PDA

View Full Version : Won't eat

llonka
01-05-2010, 02:19 AM
Hello!! I've had Squiggy for about a week now. when i first got him he was swimming around and telling me hello. (while he was in the tiny cup) then i scooped him up with my hand to put him the tank (didnt have a net at the time) and he swam around for a while but the last couple of days he doesn't really do anything and he won't eat. i dont think i have ever seen him eat. maybe the second day i had him did. could it be because i scooped him with my hand. he acts like he doesnt see the food. but when i but my finger over to his tank he darts away from me. help!:helpsign:

guess i should add i just changed the water in his bowl cuz it was yucky from all the uneaten food and put some aquarium salt in it because he has split tail. oh and he has been making bubble nests.

rich311k
01-05-2010, 02:23 AM
What are you feeding him? Try something else. They love frozen brine shrimp or blood worms.

annageckos
01-05-2010, 02:31 AM
What size bowl is he in, how many gallons? Is it heated? Filtered? Bettas are tropical fish and need a heated tank. I recommend a 5.5 gallon tank at the smallest. What are you feeding him?

Oscar_freak12321
01-05-2010, 02:37 AM
This IS a betta, correct? Just making sure.

llonka
01-05-2010, 02:42 AM
Yes, he is a betta. he's in a 1 gallon tank with a heater. it's not filtered but i clean it at least once a week if not more. i usually feed him BettaMin flakes but tonight i tried some betta food pellets from Wardley. i've had bettas before but none have ever done this :(

Oscar_freak12321
01-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Is there a filter on the tank?

Wild Turkey
01-05-2010, 02:50 AM
I personally would start by rehousing it in a 2.5g+ thats filtered, and preferably heated to around 80F. You will have to cycle the tank but if you have access to other estalbished tanks with filters you can steal some of the media and add it to your own filter to greatly speed up the process. By the time the tank is established, Im willing to be this problem works itself out. That is to say not eating isnt a problem as much as a sign of a problem imo. The fish is telling you "the ammonia is rising so im stressed out".

Once a week wc's are for average size tanks that are cycled with a filter. Some people (i dont recommend it) keep bettas without filters, but we are talking more like 1 wc per day on a tank 3X that size at least.

Levi
01-05-2010, 02:52 AM
1 gallon? :scry:

get him a 5g

llonka
01-05-2010, 03:03 AM
ok i'll talk to hubby. maybe he can get two 2.5 gallon tanks. think he's just depressed??

thrakuarium
01-05-2010, 05:22 PM
The tank size is smaller than we all would like to see him in but, IMO, it has nothing to do with the eating difficulty. You may want to check with the shop you got him from to find out what they fed. As far as the split tail is concerned, I would recommend Bettafix over aquarium salt to help repair his finnage. If you can find some live flightless fruit flies, those would be VERY tempting to the betta. First and foremost though, an unfiltered tank must have very clean water, and do get a net or just cup him out instead of using your hand.

llonka
01-06-2010, 03:37 AM
well i feel terrible. came home tonight and found him passed away.:scry: