PDA

View Full Version : new can't get thi right yet

diamer
01-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi all. I have a Pond that did myself 5 years ago. I have many Kio's and goldfish. need help In florida it is getting COLD 27 tonight ,never had this before, How do I keep them safe tonight?

gm72
01-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Welcome aboard. Moving post to the appropriate forum.

As for the temperature I don't think you have much to worry about.

diamer
01-09-2010, 03:00 PM
thank you,they are not eatting .don't need a heater now.

Northernguy
01-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
The fish will eat less as the water gets colder.I beleive their metabolism slows down so they do not need as much to survive.
Smaug will be on soon and he might have a few ideas for you.

VoidParadigm
01-09-2010, 04:22 PM
There is a good chance the koi and goldfish will survive. Especially if the cold spell only lasts a few days. Water temperature stays a bit warmer than air temperature, anyways.

If you're truly worried about them go out and buy some rubbermaid containers or a kiddy pool or just something large that will hold water. Put it in part of your house, then try to catch the fish and put them into the holding space. <- of course with this method you'll also have to buy dechlorinator, a net, and depending on how long they're inside a filter.

smaug
01-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Greetings from the deep freeze that is Pa.Ive kept pond fish for quite a few years through many cold winters where the pond froze for a month straight.The best thing for them is constance,leave them in there pond.The key to survival for the fish is air exchange.Just make sure there is an open hole for there co2 to escape and some 02 to get in.I accomplish this with moving water through the use of a small pump or as I have it now just from the movement of water due to my skimmer and waterfall.Make sure to give no food at all when the water temps are below 50 deg,that means don't feed them at 51 deg if the temps will be hovering at that for awhile.Do not feed till the water temps will be above 50 deg for the rest of the season,they will die from eating as they cannot digest food at that temp.Get a quality floating thermometer.My fish simply lie on the bottom all winter and "chill" excuse the pun.How big is your pond and how many total inches/feet of fish do you have?