PDA

View Full Version : Veggies for red cherry shrimp

Hailey
01-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Would it be ok to feed them red bell peppers or green bell peppers?
Its just thats all we have at the moment, and I would love to try feeding them something new.

BTW I finally found the baby shrimplett I got for free, and holly has he grown! I couldnt believe he grew so much already.

I hope these ones breed! Im pretty sure even though their juveniles that I have males and females, I just dont see any saddles yet.

toddnbecka
01-12-2010, 03:40 AM
Peppers are a bit tough, they really prefer dead leaves. Back when I had a 10 gallon full of them I would bring in dead water lily leaves from the backyard pond. They would swarm all over the leaves, and would have a couple 4-5" diameter leaves completely consumed within 24 hours with some help from the snails.)

Hailey
01-12-2010, 06:02 AM
hmm, really, could you use almost any leaves?

korith
01-12-2010, 06:15 AM
I've used veggies, but never tried peppers. Don't see why it wouldn't work. Just cut them up and try a piece of it, you'll probably have to weigh it down. Let us know if shrimp like spicy food.

Oh and yes leaves work.

toddnbecka
01-12-2010, 06:36 AM
The thing to watch about using leaves from ponds or other wet locations is the risk of unwanted hitchikers like hydra. Dry leaves are fine, but the shrimp won't eat them until they begin to break down after soaking for some time.

Hailey
01-12-2010, 08:24 AM
oh yah, well what about leaves from my other tanks that have come off and starting to decay? they would be perfect right?

VoidParadigm
01-12-2010, 03:01 PM
As long as the tanks the plants are in are healthy, I don't see why those leaves wouldn't be quite the good idea.

toddnbecka
01-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Those would be fine; the more dead they are the better the shrimp like them. Another (disgusting) thing I found that my cherry shrimp liked to eat was the moldy food that accumulated on the inside of the plastic lid. Apparently some either stuck from the moisture when I was feeding, or the breaking air bubbles deposited it. Shrimp actually eat bacteria, so anything that's decaying is a smorgasboard for them.

Hailey
01-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Well thanks, thats good to know. I've never even read anything like that on the internet.
Thats why I love this place!