PDA

View Full Version : Who will solve the mystery?

xoolooxunny
04-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Ok, so, 50% water change today. before WC-5ppm nitrate. AFTER WC-5ppm nitrate again! Is this normal? Normally, I go from 10 to 5, but this week i went from 5 to 5. Any ideas?

Drumachine09
04-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Ok, so, 50% water change today. before WC-5ppm nitrate. AFTER WC-5ppm nitrate again! Is this normal? Normally, I go from 10 to 5, but this week i went from 5 to 5. Any ideas?

Check the nitrates from the tap.

cocoa_pleco
04-24-2007, 11:23 PM
ditto. Tap check time

jeffs99dime
04-24-2007, 11:31 PM
yes. you should be checking your tap water parameters seasonally so you can see what's in your water prior to introducing it into the tank. i'm betting that you will find the tap water has 5ppm nitrate. just to let you know, 5ppm nitrate is an acceptable level. you really don't want it to pass 20ppm.--jeff

xoolooxunny
04-24-2007, 11:43 PM
thanks guys (smacks self in head). What a stupid oversight on my part. Looks like I'm a hair under 5ppm from fresh tap, so that explains it. I guess I was just excited to see a big drop in nitrates since this was the first full 50% WC ever on my 75g, since i made my python.

jeffs99dime
04-24-2007, 11:45 PM
thanks guys (smacks self in head). What a stupid oversight on my part. Looks like I'm a hair under 5ppm from fresh tap, so that explains it. I guess I was just excited to see a big drop in nitrates since this was the first full 50% WC ever on my 75g, since i made my python.

don't forget to test ammonia, ph, and nitrite from the tap too. also, if you have any inverts, you may want to test the tap for copper too.

xoolooxunny
04-24-2007, 11:53 PM
I'll have to go out and get a copper test kit. I'm guessing some will be present on account of the copper water pipes??? Anywho, I test the ph of the tap regularly, and its pretty darn close to neutral every time. i never have any ammonia or nitrites in my tank each week i test it, so i think the tap is pretty good on those parameters. Thanks for the heads up! I didnt know we were supposed to check SEASONALLY!

jeffs99dime
04-25-2007, 12:04 AM
I'll have to go out and get a copper test kit. I'm guessing some will be present on account of the copper water pipes??? Anywho, I test the ph of the tap regularly, and its pretty darn close to neutral every time. i never have any ammonia or nitrites in my tank each week i test it, so i think the tap is pretty good on those parameters. Thanks for the heads up! I didnt know we were supposed to check SEASONALLY!

yeah. typically water companies will add and subtract chemicals based on the seasons. they do where i live