PDA

View Full Version : Another 3 Mystery cichlids

crackatinny
04-23-2007, 06:58 AM
I am pretty sure there are at least 2 different varieties among these cichlids, can anyone help?

Cichlid one

crackatinny
04-23-2007, 06:59 AM
Cichlid two
At different angles this one is very pale blue, also it tends to shake its head from side to side a lot.

I was thinking it may be the female of the above species, as bodywise they are very similar

crackatinny
04-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Cichlid three

On this one, the head seems pointier, and the eyes look bigger.

Fishguy2727
04-23-2007, 12:03 PM
#1 looks like electric blue johanni.
#2 I am not sure.
#3 has big eyes like a peacock.

cocoa_pleco
04-23-2007, 03:43 PM
1- reptileguys right
2- cobalt blue???
3- peacock

Fishguy2727
04-23-2007, 07:33 PM
#2 looks beat up/stressed. May be a powder blue socolofi. It is a mbuna though.
#3 is a male peacock, the blue will come out the best in the ideal Lake Malawi water parameters, a high quality diet (NLS), and not being harassed by mbunas.

Do you plan on keeping them all together? What else are they with? I wouldn't keep the peacock with the mbunas. I would just mbunas (if that is what the tank already is overall).

cocoa_pleco
04-23-2007, 08:41 PM
number 2 is pale, led by stress. Just go with mbunas, since the peacock will get in fights with mbuna

crackatinny
04-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Currently there are the top 2, and 3 of the last ones in the tank. There is no fighting going on that I have seen.
The dull colour of No.2 could be stress related due to moves, it seems a liitle darker this morning.

Thanks guys.

Drumachine09
04-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah, number two looks, to me, like a socolofi. Mine when palish when i first got them, but the i was feeding hikari ciclid gold, and his colors perked right up. Nice fish.

Fishguy2727
04-23-2007, 11:56 PM
NLS will help bring out the best colors in them. Mine quickly got purple irridescence over the whole body on a few species, metallic green on the gill cover of the electric blue johanni, and purple irridesence under the black blotches of the OB zebra (visible when his blotches fade in the morning and after feeding time).

Drumachine09
04-23-2007, 11:58 PM
NLS will help bring out the best colors in them. Mine quickly got purple irridescence over the whole body on a few species, metallic green on the gill cover of the electric blue johanni, and purple irridesence under the black blotches of the OB zebra (visible when his blotches fade in the morning and after feeding time).

LOL! They might as well pay you for all of this free advertising they are getting out of you!

crackatinny
04-24-2007, 12:03 AM
What is NLS?

cocoa_pleco
04-24-2007, 12:04 AM
new life spectrum food, VERY good for fish

crackatinny
04-24-2007, 12:17 AM
A google search of socolfi brung up your AC profile Drum

cocoa_pleco
04-24-2007, 12:31 AM
A google search of socolfi brung up your AC profile Drum

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

crackatinny
04-24-2007, 12:37 AM
At this stage I agree with the 1st one being a electric blue johanni, (I did notice that there is an electric blue, and a johanni, then the electric blue johanni, is the 3rd a hybrid of the 1st two?), with the second one, still unsure between cobalt of socolofi, but leaning toward the later.

As for the 3rd being a peacock, there seems to be many types of peacock, can anyone norrow it down, or would I need to wait for it to colour up a bit?

Fishguy2727
04-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Electric blue can be a lot of things. I know of a mbuna, a peacock, and an open water that all have a common name of electric blue. Johannis are electric blues. Someone that has stopped using common names because they are so confusing will just call it johanni. Someone who is talking about mbunas may simply say electric blue. Most seem to call it an electric blue johanni.

Knowing the exact species name is not important. Unless you KNOW the exact species (such as: you go to the LFS and they have it listed including where in the lake it was caught) you do not know. Unless it was wild caught you have to assume it is not truly pure bred. Many are hybrids. What is important is whether it is a mbuna, peacock, or open water. You need to know this because they all generally need to be kept separate to thrive, which should always be the goal. There is a lot of blue on that peacock, especually since it looks like it is still pretty small. I would guess it is an electric blue blue peacock, but we already went there.

crackatinny
04-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Electric blue can be a lot of things. I know of a mbuna, a peacock, and an open water that all have a common name of electric blue. Johannis are electric blues. Someone that has stopped using common names because they are so confusing will just call it johanni. Someone who is talking about mbunas may simply say electric blue. Most seem to call it an electric blue johanni.

Knowing the exact species name is not important. Unless you KNOW the exact species (such as: you go to the LFS and they have it listed including where in the lake it was caught) you do not know. Unless it was wild caught you have to assume it is not truly pure bred. Many are hybrids. What is important is whether it is a mbuna, peacock, or open water. You need to know this because they all generally need to be kept separate to thrive, which should always be the goal. There is a lot of blue on that peacock, especually since it looks like it is still pretty small. I would guess it is an electric blue blue peacock, but we already went there.

Thanks for all you help reptileguy, Just when I looked up electric blue johanni the stripes was vertical, when I looked up johanni, they was horizontal, apart from what you point out, I also think that adult size is important, from my research, I am guessing this guy will grow 4-5inch, is this correct.

Sorry to be such a pain, but I have fell in love with cichlids, I got these 5 for $25 total at our local LFS, simply because they did not know what they was, now at the same LFS a convict is $9.50, so you can see where I am coming from, if I could get a few community cichlid tanks together, by buying them at a basement price, it is sorta the only way I can do it.

Fishguy2727
04-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Most mbunas hit about 4-6". When we got in johannis they have horizontal blue bars with vertical black bars interrupting them toward the front of the body. When we got mainganos (a supspecies based on collection location I believe), their horizontal blue was not interrupted. So are you going to have to keep the peacock with the mbunas?

Lady Hobbs
04-25-2007, 01:12 AM
I hate it when you go in some stores and the cichlid tank is labeled "assorted cichlids". What is that!!!!!!! Assorted could be anything and still not be mis-labled.

Coler
04-25-2007, 11:18 AM
yeah I think the point is that you want to know exactly what you're buying if at all possible. However, the mystery cichlid tank is what it is - unidentifiable. If you choose to buy from them you are most likely not ever going to have a proper ID. These fish will not in fact have a proper ID as they are hybrids. That's why they can't be ID'd.There's no point in asking for a specific ID as the best you will do is it's aulonucara hybrid, its a mbuna hybrid ,its an OB etc.

Note, I'm referring to the correctly labelled 'assorted cichlid' tank; not where e.g. they have a lot of Ps. Demasoni mislabelled as mystery fish and you can get a pretty sweet deal on them.

But you can still get a nice looking fish out of them. And if you're lucky and you know what you're looking for you can get a bargain. I spotted what I'm pretty sure is a nice rusty cichlid ( Iodotropheus sprengerae ) in the lucky dip tank and was delighted to get him at the lower price. Having said that, he may turn out to be a mutt of some kind. What you pay for is what you get and if you buy from the unidentiable cichlid tank you most are most likely getting an unidentifable cichlid.

Jasonizal
10-08-2007, 07:22 AM
It looks like a Pseudotropheus demasoni male.http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee34/Jasonizal/100_6327.jpg Thats mine.

Jasonizal
10-08-2007, 07:27 AM
I had a look at Both My Sciaenochromis fryeri(iceberg, electric blue) and my Pseudotropheus demasoni. It is The Electric Blue Just mine is way more mature and has brighter colors than that. (my bad)

Jasonizal
10-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Resembles a Rusty but.......The coloring seems Abnormally Pale also its mouth.....hmm looks like you just got yourself a hybrid.