PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a Cray

doogle
12-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi does anyone know in the UK where to purchase a Cray? Also i fear my tank maybe rather small; if i post some pics will you guys tell me if its big enough?

Northernguy
12-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Crayfish do ok in ten gallon tanks but do better in 20gal and larger.
What size is your tank?
Most fish stores will get you a crayfish if you ask.They are easily caught in most lakes and streams.Just look under the rocks near shore.

annageckos
12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
What size tank do you have? Some crayfish get bigger than others. Some can get upto a foot long, but most common ones stay smaller than that at around six inches. Check out this site for some good crayfish info bluecrayfish.com. That is the site that actually got me back into fish keeping again.

Deleted User
12-31-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm in the UK.

If you have a maidenhead aquatics any where near you they should have them in. They have a great choice on there lists too.

I would advise you not to have it in with any fish though. :ssmile:

doogle
01-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Hi all, i have no purchased my cray and he seems happy enough if a little aggressive towards the tank screen lol! So i have a few questions if thats okay; do i need to keep my heater on all the time? I assume so, do I have to keep my air pump on at all times? And finally how often do i feed the cray? My pet guy recommended me these frozen fish which i plan to feed him.

Cheers!

doogle
01-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Anyone? Please?

rhonin
01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
I have two crays....

An American red in a 5g at about 4" (about max size)
An Australian red claw in a 100g with my red eared slider at about 8" - just shed and is a nice blue color - have to get pics when he comes out of hiding...

Find the habitat of the cray type you have and check the local conditions - those are likely the better way to keep them.

What kind did you get?

Enjoy!!

thumbs2:

ps: I did try a heater in with the Red and it spent 90% of the day trying to figure out how to unhook it. When it did it hid it in the rocks...

annageckos
01-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Depending on the kind of crayfish it is will depend on the temp it needs to be at. If you don't have a filter you will want to leave the air pump on all the time. But you should have a filter. You can feed a little bit a day or a couple of times a week. You should feed a varied diet like shirmp pellets, algea wafers, fish fillets, clam, shrimp almost any seafood you can get from the grocery store would be good. And some veggies. You will have to try different things to see what works.

Levi
01-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Make sure he can't get out, or he will go and have adventures in your house in the middle of the night.

You probably don't need the heater, but you can leave it in if you want; Depending on the species, crayfish can tolerate a HUGE range of temperatures, as long as the water isn't boiling or frozen.

Have fun, crayfish have lots of personality and they like to dig or build ramps and piles of gravel. It might seem like he hides and does nothing all the time, but don't be fooled.

EmmanuelJB
01-05-2010, 12:27 AM
I really want a crayfish too but I don't know where to find them either! I asked a pet store and they also told me I could go to a lake or river and get one. How big to the ones in the rivers and lakes get? If it matters im in Maine.

Levi
01-05-2010, 12:37 AM
I really want a crayfish too but I don't know where to find them either! I asked a pet store and they also told me I could go to a lake or river and get one. How big to the ones in the rivers and lakes get? If it matters im in Maine.

Depends on what species it is, where you caught it, what age it's put into captivity at, and your care/tank. Usually anywhere from 6in to 1ft.