PDA

View Full Version : My fish journal!! :D (Bad news...I need help)

Hawkshadow123
01-01-2010, 04:30 PM
January 1st, 2010
Happy New Years! It's 2010! Whoo!:19: I'm thrilled!!!
I was up all last night, lol.
:help: Anyway....I got some bad news about one of my angelfish. His name is Boxer and he is in a 5 gallon hex tank (gonna upgrade to 35 gallon hex in....sometime in march) with another angelfish, Shepherd (they are both as small as a half dollar, mind you). I cycled the tank for 6 weeks, too, thank you very much. The pH is perfect, and everything else...but Boxer has finrot (its been getting worse) and I treated him with this thing called LifeGuard. And...it says to remove the Carbon Filter (yes, my filter has carbon), soo I did. I treated him (for 5 days, doing a water change after the 3rd day so he can get some OXYGEN) but its still not working! He had this finrot for a couple of weeks....And I'm having the feeling that Shepherd is nipping at his Boxer's fins...What do you guys think??

Still...I wanna breed Guppies! Or any other livebearer (although i like guppies and swordtails, but guppies are much smaller, lmao).:hmm3grin2orange:

I can't get any pics right now, I have to charge the battery (it takes ALL DAY to charge. that sux, lmao).

annageckos
01-01-2010, 05:40 PM
You need to get them both into a bigger tank now, not in a couple of months. A big part of the problem I would bet, is the stress of the tiny tank. They do grow quickly and will be stunted if left in the small tank. How long have they been in the tank. What are the parameters, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, numbers are needed. The fish will pick/fight with eachother because they are crowded. Angelfish are aggressive fish, they are cichlids. You should also be doing waterchanges atleast twice a week, waste builds up quickly in a tank that small.

Northernguy
01-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Ph is important but not nearly as important as your ammonia,nitrires and nitrates.
Have you been testing these levels.They are what tell you when your tank is cycled.

bluebluecow
01-02-2010, 04:02 AM
hi and welcome,

Your angels do need a bigger tank, what interested me is you want to breed guppys. Now I would return the angels to local fish shop, and instead get 1 male to 5 female guppys.a. Then you have 2 options when a female looks like she is about to drop fry either put her in a breeder tank, remove her once she has dropped, or have some good floating plant cover for the fry to hide in.

Liz

Hawkshadow123
01-02-2010, 04:09 AM
hi and welcome,

Your angels do need a bigger tank, what interested me is you want to breed guppys. Now I would return the angels to local fish shop, and instead get 1 male to 5 female guppys.a. Then you have 2 options when a female looks like she is about to drop fry either put her in a breeder tank, remove her once she has dropped, or have some good floating plant cover for the fry to hide in.

Liz
That is a very good idea. But sadly, my LFS doesn't allow any return backs on fish, tanks, and other stuff. That sucks....:scry:

Lady Hobbs
01-02-2010, 01:15 PM
The 35 gallon hex will be perfect if this is a mated pair of angels. If not, they will not get along in close quarters.

Water changes should be regular and large. Angels like clean water.

Hawkshadow123
01-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Januray 2nd, '10
BOXER IS GETTIN' BETTER, FOLKS. I am sooo happy!!!!! thumbs2: :19: I noticed a large (well, to ME its Large) change on his fins. It's much longer! I have another question, though (and I'll try to get pics really soon. probably on Sunday!). Um....should a treat him AGAIN....or should I leave him be and see what happens (if fins are growing more, etc.)?? I've racked my brain with this question, so....I've left the answer(s) to my fellow friends here at AC. :22:

Hawkshadow123
01-04-2010, 12:28 AM
JANUARY 2nd, 2010 (LATER THAT SAME DAY).
Well....I now noticed that BOXER IS A GIRL. OMG. aand shepherd IS A BOY. Aww...a mating pair. (gotta GET A 35 gallon tank NOOW. sigh, my dad will not allow it. he'd shudder at the idea of fry. LOL).

Y'see, I had pictures of Boxer and Shepherd BEFORE Boxer had gotten Finrot. They were always next to each other AND Shepherds fins were Much larger than that of Boxers (this was all BEFORE Boxer had gotten finrot). Soo, I now assume Boxer is a girl, but her name shall stay as...BOXER.