PDA

View Full Version : 180g stocking

Miltonic
01-07-2010, 12:26 AM
In anticipation for my 180g, I decided to start getting an idea how im going to stock this reef, After looking around I realized that with this size tank so many more fish options open up, a lot of which that I thought I would never have!

my current 90g stocking will be transferred over which are
- Regal Tang
- Yellow coris wrasse
- Picasso clown
- Yellow watchman goby
currently being held by a friend
- Purple Tang
- Mckoskers flasher wrasse
(will be getting another picasso to pair up with my current one)

I not really sure how stocked I am with that or what more I could add but I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas. I also have some fish in mind like a group of Maldives lyretail Anthias, blue spot jawfish, I would love an angelfish of some kind but most aren't reef safe but maybe another tang?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-07-2010, 12:32 AM
If you do get another Tang you may have some trouble. You have 2 of the most belligerent tangs available in there right now, and that Purple is not likely going to take too kindly to another acanthurid. If you do decide to try it, you will have your best chance with a member of the Acanthurus genus or the Ctenochaetus genus.

As for a reef safe angel, if you have SPS corals then most Angels are going to be safe for you. The biggest issue you are going to have is with your Tridacnids. Lots of angels like to nip at those mantels. You may be able to get a member of the Genicanthus genus in there without a problem.

Adding anything at this point though may prove difficult with that Purple tang in there though.

Miltonic
01-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Thanks both tangs right now are pretty small the regal is about 3.5 inches and the purple is around 4 inches so I could get away with adding bigger fish than them. I will look into the Genicanthus genus and see which I like. Would a Naso tang cause a problem?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-07-2010, 01:56 AM
A Naso, IMO, is still to large for even a 180.

Miltonic
01-07-2010, 03:18 AM
Now that I think about and seen then in tank they do get pretty huge , I thiink i'll stick with the current tangs I have.

I looked in to the Angelfish and I like:

Bellus Angelfish Genicanthus bellus
Swallowtail Angelfish Genicanthus melanospilos
Zebra Angelfish Genicanthus caudovittatus
and Regal Angelfish Pygoplites diacanthus I know this is isn't Genicanthus but i've read a bit about it and its seems pretty reef safe but hard to take care off so if I brave enough and do my research I might get one since I really like it!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-07-2010, 03:52 AM
Pygoplites diacanthus is generally a good choice for a SPS dominated reef, however you still do not avoid the problem with the Tridacnid mantels. With 2 tridacnids in that tank, the chances of you running into trouble are pretty high. You would really be best to stick to the Genicanthus genus as they have the least likelihood of problems at all.

Miltonic
01-07-2010, 04:46 AM
SO hard to decided with all the choices but I think this is what my stocking will be like at some point

-Purple tang
-Regal tang
-Yellow coris wrasse
-Mckosker's Flasher wrasse
-Trio of Lyretail Anthias
-Pair of Picasso clowns
-Watchman Goby
-one last centerpiece big fish either Angel, tang, something else.

Sw addict what are some other interesting fish you would recommend looking into?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
How about a group of Cardinals like Bangaiis or Pajamas? They provide a nice option. You may also be able to get away with a Mandarin in there. A 180 with the proper amount of live rock should provide and ample supply of pods for one.

Miltonic
01-07-2010, 08:13 PM
ahh a Mandarin seems like a nice option, I forgot i wanted one a while ago but now with more room I should be able to keep one. I plan to have around 210lbs of live rock in there.

Miltonic
01-09-2010, 03:43 PM
i found another interesting fish I would like a Powder blue or Powder brown tang, right now im leaning towards the brown since I have to many fish with shades of blue already.

AABatteries
01-13-2010, 05:19 PM
One of those tangs would fit nicely in there. I would love to do a large school of chromis in a tank of this size, but that's just me.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Neither one of those Tangs would be a good addition at this point. While they may fit in the tank as far as size and bioload are concerned, they won't work with an established Regal Blue Tang. The combo of a Powder Blue and a Regal Blue is not a good combo at all, and Powder Browns are notoriously delicate and would be very stressed by the Regal Blue. If you really want something that looks similar in pattern then I suggest you look at the Whitecheek instead of the Powder Brown.

Miltonic
01-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I like the whitecheek tang since those are the colors I was looking for on a fish. btw I'd like to mention that none of this fish are in the 180g or established since I haven't sat this tank up yet and it won't be until after Jan 30th and most fish will be added at the same time so there won't be any territory disputes, most of my stocking has been decided except for that one big fish im looking for...

AABatteries
01-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Add the regal last, and wait as long as possible to do it, if that is possible. Also, do it with the lights off, and when its dark. I've heard that helps with adding a bunch of fish or adding to an exists tank.

UnknownFish
03-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Have you thought about an achiles tang, I just recently purchased an achiles and I already have a purple and a hippo tang, the achiles and purple fought for a day or so and now they both swim around together, both the purple and achiles are beautiful fish that dont get extremely huge, but they both do have attitude problems.