PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of Large Fish

VoidParadigm
01-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Granted, there are many large fish who don't fit into the predatory section, but I personally think this is the most relevant section, especially considering most of the big fish owned by people of this site are predators. And apologies for being a bit morbid.

I searched around for a good ten minutes and couldn't find any previoius threads discussing this specific topic, so...

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how you would dispose of a large fish who had lived out its life... especially when some of these favorite predators of ours can reach sizes bigger than dogs. The tiger shovelnose for example has been recorded at weights about (by my research) 1.5x my own, and there are much bigger predators out there in the aquarium trade. How would you even get such a monster out of it's tank once it passed away?

bigbad-ratman
01-07-2010, 08:15 PM
my guess would be in pieces. not pretty to think about, but what else are you gonna do?

Scrup
01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I know most local SPCA/animal control offices will do animal pickups for deceased livestock/pets. I think they go by weight, so you would just pay whatever it would cost to have it taken away.

Or just freak out your neighbor and throw it into his pool, leave it sitting in a public toilet/subway/train with a cigar in its mouth, feed it to a troll..lots of options.

Rue
01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
...bury it...fish decay quickly...

bluebluecow
01-07-2010, 08:40 PM
well I wouldnt try flushing it lol

rhonin
01-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Kind of - they do make great fertilizer for a garden or flower bed.

When I had a yard I would bury them for such.
Now that I am in an apartment, I tend to dispose of them via the trash.

Something as big as you are talking about - wow

Homeless shelter fish fry? :22:

HorrorShowRot
01-07-2010, 08:47 PM
I A bury it or B burn it. I find the hole conecpt of just rotting a bit... how should I put this gross and sucks xD basicly cremate the fish. Only had to dispose of 1 large fish.

Crispy
01-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I would use a large fishing net to take it out and then bury it in a garden. Then set up 2 sticks to form a cross over his grave. :hmm3grin2orange:

little hawaii
01-08-2010, 04:19 AM
I had two two ' t shovelnose who both mysteriously died on the say night. We think they ate too much and drowned, I feed them a ton of crab meat and next morn. Two floaters. I did'nt know what to do with them, but not sure why but i decided to use them for crab bait next time i went out. I caught 18 dungeness in one pull on a 30'' trap. They loved it. So freeze them and use them for bait. The harder Q is what do people do with liveing giants.

Demjor19
01-08-2010, 04:43 AM
Trash, bury, or taxidermy.

Piscine
01-15-2010, 10:35 PM
I've always buried my fish in a marked grave, although I've never lost one of my large fish.

I wouldn't use it for anything that had to do with my food supply(use it for crab bait, to bait crabs I intended to eat)

I read somewhere that aquarium chemicals are toxic to humans if you consume something tainted with them.
That could've been hear-say though.

Oscar_freak12321
01-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Trash bag and trash can. I've only had to dispose of one monster so far(My RBP, R.I.P. big guy), and that's the only way I could think of at the time, and since we live in Tucson, we don't really have any dirt or plants to bury the thing in.

VoidParadigm
01-16-2010, 12:34 AM
I've always buried my fish in a marked grave, although I've never lost one of my large fish.

I wouldn't use it for anything that had to do with my food supply(use it for crab bait, to bait crabs I intended to eat)

I read somewhere that aquarium chemicals are toxic to humans if you consume something tainted with them.
That could've been hear-say though.

Depends on the type of chemical. Some chemicals we use for our aquariums are the same we sometimes use for ourselves. Others are total poison to us. So your concern is justified. :ssmile: I personally just wouldn't do it due to emotional attachment.

Amazon
01-16-2010, 12:46 AM
if you have a tree, the fish are good fertilizers, After we go fishing we would take the guts and bury them at the foot of a tree. That what the native Americans used to do.

Northernguy
01-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Trash, bury, or taxidermy.thumbs2:
and compost!:22:

james20
01-16-2010, 02:37 AM
put it in your friends bed under the sheets. That will scare the $#1* out of that person.

EmmanuelJB
01-16-2010, 02:39 AM
I say burry it! Alot of people are saying use as fertilizer, but in my opinoin, I couldn't stand to think my lovely friend was shredded up all over my garden. :scry:

Demjor19
01-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I say burry it! Alot of people are saying use as fertilizer, but in my opinoin, I couldn't stand to think my lovely friend was shredded up all over my garden. :scry:

Versus getting eaten by worms? When you bury them, they are essentially fertilizer anyways.

Rue
01-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Yes, if you bury it (but not wrapped up of course!), it's fertilizer...all good.

We usually bury and plant a tree over the smaller animals...need to do that this spring again...I find it's a nice way to remember and be 'one with nature'...

Demjor19
01-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Yes, if you bury it (but not wrapped up of course!), it's fertilizer...all good.

We usually bury and plant a tree over the smaller animals...need to do that this spring again...I find it's a nice way to remember and be 'one with nature'...

That's a nice idea!

Aeonflame
01-16-2010, 11:36 PM
I A bury it or B burn it. I find the hole conecpt of just rotting a bit... how should I put this gross and sucks xD basicly cremate the fish. Only had to dispose of 1 large fish.

A bit ironic for your name there HSR lol :hmm3grin2orange:

I do think burial is the best option if you have it. Other than that, your options are limited unless you aren't faint of heart.

HomaridNoob6
01-17-2010, 02:18 AM
LOL I was thinking the same thing. Someone with the word rot in their handle not liking the idea of an animal rotting is funny to me. Not trying to insult you, or bust your chops. so please don't take it wrong. Just kinda like me saying lobsters creep me out:hmm3grin2orange:

Any of the larger fish I have kept that died I have buried, and buried fairly deep when they died. Lotsa raccoons around here and they would go crazy if I threw a large fish in my trash. Heck, they go crazy and have even somehow opened a bungee corded shut trash can after a few of my regular "seafood feasts". Smart little buggers.

In a lot of ways, removing a large dead fish from a tank is much more of a problem than disposing of it is. The size and shape of the fish is gonna make it vary, but I have used this method. take 1 plastic garbage bag, cut the corners out, and get the fish into it, lift it out of the water and let water drain, have someone help you get another bag under it after the water drains, then dispose of it as you choose. If it is a really large fish this won't work, but I've done it with a few fish up to about 5-10 pounds by my estimate. Another option is just grabbing it out, possibly with help if it is that large! but that isn't very pleasant, and dead fish water dripping all over my floor is not something I would want.

Shaunjr_89
06-03-2010, 11:18 PM
I would Bury it. In my eyes Pets are friends so...

Owlbehere
06-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Bury it or cremate it. My sister's Betta died. She buried him and planted a flower on him. She is a landscape architect major and loves gardening.

tanks4thememories
06-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Granted, there are many large fish who don't fit into the predatory section, but I personally think this is the most relevant section, especially considering most of the big fish owned by people of this site are predators. And apologies for being a bit morbid.

I searched around for a good ten minutes and couldn't find any previoius threads discussing this specific topic, so...

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how you would dispose of a large fish who had lived out its life... especially when some of these favorite predators of ours can reach sizes bigger than dogs. The tiger shovelnose for example has been recorded at weights about (by my research) 1.5x my own, and there are much bigger predators out there in the aquarium trade. How would you even get such a monster out of it's tank once it passed away?

There are only four viable methods to dispose of any aquatic pet kept as a hobby irregardless of the size:
1) Animal control - If it is diseased
2) Burial - This is the preferred method.
3) Cremation
4) With some tartar sauce and a slice of lemon...lol J/K:hmm3grin2orange: - For those who might consider this it is not not advised if cause of death is questionable or there is any doubt if meds were ever used during the life of the animal. Since no one can be sure about either of those questions it is just a bad idea. Don't get offended at the thought though, after all fish eat fish all the time...lol

Seriously under no circumstances should you ever release an animal dead or alive:
- Into the sewage
- Down the toilet
- Into a lake, pond, Stream, aquifer...etc (only exception being your own pond.)
- The ocean
- Trash
- Land fill

Dead or alive fish we keep have been exposed to medications and bacteria that are slightly different than those found in the wild. And dead or alive they contain bacteria that are alive or dormant. This can have major adverse effects if released into the waterways.

Jeddi
06-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Kind of - they do make great fertilizer for a garden or flower bed.

When I had a yard I would bury them for such.
Now that I am in an apartment, I tend to dispose of them via the trash.

Something as big as you are talking about - wow

Homeless shelter fish fry? :22:
I was going to say this thumbs2: Anyone think this would be unethical, though? I know I'd get attached to any fish that large :scry:

I guess it would be "going to a good cause," but I just don't know. I'd probably use it to fertilize my cucumber and zucchini, since those are the plants I'd be using to feed my other fish. :)

Or in some cases, maybe you could directly feed certain parts to the fish?

tori.lock
06-04-2010, 11:46 PM
I normally hate to bug old threads, but I'd be pleased to take large, boney fish off people's hands. I'm a bone collector and with some maceration I could get a pretty neat skeleton. Who wouldn't love a great big TSN skull? And if I get really comfortable with my abilities, I might start cleaning skulls to ship back to the owner so they can have a piece of their fishy friend forever.

tanks4thememories
06-04-2010, 11:49 PM
I normally hate to bug old threads, but I'd be pleased to take large, boney fish off people's hands. I'm a bone collector and with some maceration I could get a pretty neat skeleton. Who wouldn't love a great big TSN skull? And if I get really comfortable with my abilities, I might start cleaning skulls to ship back to the owner so they can have a piece of their fishy friend forever.

Interesting. What is the minimum size you would want to mess with?

tori.lock
06-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Not sure. I've never done fish. I'm sure it would depend on the species. If it's a species with a more solid boney head, I could do smaller, but if it's a more delicate fish, bigger. To start with I'd probably want something with a little more mass to it.

Northernguy
06-05-2010, 02:37 AM
Not sure. I've never done fish. I'm sure it would depend on the species. If it's a species with a more solid boney head, I could do smaller, but if it's a more delicate fish, bigger. To start with I'd probably want something with a little more mass to it.
Your neighbors must love you!lol
Where do you do this? The smell from it would be pretty terrible!

tori.lock
06-05-2010, 07:01 AM
It's not as bad as you'd think. I've boiled heads in my dorm room. Typically you just remove as much of the flesh as possible, so the stink isn't so bad. I have yet to try a real maceration, opposed to a simmer.

Gisela
07-25-2010, 02:53 AM
I see all my fish as pets, just like my cats and dogs, sorry for beeing that sentimental! I have 6 1/2 acres around my house mostly wooded. I have a special place for burying my fish and another one for my cats (they even get gravestones with name and dates. I always joke with my husband if me make it later to the rainbowbridge, not only will we get run over on top, but all my fish will meet me underneath the bridge.

teddscau
07-25-2010, 08:44 PM
I'd cremate it.

Demjor19
07-25-2010, 09:24 PM
There are only four viable methods to dispose of any aquatic pet kept as a hobby irregardless of the size:
1) Animal control - If it is diseased
2) Burial - This is the preferred method.
3) Cremation
4) With some tartar sauce and a slice of lemon...lol J/K:hmm3grin2orange: - For those who might consider this it is not not advised if cause of death is questionable or there is any doubt if meds were ever used during the life of the animal. Since no one can be sure about either of those questions it is just a bad idea. Don't get offended at the thought though, after all fish eat fish all the time...lol

Seriously under no circumstances should you ever release an animal dead or alive:
- Into the sewage
- Down the toilet
- Into a lake, pond, Stream, aquifer...etc (only exception being your own pond.)
- The ocean
- Trash
- Land fill

Dead or alive fish we keep have been exposed to medications and bacteria that are slightly different than those found in the wild. And dead or alive they contain bacteria that are alive or dormant. This can have major adverse effects if released into the waterways.

This makes me laugh (although I do agree with the general pint)...where do our water changes go???

promise
07-26-2010, 12:42 PM
This makes me laugh (although I do agree with the general pint)...where do our water changes go???

mine goes in the yard on the plants, grass and the trees. the waste is great for the growth. if you have a wilting plant or tree throw some aqua water on it and it should perk up within 24 hours, provided heavy meds have not been used in the tank within 48 hours previous. my gran loved to do this and i naturally picked up the habit.

HomaridNoob6
07-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Well said Promise82, I use all my WC water on the backyard garden. I use the nastiest (vacuumed detritus) stuff on the roses and they produce huge blooms. But, as you mentioned if any medications are in the water, it's a no go. I would wait more than 48 hours depending on the meds.

The WC's where the water gets tossed down the drain because of meds or other contaminants, well I just have to hope our processing plants and my water filters take care of that stuff before it gets back to me and I drink the water, or before it contaminates rivers, lakes or the ocean. Otherwise, I guess I am (we are) screwed, and so are the fish. All in all, I'm pretty sure aquarium hobbyists' WC water is not a major problem for any environment compared to the other crud we dump everywhere.

~Col~
07-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Mine also go in the garden or pot plants.

Although I doubt it would worry me here if I flushed it as we are on an independent bio-septic system which waters our gardens anyway.

Gisela
07-27-2010, 03:27 PM
I also use my tankwater for my flowers, bushes, trees and my veggie garden (zucchini, squash for my pleco). So it comes to full circle.

Northernguy
07-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Winter causes a problem here with dumping it in my yard!lol
Nothing like the look of frozen tank water water mixed with pure white snow in your front yard.lol
I normally just dump all the water outside but in the frozen months I dump it in the toilet.
I am surprised the smell doesn't attract more bears this time of year.

Demjor19
07-27-2010, 10:28 PM
First - Draining my tanks down the drain/toilet concerns me in no way. I do use a small amount of my water on plants/gardens, but I change several hundred gallons a week, so all of it can't go to that cause. I also do not use meds. If I have a sick fish it gets treated with salt, adjusted water temps, and more frequent water changes.

Second - My only point was that it is no different flushing a fish (of flushable size) down the toilet versus putting used tank water down the drain (which a majority of us do fairly frequently). Either way...i believe the water treatement facilities more than take care of it on their end.

Gisela
07-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Sure you can flush a small fish down the toilet. I just could never do that out of respect for my fish. I just love them like pets, so I bury them.

Demjor19
07-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Sure you can flush a small fish down the toilet. I just could never do that out of respect for my fish. I just love them like pets, so I bury them.

Again....my overall point was overlooked. I'm only saying it would likely do no harm to the water system due to all the chemicals they use to treat our waste water.

I'm pretty sure we all love our fish...this is a fish keeping forum. :11:

HomaridNoob6
07-29-2010, 02:10 AM
Too true Demjor, I really doubt meds or any waste products from tanks we put down the drain cause problems. Just think of all the cleaning agents we use when wasing dishes, cleaning showers tubs and toilets etc. probably almost no one even thinks twice about that, so...

As for respecting my fish and not flushing them or anything, well when they're dead they're dead. I really don't care what people do with my body once I'm dead so I kinda look at it like that. Given the choice though, I'd like people to play old school mongolian polo with my head. I'm not trying to criticise, and it's fine if you want to respect your fishes body once they've passed, that's honorable in my opinion. I just had to throw in my feelings about the subject. I usually bury my fish because they are good fertilizer. Sure I get attached to them, but I'm attached to the personality of the live fish, corpses really don't have much sentimental value for me. I know that all sounds pretty heartless, but I prefer to think of it as realistic with a small bit of mentally abnormal on the side :)

promise
07-29-2010, 03:07 AM
I didn't mean to sound like i was questioning you dem, i completely agree with you, my wife throws bleach, cleaning products down the toilet and the sink all the time i do during the winter, im pretty sure that the meds and detritus that comes from our tanks is no worse than our own or the chemical products we use. water treatment plants use some horrendous chemicals to clean our water and it comes to us crystal clear with nothing nasty in it.
as for flushing a few fish or waste water, winter here in canada when its minus 20 and the snow is 2-3 feet deep the last thing you will find me doing is throwing water outside or digging a hole to bury the fish in, i get what your saying though and all i was saying was what i do with it during the summer months

Piscine
07-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Depends on the type of chemical. Some chemicals we use for our aquariums are the same we sometimes use for ourselves. Others are total poison to us. So your concern is justified. :ssmile: I personally just wouldn't do it due to emotional attachment.

Stress coat, and prime, and all other water conditioners I have come into contact with say (not for fish intended for human consumption.)