PDA

View Full Version : Our 1st lot of convict fry

crackatinny
04-23-2007, 03:35 AM
Here are some pics of what we found in one of our tanks this moning, the 1st is the proud mother with her fry, and the second are both parents guarding.

Now what do we do, we want to keep a few, when should we remove them?, we have some microfood for raising fry, would a keeper net be best,or we have a free 5g that is cycled, but been sitting for 2 days with no heater, filter or air running, what would be our best plan?

cocoa_pleco
04-23-2007, 03:46 AM
id say separate them.

Congrats!

crackatinny
04-23-2007, 03:48 AM
id say separate them.

Congrats!

You don't think the 1stday is to soon?

cocoa_pleco
04-23-2007, 03:51 AM
Are the convicts with other fish? If theyre alone, keep them for a few days, if theres other fish, chances are they'll get eaten

crackatinny
04-23-2007, 04:00 AM
There are 3 other convicts and 3 iger barbs in there

cocoa_pleco
04-23-2007, 04:05 AM
the other convicts and barbs will be pretty full after their fry meal.

I think you should separate them as soon as possible. They'll probably get eaten

xoolooxunny
04-24-2007, 02:38 AM
:wolfgang: :wolfgang: congrats on the fry!! :wolfgang: :wolfgang:

Lady Hobbs
04-24-2007, 02:49 AM
Oh my gosh! What a neat thing to wake up to. This is just soooo kool!

I don't know how you'd ever separate them and get them all. Would it be possible to add a divider of some type......a piece of Plexiglas or something. I think convicts make good parents so it's possible they will be very well together but possibly the male might have to be removed. Others with experience with them will help out here, I hope.

I love it! Sell them to your fish store.

Lady Hobbs
04-24-2007, 02:52 AM
http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/raising_baby_fish_2.htm

Here, read this.

crackatinny
04-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks hobbs, I had no way of dividing tank, when i got hoe from work, the wife had tied the bottom of our 12x10 net in a not and stuck that in, it will not keep the fry at bay, but stops the others from invading the breeding area, as they tend to not go near top of tank much.

It is so cool watching the parents suck them up in there mouths, and bring them to a central area and spit them out, they are both good parents so far.

nanaglen2001
04-24-2007, 09:41 AM
I wouldnt do anything about the fry. Leave them with the parents. Convicts care very good for their young, so the chances arnt too bad that some of the babies may survive. And if not, its no catastrphe at all, cause your convicts will have lots of fry afterwards.

Once they have started reproducing, they wont stop. So dont panic if none of the babies will survive. With each batch of eggs, the parents will have more routine, and soon the day will come, that you ask the forum about an Antibaby Pill for Convictsthumbs2:

crackatinny
04-24-2007, 10:17 AM
I wouldnt do anything about the fry. Leave them with the parents. Convicts care very good for their young, so the chances arnt too bad that some of the babies may survive. And if not, its no catastrphe at all, cause your convicts will have lots of fry afterwards.

Once they have started reproducing, they wont stop. So dont panic if none of the babies will survive. With each batch of eggs, the parents will have more routine, and soon the day will come, that you ask the forum about an Antibaby Pill for Convictsthumbs2:

Yes, all I have done is put a makeshift divider in to stop the other convicts harrassing the parents so much.

My nephew had a breeding pair, and his constantly bred, oh this brings back memories of the beginning of my addiction last August, when we babysat his fish, and his convicts had fry during this time, that is how I got my 1st 5 convicts, all the times his bred, he only ever got the one white one though.