PDA

View Full Version : Featherfins are getting huge!

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2010, 02:41 PM
I love these guys. Last night I had to put them in with my parrots for the next week and all I heard last night was banging and clunking in that tank. They come to the glass when they see me approach for their daily begging routine.

They are definately not fish for a small tank. Probably 7" now and I believe should be done growing in length but sure are getting fat. I think both are females but one is the chaser and the other the hider.

smaug
01-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Mine is super cool.I nickname him Shakka.Very nice ff Lady.I would love to have a whole flock of them if I ever get a 150 gal tank I will.

Northernguy
01-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Nice shots Lady Hobbs!
They are great looking fish!thumbs2:

kaybee
01-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Nice sized syno's!

When I kept two featherfins in the same tank they had a love-hate relationship (they'd either be chasing each other or cruising together).

They're also 'vocal' fish, capable of 'squeaking' when removed from the water.

rich311k
01-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Great looking fish! I love feather fins.

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Nice sized syno's!

When I kept two featherfins in the same tank they had a love-hate relationship (they'd either be chasing each other or cruising together).

They're also 'vocal' fish, capable of 'squeaking' when removed from the water.

When I bought them and the lady was putting them in the bag, they tore out 3 plastic bags with their spikes and was just a squaking up a storm. If they're in their cave and I move it, they do a vibrating thing that's a bit weird. But I really like them alot and especially the largest of the two who will sit nose to nose with me when I'm sitting infront of the tank.

My largest one chases the smaller of the two but never any injuries. Unless they are both together I can't tell which is the largest without the comparison. Both are plenty fat and so much near the same size, I can't tell one from the other.

gabbyguppy
01-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Pretty fish and great pics.

Karen

kaybee
01-10-2010, 05:30 PM
When I bought them and the lady was putting them in the bag, they tore out 3 plastic bags with their spikes and was just a squaking up a storm...

That reminds me when I got my first pair years ago (they were 4" specimens at that point). The sales personed placed them in a double bag and the featherfins popped it with their spines. He tried 3 bags and they did the same. While attempting the 4th bag, they popped that too and pricked his finger in the process (he almost dropped them!). He eventually scrapped trying to bag them and just gave them to me in a 5gal bucket.

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Not sure why the don't carry plastic containers for certain fish. Made no sense to me at the time, either.

Rue
01-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Very cool. I don't think I've seen those in real life either...

toddnbecka
01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Good looking fish, definitely overfed, at least put a powerhead in the tank to create more current and give them some exercise. :hmm3grin2orange:
How old are they? Mine is still growing, and doesn't have the round belly like those. He/she has had a group of Synodontis multipunctatus and a few cichlids to compete with for food, no longer the biggest fish since moving into the 75. Yesterday 2 of the multi's were swapped for 2m/4f Aulonacara jacobfreibergi. Too many males in the group of multi's, the two "outcasts" were constantly getting chewed up. (Not too serious, but it couldn't be pleasant.) The male jakes will look like this when they color up a bit more: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Aulonacara+jacobfreibergi#focal=34418cf6c 38f3e404a9b7bff2932fb6b&furl=http://www.cichlidstore.com/shop/images/Aulonocara%20jacobfreibergi%20Otter%20Point.jpg

Crispy
01-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Nice featherfins LH! I am not a fan of keeping these fish, but love seeing big fat ones. :hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
01-11-2010, 12:40 PM
They're 3 years old. They just started getting fat the last few months and from what I've read, it's not uncommon for them. Guess when they stop growing in length they began in girth. :)

I like them a lot. They aren't poop factories like pleco's, don't throw the substrate around or dig in it and appear to get along with most fish atho can be ornery with their own.

I know my firemouths,blood parrots and angels have all hated them. Not sure why they claim to "get along" well with cichlids. Perhaps only because the cichlids don't seem to be able to harm them? Doesn't mean they "get along".

rhonin
01-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Yup!
Yours look like they are in the filling out stage.
I have a couple - one older one and you are right, they are a great fish!

Have my older male in my mbuna tank (he does great cleaning up) and he always comes out to wait while the others are fed so he can get the sinkers.

One funny behavior, he will periodically clean the intake to my AC - private grazing area!

Nice fish!!
:22:

toddnbecka
01-11-2010, 05:45 PM
They mix well enough with cichlids because they can hold their own ground. They don't get starved out, beat up, or stressed to death by larger, tougher cichlids. On the other hand, they don't do any harm to the cichlids either. Cory cats don't mix well with most commonly kept cichlids, while Synodontis of just about any sort usually will.

Spartanhockey89
01-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Love the cats. I had a pair of these and my sister named them Husband and Wife. They entertain themselves, always chasing each other. They'd go around a log for like 10 minutes straight, and then sit together all night. They really are fish with a personality. And they get FAT!