PDA

View Full Version : Jenn's 55G FOWLR

MCHRKiller
01-10-2010, 05:16 AM
As it has cleared up, and I have officially moved the rock in...I figured I would go ahead and start the journal. The tank probably wont become a reef as I wont have time to properly dedicate to it and I will be moving in about 2 years anyway, couldnt safetly order corals before spring so by the time it got to looking pretty I would have to tear it down again anyway. lol Plus FOWLR will give me the option to keep some of the random smaller fish I have been eyeballing without as much restriction.

I still have the lighting situation to work on, the fixture I had planned for it sparked and had a small flame come from it today when I plugged it in and turned it on. I got slightly electricuted while turning it off. Promptly dumped it into the trash and dug out a single tube T8 just to get some actinic on the rock until the new fixture comes. I ordered a 4ft 2*28watt Coralife Aqualight T5(10K and Actinic) http://reefwarehouse.com/coralife-aqualight-inch-double-linear-strip-aquarium-lighting-fixture-2x28-watt-p-1609.html

I also won a 2nd CPR HOB skimmer on ebay, its just the CPR 2...need to pick up a bio-bale and pre-skimmer and it will match my current CPR Reef Ready. Right now the tank just has the 30lbs of LR from the 15G, I also dug out 40ish lbs of sugar sized aragonite I had in storage for the tank. Didnt think it would be enough but sure enough after mixing in some of the LS from the 15G it looks like enough. I also had 2 Nass. snails, and 5 hermits to survive the power outage:11:

So here is what my final tech specs will look like on the setup:

60lbs LR
~10lbs base rock to fill in any gaps here or there
2*off brand "AC" powerheads 340GPH each
1*Koralia 1
1*CPR 2R+ BakPak Skimmer
1*CPR BakPak 2 Skimmer
2*AC50s-chemical filtration
56watts standard T5 lighting(10K and Actinic)

Fish list:
1 Maroon Clown
1 Bicolor Dwarf Angel
2-3 smaller fish that can take care of themselves

And here is a shitty cell phone pic of the tank,
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/Needle_Slave/DSC_0256.jpg

Any fish suggestions...are very welcomed I am at a loss after picking those 2.

Northernguy
01-10-2010, 05:20 AM
I knew there was an awesome tank pic in here somewhere!
That sounds like a well thought out plan Jenn!Why start something twice!
Are you getting a place with proper tank space too!lol

Miltonic
01-10-2010, 05:23 AM
looking good Jenn, it sucks it wont be a reef but you can keep some nice no reef safe fish. I suggest you look for a wrasse of some kind most of them are awesome and have great personalities.

here's some nice ones (http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productlist.asp?did=1&cid=289)

MCHRKiller
01-10-2010, 05:35 AM
Ive decided the next reef I setup I want it to be a permanant thing, Ive lost both of my past ones to power outages so Im not going to repeat that a 3rd time.

I have also kind of opted to keep some of the less invasive Macros in the tank, kind of a SW planted if you will, so it should add some visual interest to the tank. Thanks for the link, Ill check it out :22:

Miltonic
01-10-2010, 05:42 AM
yeah, now that I think about it you should wait till you are in a place more stable and that's a cool idea some Macro algae look amazing.

MCHRKiller
01-10-2010, 06:06 AM
lol, funny thing is we own a generator. Either we arnt home to use it, or dont prepare for anarctica and buy fuel for it. :hmm3grin2orange: The parentals are installing solar panels this spring so I guess it wouldnt die of an outage again but I just dont want to deal with moving it :22:

Lab_Rat
01-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Sounds like a good plan Jenn! I know nothing of SW so may I suggest a hammerhead shark for stocking. :hmm3grin2orange:

Goodbye
01-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Sounds great, MC! Can't wait to see it when it's fully stocked!

bluebluecow
01-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Yeah a new s/w thread to follow, sounds great. In practical fish keeping they have just done a s/w with Macro algie so a planted s/w looked great

damm site is down for maintence will have a look later and see if I can find the link

liz

MCHRKiller
01-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys! SW of any sort is by default more exciting than FW IMO. I cant wait for it to be stocked either, probably buy the extra rock in a few days :22:

Awesome BBC! Cant wait for that link :11:

Miltonic
01-11-2010, 04:09 AM
lol, funny thing is we own a generator. Either we arnt home to use it, or dont prepare for anarctica and buy fuel for it. :hmm3grin2orange: The parentals are installing solar panels this spring so I guess it wouldnt die of an outage again but I just dont want to deal with moving it :22:
I hear you on that since im totally not looking forward to tearing down my 90 but I want that 180 so im willing to do it:hmm3grin2orange: