PDA

View Full Version : Hardy / Tough, Readily Available Medium Pleco?

Deleted User
01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Is there some kind of tough, readily available pleco that could co-exist in a 55g tank with a single, short body (note not full size) flowerhorn?

I'd like something we could plan on having that would keep algae down, but not turn into a meal for the flowerhorn. And also something that will not outgrow the tank.

Figured the folks here would have some good insight into what possibilities there might be.

Thanks!

jay2487
01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
I don't know how powerful a flowerhorn is but my common plecos which are about 4 to 5 inches now have both been bitten several times by my largest turtles. Most of the time right in the face and have never even had a scratch or lost a noticeable scale. They just flutter a little and swim away. Never one injury between the both of them and I would imagine they've been bitten over 50 times that I've seen. My LFS has them ranging in size from 2 inches to over a foot.

Northernguy
01-06-2010, 06:43 PM
I have had an oscar kill a 14" common before!He just kept ramming it into the glass or whatever the pleco was on.
Its up to the flowerhorn as to wether or not the pleco will be allowed to stay!
It may be alright.The only wat to find out would be to get one and try it.
Try and find a pleco that was donated to the store.They are usually a good size to start with.A common 6" or better might work.

Red
01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Bristlenose all the way. Commons get to big for a 55gal.

aspects
01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Rather than buying another fish (that will likely be killed) to control your algae issue, you should address the problem t its source. Besides the immediate threat of the flowerhorn, you also need to account for the high bio-load addition, and the fact that plecos need more than just algae to thrive.
If you want a pleco because you like them, that's one thing, but buying a pleco to control algae is a bad idea and poor practice.

Algae can be caused by a few things, but the main things you need to address are your lighting and feeding schedule. Reduce your tank light by a couple of hours a day and don't overfees, and you should not have algae. If you already have algae, a simple blackout period is a simple solution, and proper maintenence will keep it at bay. No need to subject a poor pleco to the stress of such an aggressive tank mate.

Albino sailfins tent do be semi aggressive (as far as plecos go) and can usually hold their own. I have kept sailfins with guapotes in he P past without problems.

Deleted User
01-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the input, folks. Not sure what we'll do. I don't want to get something that will be killed. And, yes, I do like plecos... We really have hardly any algae in the tank thus far and it gets very little sunlight. It's a new tank, though. Projecting ahead and wondering if any plecos might be a good option.