PDA

View Full Version : Another stupid pleco story

HomaridNoob6
01-02-2010, 10:22 PM
So I "rescued" some fish from a friend that was fed up with his kids not taking care of their tank, he said he was gonna flush them and I'm not a fan of that. I wound up getting some pretty sad acquisitions, a danio with one, or no eyes, hard to tell really if the right one works or not. a single blackskirt tetra, this black molly with some crazy huge tumor. A pretty large common pleco, exactly what I did not want... I don't have a clue how he thought he was gonna flush this thing, it's almost a foot long. Can you imagine having to call a plumber because a pleco was clogging your toilet?

He told me that he had it for about 2 years, and he bought it when he bought his 10 gallon, yes, it was in a ten gallon. He knows nothing about fish so I can't blame him. They also told him that it was a great cleaner fish that lived off eating other fishes poop. And he wondered why his tank was so messy... Right now its in a 55, I know, still way too small, but I don't have any other tanks to put it in right now. At least its a fairly wide tank so the thing can sort of turn around. It's so used to being in the ten gallon though, for about 4 hours or more it just kind of swam backward and forward about an inch or two. I'm hoping the one good LFS will take this thing off my hands now, of course I have to make the 45 min drive. I really wish they wouldn't sell so many of these dang things, common plecos are cool fish, but they do not belong in probably 80% of the people that have thems tanks.

Anyway just had to rant because stuff like this ticks me off and seems to happen really often. Poor fish was so cramped for so long it could hardly even figure out how to swim. Well, it's pretty good at swimming backwards though, I'll give it that much.

Northernguy
01-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I got one just like that! I am still thinking about dropping it off at the lfs.
More fish stores should care where their fish are going.

EmmanuelJB
01-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Im not sure if it is true but my friend told me a story about a pleco getting stuck in the toilet! Ok well these poeple bought a house and when they moved in they found a dirty fish tank with a common pleco in it and they threw away the tank and flushed the pleco. Well a year or so later their toilet started clogging up so they eventually called a plummer. The plummer took apart some of the pipes and found a huge pleco in the pipe.
Does this sound possible?? Anyway when I was reading the thread and they were talking about a pleco getting stuck in the toilet it just reminded me of that story.

gadget228
01-02-2010, 10:38 PM
If you were to take this pleco to a LFS I would be worried with what they are going to do with it, how big of a tank is required to give it a good home ?

HomaridNoob6
01-02-2010, 10:45 PM
well, this thing is only gonna get bigger, check this pic I found out http://www.bowfinanglers.com/images/nickv_pleco_072806.jpg the least I would want to keep it in is 100gal, I think that's still kind of small personally, years back I had a common pleco it grew to be a beast in my 250. The LFS I would take it to is a good place, they have a couple large tanks for their monster fish so I wouldn't worry about that.

gadget228
01-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Is the one in the picture a common pleco ?, I would love to have a tank big enough for one because I think they have such a prehistoric look to them and I have grand kids that are glass tappers, this fish staring back at them would make them think twice.

Wherever you re-home it, it's going to better than the 10 you found it in.

james20
01-02-2010, 11:50 PM
This angers me. I hate hearing these types of stories. It sonds pretty common on this fourm for people to rescue fish that will be flushed.

Lab_Rat
01-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Good for you for taking the fish. Hopefully your LFS will take the plec off your hands, mine did with the 14" one that came with my 29g. They really do need 125g+ cuz they're such monsters. 10g is horrific.

MrJim
01-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Some of this goes back to LFS~~what are they thinking, like how many 100 gal tanks to they sell in a year vs. common plecs sold in a month? Why not sell bristlenose and smaller and special order in the monster fish? Idiocy..

HomaridNoob6
01-03-2010, 12:51 AM
yeah, I believe that ones a common, the page I found it on had pics of a huge black adonis as well, I'm not too familiar with pleco species, I like em, but they either just get too big or the more exotic varietes are hard to find here. To be fair to my friend though, he A. Knows nothing about fishkeeping and it was his childrens tank. B. Did not realize that by flushing it it wouldn't have much of a chance to live. C. Never wanted a tank in the first place and didn't even realize that wasn't enough room.

The LFS will probably give me some store credit for him actually so thats cool, I just gotta find the time to drive up there.

Unfortunately I had to move him to a 20g tank with his old tankmates because I noticed a small open wound on his underside and I don't want to have to medicate my whole 55 to keep him from getting an infection or fungus. Heres a really bad pic I got of him, the piece of driftwood he's on is a bit thicker than my wrist...
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/lobsterrabbi/pleco1-1.jpg

HomaridNoob6
01-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Some of this goes back to LFS~~what are they thinking, like how many 100 gal tanks to they sell in a year vs. common plecs sold in a month? Why not sell bristlenose and smaller and special order in the monster fish? Idiocy..

Some of it goes back to them? They sold it to him at the same time he was buying a 10g tank man. He had no clue what it would turn into. I'm not meaning to sound rude at all, hope that doesn't come off that way.

gadget228
01-03-2010, 02:43 PM
When I bought my first tank from a LFS they told me that I would need a pleco to control algae, they sold me a common along with a 30 gallon tank and never said a word about how big it would get, when it got to be 8" I traded it even for one that would only get about 3-5".

james20
01-03-2010, 06:48 PM

I think this is because commons are more cheaper, and as the name suggests more "common" than others. A lot of people who work at pet stores are unaware of care for fish.

cer
01-03-2010, 08:11 PM
One time at ml LFS some guy walked up to the counter and asked the person there if they had enough room for a foot and a half long common pleco. The man at the counter said they had a permament home in their 300 gallon show tank. Sure enough there was a healthy 1ft1/2 long common pleco in the show tank. They have had it a year now.

Oscar_freak12321
01-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Sheesh, sometimes lfs employees make me mad.

HomaridNoob6
01-15-2010, 12:39 AM
just a little update, drove to the LFS thats a bit over a half hour away, and they wouldn't take the pleco because they had way too many fish in both their "monster" fish tanks. And they are trying not to house as many things like large pleco's TSN's and RTC's and pacus, which is good in some ways, but not for this poor guy. So he's back in the 55 and on to craigslist he will go again. Hopefully this time I get some realistic responses about him.

Bristley
01-15-2010, 09:32 PM
I have to agree that some of this has to do with lack of knowledge by LFS employees, especially when it comes to large chains. However, I think there may also be an aspect of future sales in the way a LFS thinks when it comes to the mom and pop shops.

If you get one that is semi-knowledgeable, but mostly business oriented, you could end up with a guy that will sell common plecos to anybody and everybody, thinking that when the fish get too big, he might be able to convince the owner to just buy a larger tank from him.

That's my 2 cents anyway.