PDA

View Full Version : Jenn's 100G Planted

Pages : 1 [2]

MCHRKiller
05-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks all! I hope I see some good growth rates on thse plants the tank is a bit bare looking. :hmm3grin2orange:

MCHRKiller
05-17-2011, 08:36 AM
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0250-1.jpg

I added 2 monster A.barteri "broad leaf", and 2 good sized A.barteri "nana". I also added a patch of Blyxa japonica up front. I have on order 1 dwarf lily, 1 Apon. crispus and 3 C. spiralis. Which will finish up my plant list, now for fish I do sadly plan to add quite a few more :14: I have ordered 4 angelfish from the same breeder my gold marble came from...2 black clowns and 2 black ghost. Will grow them out and pick the best 1-2 from the lot and add to the tank. I also have that pitiful group of shoalers still in QT from livefishdirect.com, they are doing much better.

I also picked up an amazing deal on RootMedic ferts, I got:
2L-Micro and 2L-Macro-Refills
500ml Micro and 500ml Macro
25 Root Capsules...for $68 shipped. Normally this much fertilizer would cost nearly $200...so I can say I am quite pleased with my order thanks to a massive sale on their site and a 40% off coupon code.

Here are some fish photos while Im at it;
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0281-2.jpg
Bad pic of my old Powder Blue
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0277-2.jpg
One of my fatass Rosies.

rich311k
05-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Beautiful tank and fish!

Cliff
05-17-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm always impressed with your tanks thumbs2:

Great Job

Thanks for posting pics :22:

AmyLynn
05-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Tank is looking fantastic. Thanks for more great inspiration. thumbs2:

bemgelado
05-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Your tank is so gorgeous! I love looking at your photos.

MCHRKiller
05-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone :22:

MCHRKiller
06-08-2011, 01:59 AM
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0416.jpg

Growth has been excellent, I remove 2-3 leaves per week from each sword...slowly getting rid of all that old growth. I also remove 3-4 leaves per week from the Apon. My Angelfish destroyed the Blyxa...it will be replaced by either some E.tennellius or some C.parva.

I am also still on my initial 20oz bottle of CO2...a month and going strong. I do believe the reactor has alot to do with it. I am only dosing 1-2BPS and if I inject more it goes straight up to yellow. I was afraid the paintball system on a tank this size would be a pain(although less of one than Excel) it has been pretty much a set it and forget it thing.

Spidyman
06-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Your tank is beautiful. I love the look and wish I will have a tank that cool sometime.(mine are not planted)

AmyLynn
06-08-2011, 02:16 AM
Gorgeous! thumbs2:

Goes to 11!
06-08-2011, 02:20 AM
My reply [as usual] when you post new pics of your tanks -----> :18: :18: :18: thumbs2:

Taurus
06-08-2011, 03:34 PM
:18: :18: :18: thumbs2: ^ 2. Simply gorgeous Jenn!

JCheco
06-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Jenn you continue to amaze each time you update looks great wish I could make me as stunning as you do yours.thumbs2: thumbs2:

mermaidwannabe
06-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Awesome! It sure is obvious when someone puts a lot of dedicated work into their tank. Your fish looked quite spoiled to me (in a nice way -- as in pampered, not rotting LOL!) Bet they're all happy campers in that tank....

-- mermaidwannabe

MCHRKiller
06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the very kind comments everyone! This tank is selling me every day on how valuable pressurized CO2 is in planted tanks. The fish are spoiled, I need to post a video of the fish soon as those guys from LiveFishDirect.com are now in the tank. The barbs are tiny compared to my cow sized Rosys but they are now up to the proper weight and I cant tell the new Brilliant Rasbora from the old ones. I also bought 4 new Angelfish....2 Clowns and 2 Black Ghost. I will be adding the nicest one of each type to the 100G probably in a few more weeks. I dont want to add them until they hit 50cent piece sized.

I also need to find a drop checker worth beans....or atleast a suction cup worth anything.

MCHRKiller
06-15-2011, 02:46 AM
I ran out of CO2 today, I will say I am quite pleased with the amount it is using. A 20oz bottle lasted me from 5-9-11 to 6-14-11...so 5 full weeks of use for a $4 fill up. If I had dosed Excel daily I would have easily gone through a 500ml bottle if not more and been out twice the money and MUCH more work. :22:

MCHRKiller
07-11-2011, 05:42 PM
While I was away the tank became an overgrown mess so I trimmed the tank last week and removed a small waste basket full of leaves. I also finally got off my arse today and ordered some foreground plants for the left side. I have 3 pots of Narrowleaf Chain Sword coming so hopefully the Angelfish wont eat those.

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0234-1.jpg

And one of my DD marble(notice that awesome scratch and algae on the front glass)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0240.jpg

chrisfraser05
07-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Wow, your tanks looking amazing!

You ever get any hassle with the angels and other fish?

You've put me to shame, going to have to trim mine in a couple of days!

MCHRKiller
07-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks!

Nah the Angelfish keep to themselves, granted all of my other fish in the tank are decent size as well. I only have Brilliant Rasbora, Rosy Barbs, Boesemani Rainbows, Flying Fox, Corydoras, BN Plecos, and Lizard Cats with them. I do plan to add 2 more Angels I have been growing out sometime this week.

Lab_Rat
07-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Looking great Jenn! The amount of growth is amazing! I've yet to set up the pressurized system, I may have to try though. Wish I could grow java fern like you do.

MCHRKiller
07-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Once you go pressurized you dont go back, I have been contemplating ditching the DIY on my office tank due to just how easy keeping this tank up is. I dont dose nearly as often as I used to, I only dose 2X per week now and things are growing at a crazy rate.

ldoerr
07-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Amazing tank!!!!!!! I cant believe I just read this whole thread. Amazing job.

MCHRKiller
07-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Im glad my thread was at least entertaining to warrent your reading 28 pages :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks!

ldoerr
07-13-2011, 12:22 AM
It is really good and amazing pictures. I wish that I could take half way decent pictures of my tank or fish. They all come out horrible.

MCHRKiller
07-13-2011, 02:36 AM
What camera are you using? Normally if you do nothing more than turn the flash off and hold the camera really still your pics will come out decent. :22:

ldoerr
07-13-2011, 03:40 AM
It is just a VERY basic digital camera. I got it because it was pink. I think that it is from Walmart or Target. I mostly use it to take picks of my baby bunnies when they are growing up until I sell them at 8 weeks. (I stopped breeding about 3 months ago and got rid of my herd.) I haven't taken any picks in quite some time and aquariums are a pain to get decent picks of. You do beautiful work with your tanks though.

MCHRKiller
07-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Thank you! I find P&S cameras difficult to use these days...I have used a DSLR for so long all the settings for everything is far too complex for me to understand :hmm3grin2orange:

I swapped out CO2 bottles today, this one ran from 6-14 until 7-16. It wasnt 100% empty I still had about 250psi left in it...but I have done some reading about how if you let a paintball cylinder run completely empty it can mess up the cylinder's pin. The previous bottle ran completely out of gas and the paintball shop could not get it to hold air. I probably could have gotten a couple more days out of it but Id rather go ahead and refill than have to replace another cylinder.

I also received my plants for the foreground...I have them in the 10G at work for a few days so the assassins can pluck off any snails. I will be adding them to this tank tomorrow and hopefully get a video and some new pics up. I also have a nice glass drop checker in there instead of the old crappy red sea plastic one. :22:

MCHRKiller
07-23-2011, 03:56 PM
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0363-2.jpg
Pygmy Chain Swords, New Drop Checker, New Angels and another Internal filter on the left end are in the tank now. I was needing some circulation in the front left and had contemplated a Koralia but I thought it would be easier to hide an internal filter. You can see the size difference between the 50cent piece juvie angels and the 2 big guys, I do hope the new angels get as large as the older ones.
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0364.jpg
Black Ghost
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0372-1.jpg
Black Clown

MCHRKiller
08-23-2011, 02:14 AM
Growth has been insane...the swords have multiple baby/bloom shoots. I have to remove atleast 6-8 leaves from each amazon per week, 8-10 leaves from the crispus and then top back vals and trim up the crypts each week to just keep them confined to their areas.

I am now having some issues with light getting to the floor of the tank, most likely due to how large all the plants are getting. So I have opted to go with 4x54watt HOT5 to replace the PCs. I will most likely be doing 2x108watt fixtures due to the width of the tank instead of 1 216watt fixture. I will probably just go with Odyssea and dump the stock bulbs for some Giesemann bulbs. I am thinking at this point 2 Midday, 1 Aqua Flora and another Midday to be the configuration. The young angels are much larger, I have hopes they will be monsters like the other 2 angels in the tank. Pics to come later this week :22:

Dave66
08-23-2011, 04:53 AM
That's the rub; when aquatic plants have sufficient light and nutrients, if you don't trim every week your tank turns into a jungle with little room for fishes to swim.

Dave

MCHRKiller
08-23-2011, 05:26 AM
:hmm3grin2orange: It does require a weekly trim if not more, I did a really heavy trim and skipped a week and it was a nightmare this week. I pulled literally a wastebasket of leaves out and still need to thin out the fern. The crypt on the right side has grown into an interesting specimine it has a lovely pattern on its leaves. No idea specifically what it is...I got it as a generic brown wendtii.

mermaidwannabe
08-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I love the dramatic play of light and shadow areas in your tank. If I were small enough to fit, I would be snorkeling around in there, fascinated in exploration and discovery! Love the dramatic colors on your angels. They remind me of ladies wearing black lace. Out of curiosity and for my education, what is a drop checker? And is it relevant only in a live planted tank?

-- mermaid

Fisharefriends27
08-23-2011, 02:46 PM
http://www.aquariumslife.com/aquascaping/fertilizers-and-co2/drop-checke/
It's to check co2. I need to order mine still, I'm way overdue.

I wish I had an angel that big.

MCHRKiller
08-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Angels which have a mix of wild genetics tossed in have vastly improved size over straight domestic fish. The juvies I have are as large as most grown domestic fish out there, which is sad as angels used to be very common in the 10-12" tall range. Now your lucky to see a LFS angelfish hit 6" tall.

But yeah as indicated a drop checker is simply used to measure CO2 concentration. It is a fairly simple thing which just responds by using glorified pH regent mixed with 4dKH regent inside the drop checker. You will get blue if your CO2 is low, yellow if it is high and green is where you should be. It is not a 100% accurate measure since there are many shades of green out there but most of us aim for something around emerald green.

Fisharefriends27
08-24-2011, 02:53 AM
At an aquarium I went to they had a set up with a pair of angelfish(breeding pair) that were massive. They were just huge. My angel is probably 3-5" tall I have no clue I think she may be 4" tall. Anyway they also had about a 3 ft red tailed cat and also a pacu that was probably 2 feet. I want one lol:hmm3grin2orange:

MCHRKiller
08-24-2011, 03:07 AM
At full spread my 2 adults are about 9" tall, the juvies are about 4" or so tall. If the 2 juvies get as large as their cousins I will be needing a larger tank :hmm3grin2orange:

RTC and Pacu are incredible fish, I can def. understand the desire to own one. Id love to be able to house a grown RTC.

Taurus
08-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Angels which have a mix of wild genetics tossed in have vastly improved size over straight domestic fish. The juvies I have are as large as most grown domestic fish out there, which is sad as angels used to be very common in the 10-12" tall range. Now your lucky to see a LFS angelfish hit 6" tall.

My domestic angel is very close to 6" tall tip to tip, and I figured he's fully grown. What he lacks in heighth he makes up for in personality.

It's a good thing all the way around because he's in a 29 gallon tank.

MCHRKiller
08-24-2011, 09:00 PM
It isnt necessarily a bad thing, and in many cases probably a good thing as more people can keep angels than could if they were the foot tall beasts they once were.

MCHRKiller
08-25-2011, 01:52 AM
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0424.jpg
Not a considerable amount of change, the tank has filled in to its max so now it is just about maintaining healthy growth. The pymgy chain swords did not work out due to the amazons shading them...they wound up in the trash. I hope to upgrade this to a 5ftx2ftx2ft tank sometime in the not so distant future.
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0445.jpg
young black ghost
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0427.jpg
my favorite crypt
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0461-1.jpg
havent posted pics of this old guy in quite some time

MCHRKiller
08-31-2011, 01:54 AM
Its not looking good today, I may have gassed my fish...I put a new bottle on the regulator this morning before heading off to work. Nothing out of the ordinary except I must have accidently turned the needle valve...I came home and the drop checker was almost clear. I have 2 airpumps going on the tank and the regulator is unplugged.

Some of the fish are having buoyancy issues and they are all near the surface. Fingers crossed that most make it....

KingFisher
08-31-2011, 02:09 AM
Sorry to hear about your fish. Hopefully they will all recover. :scry:

Taurus
08-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Fingers crossed that most make it....

Fingers crossed.

MCHRKiller
08-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the well wishes :)

I wound up doing a 50% WC last night and got the oxygen levels back up into the green. The fish were much improved when I went to bed...two of the Boes were still at the surface and one was having some mild yet improved buoyancy problems. I will see when I get home if there were any losses :11:

It is amusing when people say paintball setups are inefficient for large tanks when my needle valve gets turned maybe 1/8 of a full rotation and 6hours later the fish are struggling for oxygen.

KingFisher
08-31-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm glad the fish are doing better.

I agree about the paintball setup. I've been running one on my 90g for a couple years now and I barely have the needle valve cracked to get the co2 to the proper level. I'm sure it would work well for an even larger tank.

mermaidwannabe
08-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Bordering on awesome! When you get it more fully developed, it will cross over into big-time awesome! Your tanks are always wonderful to look at.

-- mermaidwannabe

MCHRKiller
08-31-2011, 09:12 PM
I think once I get my new fixture going there will be scape improvement. The 260watt PC just isnt cutting it anymore.

I am happy to report that there are no losses in the tank, and all of the fish are back to normal...suffering no damages from their oxygen deprivation. I am confident that the waterchange is what saved them :11:

mermaidwannabe
08-31-2011, 11:35 PM
I think 99.9% of the time, changing the water helps rectify problems, if it doesn't completely solve them. Sometimes it takes more, or something else, but usually a good WC will save the day.

-- mermaid

Dave66
09-01-2011, 09:46 AM
What I do, Jenn, is run air stones via timers at night, to drive off any remaining excess Co2, plus that generated by the fishes and the plants. Prevents many ills and enhances stability.

Dave

MCHRKiller
09-01-2011, 11:58 AM
I do that a night as well, sadly this happened during the day. I have the needle valve marked now so I know if it gets accidently turned installing a new bottle. I dont want to come home to gasping fish again :11:

MCHRKiller
09-24-2011, 03:23 AM
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0342-1.jpg
I have dubbed the tank, the manic forest

JCheco
09-25-2011, 10:17 PM
that looks amazing and a pretty appropriate name

Taurus
09-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Jenn, you have the gift of creating very beautiful tanks. Incredible! thumbs2:

MCHRKiller
09-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Thanks you two! I am contemplating what to do with the mid-back left end, those 3 swords there are getting massive, I am contemplating cutting it back down to 1 and some Vals....

DylanisHawttt
09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I am contemplating what to do with the mid-back left end, those 3 swords there are getting massive, I am contemplating cutting it back down to 1 and some Vals....

Maybe someone on the forum would buy them off you if you did? My 10g is too small for that beast of an Amazon Sword you have there :scry:

AmyLynn
10-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Your forest is looking fantastic. thumbs2: Can you remind me what the orange/red fish are that I see in that last pic?

MCHRKiller
10-20-2011, 12:33 AM
I gave one of the amazons to the SO....I also removed 75% of the leaves on the remaining two...and took all of the baby runners off them. The fish can move again :hmm3grin2orange:

My Klenier Bar Sword has a baby runner now...I may replace those amazons with its offspring in the future. By far my fav sword species...they also seem to top out around 2ft tall which keeps them houseable.

The red fish are simple Rosy Barbs :11:

AmyLynn
10-20-2011, 02:25 AM
The BO wants some sort of a red fish (his fav color) for the tank. I've been looking at some options. Those are definitely on the list. Not excited about the platies he was eyeballing the other day. LOL

MCHRKiller
10-20-2011, 03:37 AM
I highly recommend them, they also peck at algae most of the day and leave the plants alone. No pestering breeding nonstop and are safe for even long fin fish like Angels. They also get large enough to be more than just a filler type fish.

AmyLynn
10-20-2011, 06:43 PM
I think they've just moved up to the top of the list. thumbs2: Assuming I can find them out here. LOL

MCHRKiller
10-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Petsmart normally has them if all else fails. They look nothing like this in shops, normally they are a grey/gold color but turn red as they age and have access to a good diet. Also only the male Rosy barbs are red...females are more of a gold/copper color.

AmyLynn
10-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Hmmm....hopefully I have enough choices around here to avoid Petsmart. Love them for my cat food and dog food. Not so much for fish stuff anymore.

ldoerr
10-21-2011, 06:51 PM
I get all of my fish from Petsmart, even though the closest one is ~1.5hrs away. It is the only decent place to get fish. They also have the best prices. Can you post some new pics?

MCHRKiller
10-21-2011, 08:11 PM
I will get some new pics in a week or so, letting the tank recover some from its massive trim.

Rue
10-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Yup...looking forward to new pics too...

Your tank looks like what my 75g fantasy tank looks like...:1luvu:

MCHRKiller
10-21-2011, 09:26 PM
There is also the possibility that this tank may be upgraded within the next year as well. I may have to relocate due to some family issues, and if that happens I will be looking into a tank which is acrylic and 60"x24"x24". So I am not putting more effort into the current scape other than maintaining it.

I may take some pics the first of the week so you can see it in its less photo worthy form :hmm3grin2orange:

Taurus
10-21-2011, 09:34 PM
I will be looking into a tank which is acrylic and 60"x24"x24".

Acrylic!? Really...guess it makes sense for a tank that size. :sconfused:

MCHRKiller
11-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Yep, I plan to switch all of my tanks over to cell cast acrylic as time and funds allow for it. My glass tanks are now nearing in on 9-10 years old and they are scratched up pretty good. Also as I may be pending a move next spring moving 5/8" plate glass tanks just isnt going to work out well IMO.

But anyway, the belated update photo....
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0799.jpg

dladyd052
11-13-2011, 04:33 AM
OMG i love that tank. very nicely done

MCHRKiller
11-14-2011, 04:03 AM
Thanks! :11:

AmyLynn
11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Looking great as usual!

Ellen4God
11-15-2011, 02:57 AM
Oh my!!! My jaw is still on the floor. I LOVE your tank!!! It looks EXCELLENT!!!

Soooo....mind if I PM you a million times asking for advice for scaping my 30g bowfront when I'm ready? :14:

MCHRKiller
11-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the nice comments :11:

I never mind PMs but I am by far no expert on scaping, I just do what I think will look nice...the results are atleast fine for me. I will be honest, needle leaf fern is an amazing tool for scaping you just cant go wrong with it.

Ellen4God
11-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the nice comments :11:

I never mind PMs but I am by far no expert on scaping, I just do what I think will look nice...the results are atleast fine for me. I will be honest, needle leaf fern is an amazing tool for scaping you just cant go wrong with it.

I'll have to remember needle leaf ferns. ...Or just ask you later! :) Thanks!

Fishin Phil
01-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow! I just went through all 33 pages of this journal. Jenn, your tank is very inspirational. Thanks for sharing it!

MCHRKiller
01-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks! It has been a super long time since I updated things thing...I will have to get on that...

AmyLynn
01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Yes yes... you really should. LOL

MCHRKiller
01-11-2012, 08:20 PM
lol, things have been crazy right now. I have my regular job at the highschool, am doing some adjunct work at the community college on the weekend, and now I have been crazy/stupid enough to joint a small private counseling practice in town and do some individual sessions during the week after work :hmm3grin2orange:

Sadly it isn't leaving much room for fun, however I will be debt free before committing to buying/renting a house later this year. If I do a rental I think that 90G setups will work best in terms of gallons vs space the tank takes up. So this tank will be dumped into a 90G...which wont change it much since this tank is only a little wider than a standard 90 anyway. Since I have been busy I have turned the CO2 off and scaled down my ferts..plants are kind of maintaining, not really growing that much and not suffering.

AmyLynn
01-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Kinda figured you'd been busy. Hadn't noticed you posting much. It'll be nice to be debt free before you move. I know I couldn't be where I am without being debt free.

vivekcis
01-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Very nice Jenn it looks very beautiful i want to see it live.......thumbs2: thumbs2:

ldoerr
01-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Very nice Jenn it looks very beautiful i want to see it live.......thumbs2: thumbs2:

You are not the only one. I want to go to someones fish room some time and see all their tanks and dream about getting my own set up like theirs. It would be so cool.