PDA

View Full Version : Identify these goldfish.

dlaube
01-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Well I feel like such a novice here, because I've never really kept any goldfish or koi before. I was told that one was a some type of koi and the other was a gold fish. But it was by an older couple who I really doubt had any real idea of what they were talking about. I'm not convinced that these are two different types of fish here.

http://img51.imageshack.us/i/065tt.jpg/
http://img706.imageshack.us/i/068kw.jpg/
http://img94.imageshack.us/i/069rm.jpg/

these photos don't do any justice for how long and flowing their tails and fins really are. I was originally planning on setting up a cichlid tank, but I fell in love with these guys after I put them in the tank because my LFS wouldn't take them.

Also I would like to know what kind of fish might be compatible tank mates. I keep the water a steady 75 degrees, for the longest time these gold fish were kept in 80ish degrees...and according to everything I've read about gold fish, it wouldn't really matter what the temperature was anyways...

I know that generally, anything that can fit in their mouth will most likely eventually end up there, but once I get rid of the humongous pleco, the front of the tank will have plenty of low rock caves for anything that needs hiding, and the back of the tank will be lined with tall fake plants.
The majority of the tank will actually be open space for those big guys.

I really would like to have a variety of fish in there, and am fascinated of the idea of having these 2 big 'center pieces' along with plenty of color and variety all around them, but I plan on doing everything only for the best interest of the fish. If there is something not right here, I would be much obliged to fix it. Even if it means getting rid of these fish all together.

annageckos
01-05-2010, 02:38 PM
They are all common goldfish or comets. A long fin variety. How big are they? Goldfish need a very large tank or better a pond. A tank should be at least 18 inches wide so the fish can easily turn around. Comets can get upto a foot long and are messy fish. You will need a lot of filtration and do weekly or twice weekly water changes of about 40-50%. Is your tank cycled? What size is the tank they are in?

Northernguy
01-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Here is some info on Goldfish that you may be interrested in.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=32662

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=23740

Scrup
01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I second the comet. The one with black will probably eventually lose it all and be solid orange.

Dojo loaches work fairly well with goldfish, and they can both tolerate cooler water. That is the big thing you will want to focus on when selecting tankmates. Trapdoor snails also work well if you are into inverts.

Anything they can eat, they will eat. Hiding spaces are not going to matter.

You will need excessive filtration for them. They are poop monsters.

dlaube
01-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I believe that both of those are comet gold fish, they are in a standard 55 gallon tank. Yes the tank is cycled. I am running 2 stock filters for 55 gallon tanks, and a power head with a sponge on the end of it. Both the fish now are about 10 inches from head to tail with their tail fin being about 4-5 inches. At the moment they dont seem to have any trouble at all moving. They stay close to each other and swim both ends of the tank with out running into anything. Occassionally they like to swim into the powerhead current and take a face full of bubbles.

Im not concerned too much with their waste, as I replace a few gallons every day, and lightly rinse the filter media (along with larger water changes once every week). If I needed I could add more power heads with sponges to give more physical filtration.

annageckos
01-05-2010, 04:10 PM
You need a bigger tank. A standard 55 is only 12 iches wide. Even thou it may look like they have room they are cramped in that small of a tank. I won't add anything else to that tank. Stock tanks and even kiddie pools work well for a pond and can be kept easily inside.

smaug
01-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Ive had comets for years they are not carnivores ime.You have some very pretty fish there and I echo the beliefs of the other members about there tank needs.

dlaube
01-05-2010, 11:04 PM
The comets are gone now. :(

But its for the best. Now I can start setting up for cichlids :)

smaug
01-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Dead or rehomed?

dlaube
01-05-2010, 11:08 PM
rehomed to a 75, eventually 90.

the 75 is virtually the same demsion as the 55, except more distance from front to back

Scrup
01-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Ive had comets for years they are not carnivores ime.You have some very pretty fish there and I echo the beliefs of the other members about there tank needs.

true but they will eat neon tetra sized fish if/when they fit into their mouths.

Glad you got them rehomed!

smaug
01-05-2010, 11:16 PM
rehomed to a 75, eventually 90.

the 75 is virtually the same demsion as the 55, except more distance from front to back
Thats good news.Good decision.thumbs2: