PDA

View Full Version : new tank

guppy
01-04-2010, 11:10 PM
im new here and need a little help. Ive kept mainly bettas before in pretty small tanks. now i wanna move up to a 10 gallon. My ph level is over 7.6 not sure the exact number since its a little darker then the highest level on the chart i have. I was wondering what fish could b kept in a 10 gallon tank with this ph, ne suggestions r appreciated, but fish that can b fed flakes would b preferable.

MCHRKiller
01-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Most of your common community fish available are honestly not that picky when it comes to pH as long as it isnt an extreme number which yours isnt they will be fine. The most important issue is to keep your ammonia and nitrite at zero and your nitrate low. Some small shoaling fish would be a good additon to the tank...a group of 6-8 Neons/Harlequins or other small shoaling fish would go nice in a tank that size...as would some ghost shrimp or a couple of amano shrimp for algae control. All would do well on a staple diet of flake food, but dont be afraid to toss in some treats for them of frozen fish food every so often...you will see a big improvement in color and health of the fish with a varied diet. Also fishless cycling is the way to go :22:

Kazenouta
01-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Hey guppy,
Welcome to the forums!
My pH is 7.6. I keep Zebra Danios, Neon Tetras, and a Dwarf Gourami currently and none of them have any issues (seemingly) with the pH. One thing to keep in mind, as many of the AC's more experienced members will tell you, is that the most important thing with pH is to keep it constant. If you can keep your water at a constant 7.6 or whatever yours may be then I think you'll be fine. If your water is running a pH of 12 however, then I think you'll probably run into issues. There are members of this forum who keep plenty of fish in a pH of 9. Just keep it constant and stable! Best of luck to you!thumbs2:

guppy
01-05-2010, 01:17 AM
thnx for the help, i will deffinetly look into those fish. Most sites stress the importance of ph, so it is great to hear keeping it constant will work just as well. Again thnx for the advise

BirdOfPray
01-05-2010, 03:01 AM
One way to look at your pH is that if you're buying your fish locally, chances are good they're already living in the same approximate pH as you have coming out of your tap. So, it's easier just to keep them going on what they're used to, especially when you know it'll be stable, than to try to mess with it and run the risk of it shifting drastically when something goes wrong and having all of your fish go into shock.

lowlight
01-05-2010, 07:12 AM
I have a 55gal community lightly planted tank with a Ph of 7.5 to 7.6. Neon Tetras, Kuhli Loaches, Otto's and SAE are what I have and all are healthy. As already posted a stable Ph is important.

little hawaii
01-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Swodtails or mollies whould be good. you could keep 6 or so, but don't forget that the females will be haveing lots of babys every month. You might want a few cory cats to cleanup too.

guppy
01-06-2010, 12:59 AM
i was wondering if there is some way to keep little baby fish from occupying my tank besides just getting all males or all females? I will b shopping at petsmart or petco since my local fish store recently closed :\, they will all b baby fish and for most species if i am correct it is hard to judge when theyre that young. Ne advice?

Lab_Rat
01-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Swodtails or mollies whould be good. you could keep 6 or so, but don't forget that the females will be haveing lots of babys every month. You might want a few cory cats to cleanup too.

I wouldn't go with swordtails or mollies in a 10g. Both species get too big for a 10g. Platies or guppies would be a good alternative recommendation. Cories don't do much for clean up if you're feeding properly and really need food themselves, not leftover scraps.

i was wondering if there is some way to keep little baby fish from occupying my tank besides just getting all males or all females? I will b shopping at petsmart or petco since my local fish store recently closed :\, they will all b baby fish and for most species if i am correct it is hard to judge when theyre that young. Ne advice?

Unless you go with livebearers, you really shouldn't have issues with fish breeding as raising fry generally takes a bit of work and effort.