PDA

View Full Version : moss tree

speakerpedal
01-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey, does anyone have any tips on fashioning moss on driftwood to make it look like a tree? like those sick aquascaping tanks? I've got a cute lil 3 gal with some moss but my boss is gonna hook me up some driftwood soon as was wondering how much I should tie on and if you guys have any personal tips. I've been able to fashion moss on a rock but I figure there might be some tricks to getting to look like a super kickass tree.

best,
Matt

Crispy
01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Someone here was supposed to try this and it does look really cool. Geowashlaw I think was his name. Hmm... he seems to have disappeared before we could see any results. Lemme see if I can dig up an old thread for ya...

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=38204

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=39167

Wow, I can't believe I remembered this... you're in luck! :fish:

bearweasel
01-08-2010, 08:18 PM
I am officially inspired. I'm redoing both of my tanks this weekend. Thankfully, I haven't put water into my 55 yet. :)

VoidParadigm
01-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Tie it on until the plant actually fastens hold of the driftwood. Once it's on good and tight just fertilize and prune into shape as nessicary. May of course take some practice to get it right, though.

speakerpedal
01-09-2010, 08:29 AM
cool, thanks for the advice guys. I'm not sure if any of you are in the los angeles area but if you are would you happen to know of any legit beaches where I can pick up some driftwood? My dad might want some for his tanks too.

2xtheman
01-31-2010, 11:25 PM
You shouldn't use drift wood from salt water in a fresh water tank.

You can do it, but you'll definitely need to treat the wood first to get rid of all the salts and any pollutants which may have leached into the wood.

If you only have a 3g tank, I would assume the drift wood is very small piece. Try boiling it for a couple of hours, to kill any bad germs/bacteria. Then you will need to soak it for a couple of days in treated water (close to your tank water). Say every 12 hours, you'll need to replace the water the driftwood is soaking in so that all the salts can be removed.

No point soaking driftwood to get the salt out if your just going to let it sit in the same salty water.

This is all assuming you just pick up some drift wood from the beach. If you get some from the local pet store, just soak it for 24 hours and put it in the tank!

wolf_eyes
01-31-2010, 11:32 PM
I soaked saltwater driftwood before. This is what me an my friend did and we had no ill effects to either of our tanks.
For the smaller pieces we boiled them in hot water for about 30 minutes.The larger pieces went into the dishwater (no soap or dishes, just the wood) to distill them. We then put all the pieces into a large plastic storage container of water and soaked them. Each day we emptied out the storage container and put in fresh water until the smell or salt water went away( put your nose an inch above the water and smell make sure there is absolutely no trace). After that we changed the water every other day to every third day.We finished up after all the driftwood was waterlogged and then did a thorough cleaning under some hot water, let them cool in cold water, and then put them in the tank. This process took about 3 weeks