PDA

View Full Version : if not flourish?

speakerpedal
01-09-2010, 11:40 PM
So I think I might have found the reason my cherries were dying. I was putting small amounts of flourish in them and it turns out there's a .ooo1 trace of copper. My other shrimp weren't effected and the amanos have been going with it for a while but I guess that's the main reason. So if I can't put in flourish, what's a good plant fertilizer that I can used for my tank that won't harm shrimp. i.e. have copper.

Best,
matt

annageckos
01-09-2010, 11:47 PM
I am not sure it is the flourish. If it was all the shrimp would be dieing. Beside, a lot of people use it, and as far as I know it would have to be in larger doses. Even inverts need trace amounts of copper. Where you over dosing? Maybe try cutting the dose in half or 3/4. That is too little copper in it to affect the shrimp unless you dosed too much or didn't do water changes. I have used flourish with shrimp, cherries, ghosties and a bamboo along with many different kinds of snails with out a problem. How long have you had the shrimp? Maybe they are from bad stock.

speakerpedal
01-10-2010, 01:26 AM
I am not sure it is the flourish. If it was all the shrimp would be dieing. Beside, a lot of people use it, and as far as I know it would have to be in larger doses. Even inverts need trace amounts of copper. Where you over dosing? Maybe try cutting the dose in half or 3/4. That is too little copper in it to affect the shrimp unless you dosed too much or didn't do water changes. I have used flourish with shrimp, cherries, ghosties and a bamboo along with many different kinds of snails with out a problem. How long have you had the shrimp? Maybe they are from bad stock.

I too have used flourish on bamboo and amano. The only shrimp in my tank that seem to be dying off are the cherries. They're about a week old in that tank as well as the other ghost shrimp I got but other than that I can't think of any other factors besides them being new to the tank. I checked the percentage of copper in the flourish and it's really low and since my tank is small I don't really put that much to begin with.

rich311k
01-10-2010, 02:16 AM
There is just not enough copper in Flourish if used as directed to hurt a shrimp. I have several friends that use it in their shrimp tanks.