PDA

View Full Version : cherry shrimp dying! please help

speakerpedal
01-07-2010, 05:37 AM
hey guys, I've got or rather had 6 cherry shrimp in my 3 gal picotope aquarium and they've been whittled down to two. I've also had 2 amano shrimp living in there but they haven't been troubled at all. the temperature is around 75 degrees and the ph is a solid 7. So what's wrong? I'm feeding them fish flakes and freeze dried blood worms from the guppies I used to keep but they've been picking away at the plants as well as moss in there. What could it be that's causing them to die? or is it just their time. anyway thanks for the help!

Jacko
01-07-2010, 06:35 AM
How long have you had them and how long has the tank been setup? Water change schedule? Check the food container's list of stuff they put in it for copper, sometimes that can be the cause. I'd stop feeding the freeze dried bloodworms anyways, RCS are an algae eater, not a carnivore so they'd appreciate algae wafers alot more.

speakerpedal
01-07-2010, 08:12 AM
How long have you had them and how long has the tank been setup? Water change schedule? Check the food container's list of stuff they put in it for copper, sometimes that can be the cause. I'd stop feeding the freeze dried bloodworms anyways, RCS are an algae eater, not a carnivore so they'd appreciate algae wafers alot more.

I don't notice anything in the ingridents that meant they had copper. As far as tank set up it's been running a few months now. Water schedule I change about...20% of the water every week or so, I usually don't change much cause so much of the water evaporates and quite quickly since it's the kind without the hood. I think I'm gonna take my chances with those wafers. Thanks dude.

korith
01-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Checking the food you are feeding to make sure it doesn't contain copper, like copper said would be good. You really don't need to feed them much, a small piece of an algae wafer should be good for several days. In a tank that small I would be worried about overfeeding and possibly messing up the water quality. If you got plants and moss in there, you can probably get away without feeding them for long periods.

What kind of filtration do you have?

VoidParadigm
01-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Of course it is always possible that they are simply dying of old age. Fish at least, you can tell their age when you get them due to their size. Shrimp on the other hand, many stores 1) won't sell the young ones or 2) only ever have full-fledged adults in stock.

Next time you get Cherries I suggest going to a reputable breeder who can sell you an actual female with eggs. That's the best way to gaurantee you will still have shrimp left after the six month mark.

speakerpedal
01-10-2010, 02:18 AM
Of course it is always possible that they are simply dying of old age. Fish at least, you can tell their age when you get them due to their size. Shrimp on the other hand, many stores 1) won't sell the young ones or 2) only ever have full-fledged adults in stock.

Next time you get Cherries I suggest going to a reputable breeder who can sell you an actual female with eggs. That's the best way to gaurantee you will still have shrimp left after the six month mark.

I'll be sure to keep the breeder in mind, thanks for the advice!