PDA

View Full Version : is there any crab?

fontell
01-02-2010, 08:43 AM
is there any crab that can live under water fulltime say like in a tropical comunity tank?

Little Embers
01-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't think there is (definitely could be wrong on that though) and I'm sure a crab person will come along soon. As far as I know, they need some land area (some like to build a burrow in sand) or at least have rocks or wood available so they can climb out of the water. Also need access to air. They are also very good climbers and you often here of people having their crabs climbing up the filters/heaters and escaping if their is a gap in the tank lid.

annageckos
01-02-2010, 04:47 PM
All the commonly kept crab species need land and are brackish too. There is a new species just now being seen that seems to be fully aquatic called the Micro Crab (Limnopilos naiyanetri). I have never kept these little guys so I don't know much about them other than what I read. That being said, they are tiny crabs and many fish will eat them no problem.

teddscau
01-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Go to http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20Mini-Crab%20I.htm

Northernguy
01-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Not sure if there is but its not recomended!
They will harm your fish and eat them,it what they do.The choice is yours just letting you know.

Amazon
01-16-2010, 12:55 AM
I had one in an African cichlid tank one time. I have no idea what kind it was, it was just a very lucky find. I would not recommend it for a community tank though because first they will eat your fish and second they most likely need hard water with a ph around 8 which most community tanks cant healthly support. You may want to try a smaller species of crawfish or maybe some shrimp.thumbs2: :22:
good luck