PDA

View Full Version : Gar acting weird please help

Bennlfer
12-30-2009, 06:08 AM
Hey my Gar has been acting weird lately. Three days ago while i was feeding my fish, i looked over and saw him on his back spazzing out! :ssuprised: I was so scared and didn't know what to do, so i just grabbed my net and flipped him back over and waited. He corrected himself after a few minutes and resumed eating. I thought he choked on a big piece of shrimp, so i started cutting the shrimps in smaller pieces. Tonight when i fed him some shrimp, he went for it but missed and ended up on his back again, but this time he was calm. :scry: I flipped him over again and he was ok after a minute or so. Later on during the same feeding, he almost flipped over again going for another piece! :ssuprised: But he released the shrimp instead and corrected himself. He has been more lazy than usual (not crashed, just lazy) and is eating a bit less. Not too much less, but noticeable.

What do you think all this could be? Please help me as i love my gar very much and i want to do everything i can to help him. Thanks a bunch.

gm72
12-30-2009, 11:39 AM
I'll start by saying that I'm not comfortable with that number of fish of that size in a 135 gallon tank. Besides that though, does the fish have any overt signs of injury?

Crispy
12-30-2009, 11:52 AM
You might want to look into a swim bladder problem. I'm not sure on the symptoms, but this link will help you figure out if it's possibly the cause maybe. I would want the best for my gar too! Best of luck with him.

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/swimbladder_betta.php

Bennlfer
12-30-2009, 12:03 PM
No signs of Injury.. Thanks Crispy :ssmile:

Bennlfer
12-31-2009, 01:09 AM
Now he is crashed... :scry: He cant really swim straight anymore. He tips to the sides. Should i quarantine him?

Oscar_freak12321
12-31-2009, 01:24 AM
I would. That's just me though.

Demjor19
01-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Spinal injury is the first thing that comes to my mind. Small gar + large tank = spinal injury in so many cases. I would need some dorsal and lateral pics of the fish to confirm...or even a video. This is why I always say "raise small gars in smaller tanks". Gars are one of the few cases where you can actually give them too much room.

A swim bladder infection is also a strong possibility. Either way the prognosis isn't very possitive.

I hope the fish pulls through for you! Keep us updated.

p.s. sorry for the late reply. I was away for the holidays and just got your pm today.

Bennlfer
01-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Its ok. He is no longer with me though.. :scry: He's buried in my front yard.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Demjor19
01-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Its ok. He is no longer with me though.. :scry: He's buried in my front yard.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sorry to hear that.