PDA

View Full Version : Bottom swimmers to go with bettas?

Blackmantis
01-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a red crowntail betta and am thinking about getting him some tank mates in his 20 gallon tank. I saw various compatibility charts but am not very familiar with all the fish on them even after having searched through some of their profiles. There's just so many, so I wanted to ask you guys about compatible tank mates, specifically about bottom swimmers since I heard they do well with bettas.

I have a few questions regarding bottom swimmers:

1. Do any of you keep (or have kept) bottom swimmers with betta? What kind?

2. Do you know of any good compatible smaller bottom swimmers that eat algae (since I'm planning on putting live plants in)?

3. How many smaller fish can be put into a 20 gallon tank with a betta before it becomes overcrowded? I wouldn't want my betta to feel crowded and kill them.

MCHRKiller
01-04-2010, 11:43 PM
I used to keep some Java Loaches(similar to Kuhli loaches) with mine, you could also do a smaller corydoras species. Habrosus cories would work very well, you could also keep 3 Oto catfish to keep algae down. Then for shoalers something small and peaceful that isnt nippy would work well. Something in the rasbora family tends to work best, alot of tetras can become nippy of a bettas long fins. Some simple harlequins would do nicely a shoal of 8-10, with 6 Habrosus cories or Kuhli loaches, 3 otos and the Betta would fill out the tank wonderfully I think. You could supplement the Harlequins for some of the dwarf rasboras and bump your shoal up to 12 members.

toddnbecka
01-05-2010, 06:26 AM
I'd recommend a BN pleco for algae control rather than Oto's, particularly with a betta. As for the number of other fish, that really depends on the betta. Some won't tolerate any other fish, some don't seem to care. Cherry barbs would probably be a good bet, a group of 5-6 wouldn't overcrowd the tank.

Pandora
01-05-2010, 08:19 AM
For nearly a year I have had albino cories in with my betta. Although he usually sits at the top, sometimes i find him at the bottom of the tank just hanging out with the cories. Really cute!

However, i recently added a julii and the betta just won't tolerate him. Nips him whenever he can.

I think it depends on the bettas personality and quirks.

annageckos
01-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Some of the smaller cories or kuhli loaches should be ok. Just remember, all betta are different. Some are peacful, other will not tolorate anything eles around. You could also add a school of a dozen ember tetras or 6-8 harliquen rasboras. A bristlenose pleco is good for algea or a couple of ottos if you can't find the bristlenose pleco. I wouldn't add albino cories, they usally get large at about 3 inches each. Also stay away from zebra danios and gouramis.

Northernguy
01-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I have a betta that shares a tank seemingly happily with neon and cardinal tetras.I have an apple snail in there that eats a wee bit of algae.
Weekly cleanings will control most algae situations.Keep the tank out of direct sunlight.

Pele
01-06-2010, 12:45 AM
I agree with northern guy, dont get a fish just to clean algae.
That said, ghost/cherry shrimp work with bettas (sometimes) and the yeat algae. They also look cool.
A school of panda-corys would look nice
Platys work well with bettas
Snails work wonderfully.

However, I belive that a male (and usually female) betta is best kept alone for the sake of the betta and the other fish.

souly
01-06-2010, 01:43 AM
My bettas tank mate is a African Dwarf Frog...he does not like anyone else in the tank. Corry cats might work to, but you'll need to see by your bettas temperment.