PDA

View Full Version : Problem with bettas dying along with a cardinal tetra

AdrienDeLaChicago
01-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Okay, wondering if any of you can offer me some input.

This is the second time that this has happened where my betta has died and I find a cardinal tetra dead along with him. I've noticed that in both instances that the dead cardinal has a white spot on him. Not sure if the betta bit my cardinal tetra in this area and it was poisonous to my betta? Does anyone know about any of this?

I don't believe the white spot on the tetra is ick as none of the other fish are afflicted and all the other ones are alive and well.

This has happened twice in the same tank. It's frustrating. I watch the betta and he doesn't even seem to pay any attention to the tetras. Had I seen signs of aggression toward the tetras I would have separated them immediately. I'm not even sure the betta bit into the tetra.

However it is curious that I lose one tetra and the betta at roughly the same time.

Any advice, feedback please?

Thank you.

little hawaii
01-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Okay, wondering if any of you can offer me some input.

This is the second time that this has happened where my betta has died and I find a cardinal tetra dead along with him. I've noticed that in both instances that the dead cardinal has a white spot on him. Not sure if the betta bit my cardinal tetra in this area and it was poisonous to my betta? Does anyone know about any of this?

I don't believe the white spot on the tetra is ick as none of the other fish are afflicted and all the other ones are alive and well.

This has happened twice in the same tank. It's frustrating. I watch the betta and he doesn't even seem to pay any attention to the tetras. Had I seen signs of aggression toward the tetras I would have separated them immediately. I'm not even sure the betta bit into the tetra.

However it is curious that I lose one tetra and the betta at roughly the same time.

Any advice, feedback please?

Thank you.

It is surtanly possible for the betta to haras your cardinals, they can be contankerous. I was wondering if you just bought the cardinals and if the ps. has a ultraviolet sterilizer. I have lost every cardinal that has come out of a big box store. It weekens their imune systems and cards are pretty touchy about disease if they get stressed out. Where there any white areas on the betta?:22: :goldfish: :goldfish:

AdrienDeLaChicago
01-05-2010, 10:06 AM
There are no white spots on the betta. His fins are just all disintegrated.

I just bought 5 of the cardinals but there were already an existing 4 for a total of 9. The 4 existing cardinals seemed fine.

Northernguy
01-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Are you doing you tank maintenance?
Is the tank cycled?
Have you tested it lately?Can you please post the readings!

annageckos
01-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Cardinals are not poisonous, nor any other common community fish. Ich looks like little white spots. Just because the other fish do not show it doesn't mean it is not there. Healthy fish can fight it off, it is stressed fish that can't. What size tank is this? Did you cycle it? How long has it been set up? What are your parameters? How often do you do water changes and how much water do you take out? We need the answers to these questions to help you out.

AdrienDeLaChicago
01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Okay, well I don't test the water. But I have three tanks total and this one is the only one that gives me problems.

It's a 10 gallon Tetra Half Moon tank. I change about 40 to 50% of the water every two weeks. The water is SUPER clear. I will go and have some of it tested today.

The thing is, I have another 10 gallon tank with two dwarf African frogs, a Dalmatian platy and a crown tail betta. Never had a problem in that one.

The other tank is 37 gallons and I have a host of fish in that one and never had a problem.

I will tank a water sample to he fish store and see what's going on.

It seems to be related to the cardinal tetras.

CGY_Betta_Guy
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
What time frame are we talking about here? You say this is the second time it has happened but not over what period of time. A week or 2? a few days?... are the betta and the cardinals new in both cases and how long have you had them? Also is this the same betta that you just mentioned in another thread that has the fins rotting away or a separate problem?

From the way you describe, it sounds like you just added an additional 5 cardinals recently and these are the ones that are dying? Most likely they were carrying something (parasite or bacterial problems) when you introduced them into your tank and its taking out your betta as well. When the card died the other fish likely pick at the body causing a white spot or patch which might be what you are seeing. And it might be possible that even though the betta are a pretty tough fish in most cases, it might have picked up the bug from doing that to the dead body and succumbed quickly to whatever it is. This is all conjecture of course and assumes that your water parameters are good.

I have a quarantine tank set up for new fish and my last set of 5 cardinals bloomed a huge case of ich about a week after I got them home so I am definitely glad I didnt just put them in with my existing community.