PDA

View Full Version : Filter questions

hursab
01-05-2010, 01:39 AM
I am currently building a waterfall/steam to a pond at my parents house.

(Also moved 2.5 tons of rock to the back yard for the plater today)

I was wondering about ideas for easy access filters.

The current plan is to burry a 45 gallon tupper and cut a bit out of it to allow skimming of the surface. There is a basket inside, right under the over flow to catch leaves, that should be fairly easy to access weekly.
There will be lots of filter media and a thick sponge divider, where on the other side, the pump will be kept.

As it stands in order to access the pump you will need to dig up the tupper and pull its lid off. (Also to throughly clean the filter system)

Does anyone have any cool tricks for easier access? Space is fairly limited.

Thanks all

Pictures soon tomorrow we are placing boulders

smaug
01-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Whats a tupper?http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/review/showcat.php?cat=500&ppuser=10327 check out these pond products.When using a skimmer the pump is usually in the bottom of it and can easily be cleaned and maintained.Reconsider any item you cant get to on a daily basis,you will seriously regret it.

hursab
01-05-2010, 01:49 AM
You know those purple and blue plastic boxes.

Daily you say? I suppose if something goes wrong?

hursab
01-05-2010, 01:54 AM
kind of like this. 45 gallon capacity

https://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/product_info/pfam_id/PFAM5474/products_id/PRO14372

smaug
01-05-2010, 02:51 AM
If you have trees close by and leaves falling in.In the fall you must normally clear the skimmer of leaves once a day.How big a pond will this be?

hursab
01-05-2010, 04:47 AM
The leave collecting basket will easily come out every day.

It will be very small 2'x5' and shallow to about 4 feet deep
45 gallon sump and 4 foot stream

Scrup
01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
You could glue a bunch of rock on top of the lid, that way you just pop it off, but it will still look decent. Just gotta make sure no one steps on it.

hursab
01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
You could glue a bunch of rock on top of the lid, that way you just pop it off, but it will still look decent. Just gotta make sure no one steps on it.

Yeah that is the biggest issue making sure people do not step on it.

I think we have it placed good enough so it wont happen.

I wonder if I could get a styrofoam rock at home depot, that would be cool.

Thanks all

Scrup
01-07-2010, 03:57 PM
probably not, you could always make styrofoam rocks. Could always just put a peice of plywood over it, then put the rocks on top, so if it does get stepped on, no big deal.

Or spikes. Spikes are pretty good at letting people know not to step on things.

coralmarge
02-24-2010, 02:28 PM
I would agree that you will want to be able to access it daily. Don't do something that you might regret. Spikes covering it would be funny, but not really that safe for kids, and all kids like ponds. As far as the skimmer, you would likey be alright with like a Mini Pond Skimmer ("http://allmypetsupplies.com/p-1649-mini-pond-skimmer.aspx). Good Luck and can't wait to see pics.