PDA

View Full Version : 125g stocking question

domjd05
01-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey guys, as many of you know I'm in the middle of setting up a 125g planted discus tank (see journal forum for full tank details).

I plan to stock it with 7-10 discus, not sure on the exact amount yet, and possibly a pair of rams.

For filtration the tank has a 35g sump with a 750gph wet/dry filter, I also plan to run a 350ish gph HOB.

My question is the tankmates. I would like to house cardinals and skunk cories with the discus, but I'm not sure how many I can safely stock in the tank. I was thinking 12 of each- is this too many?

I was also thinking of 2 BN plecos to aid in algae control.

Any thoughts?

annageckos
01-04-2010, 07:04 PM
It looks like 80-81F is the upper limit to the skunk cory's temp range. Here is a list of other cories' with higher temp ranges. http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/search_result.php?temp_min=77&temp_max=82.4&tempunit=deg_f&order=hits&results=100
For the cardinal tetras you could easily do 12, even more shouldn't be a problem.

Red
01-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Agreed, I think cories would be fine at 80. I just would not expect them to breed. Bns would be good too. Instead of cardinals, have you considered rummynose?

domjd05
01-04-2010, 09:25 PM
I planned on keeping the temp a bit lower (for discus anyway) at around 82, I've kept skunk cories at that temp succesfully before, but I'll do some more research into that.

I have also looked at rummynose, but I just love cardinals, I'm pretty set on them. I think they will be ok because the discus I'm getting will be on the smaller side (about 3 inches) hopefully allowing the discus to grow out with the cardinals will curb the possible aggression.

So 12 cardinals and 2 BNs no problem, what about cories? Would 12 be too many?

Thanks all

MCHRKiller
01-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Look into some Corydoras sterbai cories they have a bit more of a temp tollerance than alot...most reference states them capable of thriving at up to around 83*F. I would keep the discus on the low end of what you want to keep at around 7, and then stock it with 30-40 cardinals/rummies/other...3-4 bristle nose plecos, 12 cories would be fine as well. You shouldnt have any issues 125gallons is a good amount of water to work with, not to mention your sump and the WC requirements of discus anyway youll be doing plenty to keep up with the load.

domjd05
01-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Do you think more than 7 would cause aggression issues as they grow? I don't mind keeping one less discus for 10 extra cardinals lol sounds great either way

MCHRKiller
01-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Should be alright, you may eventually have a pair or two from so you may have to adjust your stock accordingly. If you had a decent amount of plants, there will be natural breaks in the line of sight, and the more you have the more spread out aggression will be I dont forsee any issues coming from having 6-8. I probably wouldnt go over 8 with the addition of other fish to the tank tho :22:

domjd05
01-05-2010, 01:08 AM
There will be plenty of plants, I think 7 sounds good but we'll see how my wallet feels when its time to order them haha.