PDA

View Full Version : Comets

veran
01-04-2010, 02:18 PM
hi

i have quite a few comets but i want to make them grow faster. the smaller ones are about 6-7cm long and the bigger ones are 10-12cm long. apprently they grow to 35cm in a big tank. how can i make them grow faster without putting them at risk.

Northernguy
01-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
The best way is to provide ample room for them to grow and a really good varied diet.
NLS foods are a great start if its available to you.
How long have you had them?Is the tank cycled?
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/goldfish/comets.php

veran
01-04-2010, 02:26 PM
hi
thanks for the reply.
i got them for about 4 months now

Northernguy
01-04-2010, 02:40 PM
How big is your tank?What size filters do you have?
The more room they have to swim the faster they will grow.If they are kept in too small of a tank you will stunt their growth.They also need some good filtration.Most of us run double whats reccomended.If you have a 50gal then 100gal of filtration is used.

VoidParadigm
01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Fresh food makes comets grow like wildfire. The favorites of my breeding pairs are worms and grapes.

If you want them to meet their huge potential you should provide at least 2.5 gallons per inch of comet. (For example, I used to have two 12 inchers in a 60 gallon tank.)

I've also found that ponds work wonders to grow comets, if you don't mind the pond being a little messy. Any bug, leaf, or scrap of grass that falls into the pond gets quickly devoured by my comets in the summer months. (Disgusting story, but true - we once found one of our comets nibbling on a shrew that had accidentally fallen in!)

Wild Turkey
01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
The simple answer is

1.Plenty of room
2. Quality, varied diet
4. Good filtration
3. Lots of waterchanges (2x weekly for a gf tank is not unusual)

Of course there are a million variables that will effect your fishes max size, but the 4 things i listed above come first and foremost imo. 3 and 4 tend to be more of an issue in goldfish tanks as they are high waste producing fish.

annageckos
01-04-2010, 04:15 PM
What everyone else said. Big tank or pond, great filtration, good varied diet. Veggies are great to feed, things like kale and collard greens, squash, cukes, zuchinni, peas and fruit like soft pears, grapes, mangos and banana. They are also very fond of duckweek and anachris. And a good quaity pellet.

Scrup
01-04-2010, 05:01 PM
stock tanks work really good as indoor ponds.

smaug
01-04-2010, 09:14 PM
We gotta know how big your tank is.

veran
01-05-2010, 02:17 PM
thanks for all the responses.
i got a 4ft tank

annageckos
01-05-2010, 02:31 PM
What is the gallons? And how many goldfish do you have?

VoidParadigm
01-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Just saying "I have a four foot tank" honestly doesn't help us much, sorry. :scry:

We have no way of knowing if you're talking about a standard four foot long, or if yours is some wonky measurement. If you don't know the gallons, please provide at least an estimation of the height and width.

How many goldfish are within would help too! :)