PDA

View Full Version : Emperor Tetras and Green Tiger Barbs

Astrea
01-10-2010, 12:20 AM
I hate to ask this question, but after reading the entire Barbs section I came up with several different answers. Yes, mix them. No, don't the Barbs will nip the Tetra's fins.... etc.

So, just as a final word: in a tank where they would be the only occupants (besides a pleco - not a common), would you mix Emperor Tetras with Green Tiger Barbs?

Just to add: it's a 20 gallon tank and it may not end up with a Pleco, but maybe a pair of Corys.

Lab_Rat
01-10-2010, 04:59 AM
If it were a 55g tank I would likely try it, but with only 20g (is it a 20g high or a 20g long?) I would stick to one or the other. Cories would be ok, but I'd recommend 6 instead of a pair as they are a schooling fish.

Northernguy
01-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!

I agree with what Labrat said!
Also a no plecos are good in a twenty.

Astrea
01-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the quick answers and the welcome. :ssmile: Here's the deal if you don't mind a novel.

I have koi in a pond in my yard, so have some experience with ph, nitrates, nitrites, filters, etc. I know very little about tropicals (yes, I read the e-book) and would not be so arrogant to assume my koi knowledge means a thing here, so I have researched and read this board and articles, etc, for a week now in preparation for my 20g and this board has been a great help.

I'll say up front that I'm scared to overpopulate the tank from experience with my koi.

The tank is 20 long, I assume. Dimensions are 24 wide, 12 deep and 16 tall.

We have cycled the tank. Heater is at 76. We're going to add fake plants since we have to divide time and maintenace between my pond and the tank.

The Green barbs are just flat beautiful and are coming home eventually. Period.

My husband, since I first posted, has his heart set on a pleco he saw vs the cories I mentioned. BUT! Since I forgot to write the name of the pleco down and I have learned how big some of them get, I will be researching that guy before he comes home.

The starting concensus is six Green barbs and the pleco if it's ok to bring him home. So....

Questions:

My husband wants variety in the tank, hence the original question on Emperor Tetras - which I understand and appreciate because in my koi pond, no two look even vaguely alike.

I have learned from here that barbs of all variety tend to school/get along. Not always, but often enough to where it should be ok. What is the MAX number of barbs for my 20g?

We may want to add Tiger, Rosy or Cherry. Are there any barbs that should NOT be mixed with the Greens because of their nature or size or what have you?

Does the male/female ratio have any effect on harmony in the school of barbs?

Ideally I'm looking for the tank to hold this, which if I understood Lab Rat correctly, is doable, and I just need advice on the number of barbs:

School of barbs, mixed and maxed, at advised number.
One pleco. (still a maybe)
Cories at six.

Random question: Would a barb eat a neon?

I'll say again more strongly that I'm *terrified* to overpopulate. If someone tells me that's not doable, I'm taking it as gospel and will happily follow your advice and start all over back at the six Green and the pleco.

Wow... I have a feeling that this is going to turn into an obsession like the one I have with my koi......

annageckos
01-10-2010, 05:04 PM
You can mix all the different color forms of tiger barbs together if you want variety. A school of 8-10 tiger barbs mixing the normal, green and albino would be nice. A school of the smaller cories like pygmy or panda cories. I think a clown pleco would stay small enough to go in the tank, but they need wood and some do hide alot. I would pick on type of fish for a tank of this size, mayb two schools of smaller, calmer fish. If you want barbs I would only do the one school of them. You could also do the same with rosy barbs, there are a couple of different color forms of them too. Just replace the tigers with the rosies.

Astrea
01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
> male/female ratio

I found the answer to this one. Thanks. (More females than males.)

Lab_Rat
01-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Agree with what anna said. The nice thing about tiger barbs are the color morphs. You can do the green, regular, and albino tiger barbs plus a small plec. The clown is one option, others are smaller bristlenose species or a rubberlip plec.

In a tank that size, you'd be better off sticking with one barb species. As it is, the tiger barbs are deep bodied fish and produce a good bit of waste due to their larger mass. I'd probably go with 8 tiger barbs (whatever variants you want) and a lone small plec.

rich311k
01-10-2010, 09:56 PM
I think a twenty with 6-8 tiger barbs is full, maybe a small pleco but I woul not keep much else.

Astrea
01-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks bunches. You guys are great. :ssmile: