PDA

View Full Version : Mad Discus Disease?

Fre nchy
04-23-2007, 04:01 PM
All of yesterday my biggest Discus was swimming around all funny (he'd spin around in circles on his sides (kinda patterny like - like how discus swim) and then shoot across the tank and continue to do the same). He'd also swim with his fin sticking out of the water across the tank back and forth, I thought it was because I had turned off the bubble machine so I turned it back on and he stopped for awhile. Then he started doing it again later after I had turned it off again just to test and see if that was why, so I turned it back on and left it on. He kept doing it the rest of the night and had now begun attacking the other fish. So I just figured he was being crazy again (he goes insane every once in awhile and attack's everyone) and so I fed them, left it alone and went to bed. I awoke this morning and I grab my Discus food, go to feed him, and notice he aint in the tank. He was behind the tank pretty dried out (it had been at least 45 minutes to an hour since he jumped). It kinda reminded me of mad cow disease, with the way he was acting? I just put a third (baby) Discus in their but he liked that one (the other bigger one didn't) and a Dragon Goby, they seemed fine with the new fish, but the Goby kinda freaks all of them out so I was thinking maybe that was it? Is there any health issue that could have caused this? Could have just been the water parameters (there was a spike of ammonia yesterday after I gave them a small water change (cleaning the excess food)). The water is a little harder than it normally is so I was thinking maybe he was pissed about that. He's always been insane, to the point of suicidal (he was like that before we got him) but after we took him home he was in love with us. Could it have been the little Discus?

Fre nchy
04-23-2007, 04:09 PM
pH - 6.5
Alk - 70
Hardness - 85
Nitrate - 6.0
Nitrite - 30

So the Ammonia has dramatically increased since I checked yesterday, so I'm gonna go buy some Ammonia solution stuff later today. Any recommendations or side effects they might have, as to be prepared for it?

I don't think the ammonia is why he jumped, our fish have gone through worse conditions for weeks straight, so I don't think the water conditions are too much of why, I think he caught some sort of disease. Is there any that sound similiar to this?

cocoa_pleco
04-23-2007, 04:10 PM
those nitrate and nitrite are looking bad. do a water change

sergo
04-23-2007, 04:12 PM
dude, what happened? what is you ammonia at?
that's pretty bad, no wonder you fish are going crazy.

Lady Hobbs
04-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Oh man. No wonder he was going nuts. Your tank is not even cycled! You should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and very, very low nitrates (if any) before any Discus goes in that water.

http://www.gnsaquarium.com.au/html/ammonia_nitrite.html

Read what high levels of any of these do to your fish.

Fre nchy
04-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Thank you, I put some Amquel Plus+ in for Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia and they seem to be doing a lot better.

That link you left was really helpful, now I know what that stuff means (there's been countless occasions where my fish will act like that (stick around filter in/outlets while gasping for air and swimmin on their sides, lathargia, etc.)).

My catfish do this thing where (they've done it ever since we got them (january)) they lay inbetween the glass and the substrate and "pass out" while breathing heavily and their eyes shift back and forth. They've always done it, usually they start when the light gets turned on. It rarely seems to be because of their health, my girlfriend thinks it's because they like cooler water (usually between 79 - 81). They do seem to do better when it's cooler and the light is off. They're silver tipped catfish (I think it's Arius jordani). Any ideas on that?

cocoa_pleco
04-23-2007, 08:50 PM
do a MAJOR crapload of water changes.

Discus are sensitive and need mature tanks

Fre nchy
04-23-2007, 09:31 PM
do a MAJOR crapload of water changes.

Discus are sensitive and need mature tanks

Yeah, we had three red earred sliders in their and we just moved them to the pond and set up the thing like a week ago. I put some substrate in their that had water in it that you're supposed to put into the tank with it if it's new, and it cycles the tank instantly. Well, it did. We left it running for like 5 or 6 days and had slowly added things in (like a huge rock, a crystal, etc.) from our old tank into it over the time period, checked it with pH strips everyday, there was never anything wrong, everything kept stable until last night when he was freaking out and now everything's up still but I think it's lowering (I just did a 60% water change and added, salt, ph down, amquel plus+ water conditioner, stress coat and a few drops of Amquel Plus+ Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia). My fish are stressed right now because they don't like the python so I'm waiting till tonight or possibly tomorrow morning to check again (ph strips are $20 cheapest here and i'm on a budget).

cocoa_pleco
04-23-2007, 10:12 PM
20$?

My mom works at a hospital and can get like 100 test strips for 2$ for PH. ( meant for urine samples, but safe for aquariums)

jeffs99dime
04-24-2007, 12:33 AM
you do not need all those chemicals in there. most of the one's you listed don't really solve problems anyway, they just hide them. also, don't use test strips, they're not as accurate as a liquid test kit. sorry if i sound coarse. nothing personal

Fre nchy
04-24-2007, 03:58 AM
I want to start using thoes but I can't afford it at this moment. So I'm dealing with the strips. If I'm going to add that stuff should I wait and space it out over an hour or so?

Lady Hobbs
04-24-2007, 06:23 AM
I totally agree with Jeff. The best thing you can do for your fish is frequent water changes until that tank has cycled. The more stuff you put in the water, the more the chemistry gets changed until you don't know what's going on. And adding more than one chemical at once is once again putting your fish thru un-needed stress.

Caftish are nite-stalkers. They don't like lights so will hide from them. Catfish in a new tank will often starve because no aglae is there for them to eat yet. Make sure you're giving them algae pellets.

Discus don't like salt either.

cocoa_pleco
04-24-2007, 01:09 PM
sorry if this sounds mean, but i never mean to be:1:

the best thing for fish is just water changes and treating their tap water with the dechlorinator.
Of course, you need the occasional med for a sick fish, but that most often is it, unless you use a liquid plant iron supplement. all the other liquid mumbo jumbo is just a scheme that says presto, your tank will be healthy, when really water changes are the best thing that you can do.
I used to use ammo-lock when i had cloudy water and use b-clear to clear the water like a mad scientist, but now after 10 years ive figured out the whole meaning of water changes and what they do, and they are 110% better than chemicals.

2manyfish
05-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Yeah, we had three red earred sliders in their and we just moved them to the pond and set up the thing like a week ago. I put some substrate in their that had water in it that you're supposed to put into the tank with it if it's new, and it cycles the tank instantly. Well, it did. We left it running for like 5 or 6 days and had slowly added things in (like a huge rock, a crystal, etc.) from our old tank into it over the time period, checked it with pH strips everyday, there was never anything wrong, everything kept stable until last night when he was freaking out and now everything's up still but I think it's lowering (I just did a 60% water change and added, salt, ph down, amquel plus+ water conditioner, stress coat and a few drops of Amquel Plus+ Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia). My fish are stressed right now because they don't like the python so I'm waiting till tonight or possibly tomorrow morning to check again (ph strips are $20 cheapest here and i'm on a budget).

First off, when you are trying to do a instant cycle (by bringing things from other tanks into the new one) you have to do this quickly. Spacing things out for a week or so isn't doing any good. The bacteria that you are trying to establish in the new tank need something to eat. In a newly set up empty-of-fish tank they aren't going to find anything and they die. So basically you've put discus in an uncycled tank. Even though the discus are still alive right now, the damage to their gills and internal organs has been done. If possible, get some filter material from another tank and put it in this tanks filter. You could add other items too if you can!
What you need to do right now are several small water changes (15% at 2x's or 3x's) every single day until you get ammonia and nitrites down to 0!
Do NOT add salt or stress coat to the water. Stress coat is like adding extra slime to the fishes body. Even the gills. This can make it difficult for the fish to have proper oxygen intake. Salt is an irritant which causes the fish to make excessive slime. Even on the gills! Can you see where I'm going with this? They are basically being smothered! Keep that air bubbler going and make sure you have plenty of surface agitation on the waters surface!
Do NOT add pH down to the water. This is one of the biggest mistakes people do. Unless you are trying to breed discus you do not need to keep their pH at a certain level. Using those additives tends to make the pH bounce all over the place which is so very unhealthy for your fish. That's also why you should do small water changes two or three times a day so the pH doesn't just shoot up quickly.
Do NOT add more than one water conditioner to the water. It isn't necessary, it's wasting money and your just adding more chemicals to the tank....just use the Amquel + for right now.
Make sure when you're doing those water changes that you match the temp.
Oh, and move that dragon goby out of there!

Good luck to you and your fish!