PDA

View Full Version : I want a betta. Questions?

Hawkshadow123
01-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Hello! :22:

So, I wanna have a second chance at betta fish (My other one died with dignity, lol). So, I have an empty 2.5 gallon tank. I'm going to get a new filter, because the one that came with it is a piece of crap. Anyway, I want to make it a planted tank. What plants do bettas like? What kind of filter would you reccomend? I am going to start the fishless cycle tomorrow after I get a test kit and some ammonia.

Ohmygosh, I saw the most CUTEST betta ever. He's a tan and red marble betta. And he's at my LPS. Whoa...lmao. I'ma try to reserve him to myself....mwahahahaha.

Anymore advice is welcome!!thumbs2:

Thanks!!:22:

Kazenouta
01-10-2010, 04:43 AM
My advice to you is to get a bigger tank. I think the lowest recommended tank size I've seen for a Betta is 3 gallons(for the sake of being humane I would say at least a 5 gallon). As far as plants are concerned, I'm keeping mine in a tank with Egeria Densa which I think you can pretty readily find at your LFS.

As far as your filter goes, I unfortunately don't have a recommendation besides saying that you'll want to make sure you're not creating too great of a current in your tank as the Betta's natural environment is rather stagnant and unmoving.

Hope this helps.

Northernguy
01-10-2010, 05:25 AM
You can get a foam filter or a small aqua clear filter.I beleive they are called the mini.lol
Bettas like a planted tank.It gives them security.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bettafish/

xximanoobxx
01-10-2010, 05:28 AM
wild bettas ftw

Hawkshadow123
01-10-2010, 03:04 PM
OH and would a really small air pump do good with bettas...or no?

Northernguy
01-10-2010, 03:12 PM
You can use a small air pump to run a foam filter or you can get a hang on the back filter (aqua clear mini) that needs no bubbles.

annageckos
01-10-2010, 03:17 PM
For a filter I would go with a sponge filter. They run off a air pump. I have seen multible sponge filters used in a 75 and they did a good job. I have used them for tanks upto 20 gallons without problems. They make no current which is better for the bettas. You will also need a heater for your tank. For plants java moss, java fern, crypts and anubias are all easy low light plants.

Hawkshadow123
01-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Okay, well, I'm going to go to a fish store that I've never been before (Its about 20 minutes away) beacuse I found out my LFS were not selling plants!! I'll see what they have at that LFS. Let's have our fingers crossed!!

I think I'll get a sponge filter (what about in-tank filter?). And I'm getting a heater.

I'm thinking about buying silk plants and some fake plants...and a couple of real ones, too (probably Java Fern and Anubias).

Northernguy
01-10-2010, 03:54 PM
A sponge filter is an in tank filter!thumbs2:

annageckos
01-10-2010, 04:11 PM
This link will show you some sponge filters. http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquarium-sponge-filters.html

hursab
01-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Quite honestly filters annoy bettas. I say ney on them and yay to water changes. I think they will like anything over time but the pipe cleaner looking ones are good. (Sorry I forget my self)

Bubbles annoy them as well so be carful. Your 2.5 will be lovely and quite humane for a betta.

annageckos
01-10-2010, 05:44 PM
I have alway used filters with my bettas, both sponge and HOB. As long as the flow is not too high, or the surface too aggitated than they don't seem too mind. I have a small sponge filter running my snail tank now and with the lift tube that comes with it it doesnt' aggatate the surface much.