 10" in two yrs. If they are not feed well they eat each other. They are extremely dirty feeders and need clean tanks. Twice the maint. The fellow I got them from had 7 monsters in a 190g. - 3 filters, bare tank except for some willow roots. Lots of roots in one corner, they spawned there and the filters sucked up the eggs i got. He also raises his own rats, ya for guess what. ONce would be cool to see. Mine never ate anything that did not move. Good luck.

HomaridNoob6
01-12-2010, 03:09 AM
Not as slow growing as you might think when well fed and kept in good conditions. My uncle used to keep these. They do get large, although he may have been misinformed and was keeping something other than Rhombeus, I would be a bit wary of that. Even in my Axelrod atlas' what is marked as rhombeus does not appear to be a black. I imagine there could be a lot of variation, which is typical with more uncommon fish as to what it actually is.

I have no doubt that they will eat worms, but training them onto pellets could take some time. If you have the space for them as adults I say go for it. Many different species of serrasalmus have varied growth rates and sizes depending on their feeding and conditions. I'm also not sure that is even the correct scientific name for them anymore. It changes so often.

I'm no expert, so see what others say. Either way, most serrasalmus species do not seem to be very particular for their diet as long as it isn't low quality flake.

Demjor19
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
They are extremely slow growers and most will not surpass 11" in their entire captive raised lifetime. They seem to reach about 6" fairly quickly (in about a year), then slow down considerably. They will readily accept pellets and raw fish/shrimp...especially since yours will be so young.

I had a wild caught Peruvian female Rhom that was a little over 13" long and she was an incredible fish to keep and watch. I unfortunately lost her in 2009 and would buy one again, if I decided to shell out that kind of money again.

Anyway...If you are sure you only want one fish in a tank and like Black Rhoms...I would say do it! Patience is a virtue with these fish (they are shy at first and do grow slowely). Wait it out and you won't be disappointed!

:22:

Northernguy
01-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Demjor how was yours fed?
I have seen many pirahnas eat pellets but they need a varied diet if possible.
If you plan on feeding live than start a feeder tank so you can at least feed it healthy fish.

VoidParadigm
01-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Uhm... NG...

Northernguy
01-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Uhm... NG...

I was asking Demjor what he fed his.lol
He had a real beauty!

VoidParadigm
01-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Fair enough. Was merely reposting that comment by the OP due to the "If you plan to raise feeders..." statement.

Northernguy
01-12-2010, 03:02 PM
lmao I'm so confused!:hmm3grin2orange:
I have read it over 3 times and not once does it mention "If you plan to raise feeders..." !?!!

VoidParadigm
01-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Ack. Sorry. Fine. "If you plan on feeding live than start a feeder tank so you can at least feed it healthy fish."

Bother. I got three hours of sleep last night, then spent two hours in a Chem lab trying to figure out why I was only getting 43.6% yield from the stupid Iron. :scry: So, yeah, brain's a bit fuzzy. =P

Anyways, point is, OP wants to avoid having to do fish as feeders. :lol:

Demjor19
01-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I was asking Demjor what he fed his.lol
He had a real beauty!

Thanks! I miss her alot!

She ate Raw Shrimp, Krill, Silversides, Smelt, and Pellets (on occassion). I never fed her live food items. She also wasn't a big fan of pellets, but smaller Rhoms are much easier to convert to pellets.

LethalResistanz
01-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Sorry, I've been a bit busy. Actually just got my license. Anyway,I've been researching quite a bit. These guys a dime sized. But they are black? From what I've read most (if not all) rhombeus start out light colored and turn darker later in life. Any thoughts? It's a heck of a drive so I'd hate to go there and get a pacu or something. They are just labeled "black piranha"

Live foods are out of the questions I just don't have the heart for that. (besides insects). Maybe this is the wrong fish for me. It just would of been a nice kinda like OMG you got a piranha in your room.

Demjor19
01-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Sorry, I've been a bit busy. Actually just got my license. Anyway,I've been researching quite a bit. These guys a dime sized. But they are black? From what I've read most (if not all) rhombeus start out light colored and turn darker later in life. Any thoughts? It's a heck of a drive so I'd hate to go there and get a pacu or something. They are just labeled "black piranha"

Live foods are out of the questions I just don't have the heart for that. (besides insects). Maybe this is the wrong fish for me. It just would of been a nice kinda like OMG you got a piranha in your room.

Get a picture...it's very easy to tell the difference between Rhoms and other Piranha species. Pacu look nothing like a Piranha...once you know what your looking for.